Third Party Press

Thread: AWS bayonet mark

Default AWS bayonet mark

I picked up a very nice bayonet today with blade marked AWS inside a balance scale. There are no other marks on the blade or scabbard. I see the exact same bayo posted on another website, but it does not tell me the name of the maker. It is listed as a police bayonet. I am away from home with only the I pad to take pix. I apologize for the picture quality.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Senior Member BerlinerLuebecker's Avatar

What you have there is an Alcoso commercial bayonet like the one here: http://k98.free.fr/AWS-latewar.html

The experts can correct/confirm, but those are not easy to come by! Nice score.

Default Late war alcoso

That is where I found it originally. I have spent so much time on that site, I recognized the bayonet when I found it.

I see some discussion about a database. I would like to register mine (I have about 40).

Who would I contact?

Mike

The AWS is nice commerzial bayonet, most probably delivered to Police, do You have found any stamps on blade spine? The complet looks correct. Is dated to early war period.
    When You will send data, You could send it to me, through PM here or directly to ABlazicek@hotmail.com. Thanks, best regards,Andy
    PS the email on the page is already obsolete.
    We need maker codes, dates, serial number with letters, WaA, material of grips, bayonet and scabbard stamping and all undefined special stamps.

Default AWS markings

Hi Andy,

There are are no other markings on the bayonet or scabbard. There are no proofs on either piece. I have not removed the grips. I am usually reluctant to do so, but this piece is in wonderful condition, so I should be able to get them off with no problem.

I paid a whole $86.01 for this piece (80 plus tax).

I will send you a small spreadsheet with details of my other 98K bayonets.

Mike

Smile

Congratulation Mike, great piece and super cheap price. AWS with wooden grips are unmarked,so no need dissasemble the grips. Sometimes could be found stamps or serials on spine of blade. From the finish of blade i would date it to 1942/43 production.
    Thanks for sending datas.b.r.A.

Default I have a Alcoso bayonet I have a few questions about

it has a P. Weyhasersberg 1939 scabbard but as been renumbered that the numbers match the number on the bayonet
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Unutt View Post
    I picked up a very nice bayonet today with blade marked AWS inside a balance scale. There are no other marks on the blade or scabbard. I see the exact same bayo posted on another website, but it does not tell me the name of the maker. It is listed as a police bayonet. I am away from home with only the I pad to take pix. I apologize for the picture quality.
    According to Anthony Carter (The Sword and Knife Makers 0f Germany 1850-2000, Vol 1 A-L) the Alex Coppel Solingen "scales/ACS" marking was replaced sometime in 1940 with the "scales/AWS" marking, representing Alcoso Werke Solingen. These bayonets can be found with either red phenolic resin or wood grips. Most bear no other markings. Coppel did produce a number of Police contract bayonets which can be identified by any one of several acceptance stamps found on the blade spine. However, since these later production pieces do not have Police markings (though in all likelihood many did go to German Police organizations), such examples remain behoerden only.
    Last edited by pwcosol; 01-02-2019 at 09:36 AM.

8964 on crossguard is mostly a yugoslavian rework number, and the red plastic is not typical for this condition of blade mashining, the bayonet was probably made 1941/2 from what it looks. b.r.Andy

Very nice AWS, Mike. What you paid for it makes it even nicer. I got three new bayonets ( two with frogs) for Christmas. A KS98 that is all black except the blade (WWI ?) and I believe was never used. A Berhorden later issue, that is void of all marks except assembly numbers under grips, in an un-serialized S/155K scabbard and a 39 Durkopp. The weather here is wet and inside pics are too dark for detail, hope to be able to get pics soon so I can post them.
    " Hey, I got it from a long time dealer in Third Reich militaria years ago, so you know it`s real." Over heard comment at a table.