Third Party Press

AWS bayonet mark

Unutt

I picked up a very nice bayonet today with blade marked AWS inside a balance scale. There are no other marks on the blade or scabbard. I see the exact same bayo posted on another website, but it does not tell me the name of the maker. It is listed as a police bayonet. I am away from home with only the I pad to take pix. I apologize for the picture quality.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 66
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    221.3 KB · Views: 87
Late war alcoso

That is where I found it originally. I have spent so much time on that site, I recognized the bayonet when I found it.

I see some discussion about a database. I would like to register mine (I have about 40).

Who would I contact?

Mike

The AWS is nice commerzial bayonet, most probably delivered to Police, do You have found any stamps on blade spine? The complet looks correct. Is dated to early war period.
When You will send data, You could send it to me, through PM here or directly to ABlazicek@hotmail.com. Thanks, best regards,Andy
PS the email on the page is already obsolete.
We need maker codes, dates, serial number with letters, WaA, material of grips, bayonet and scabbard stamping and all undefined special stamps.

AWS markings

Hi Andy,

There are are no other markings on the bayonet or scabbard. There are no proofs on either piece. I have not removed the grips. I am usually reluctant to do so, but this piece is in wonderful condition, so I should be able to get them off with no problem.

I paid a whole $86.01 for this piece (80 plus tax).

I will send you a small spreadsheet with details of my other 98K bayonets.

Mike

Congratulation Mike, great piece and super cheap price. AWS with wooden grips are unmarked,so no need dissasemble the grips. Sometimes could be found stamps or serials on spine of blade. From the finish of blade i would date it to 1942/43 production.
Thanks for sending datas.b.r.A.

I have a Alcoso bayonet I have a few questions about

it has a P. Weyhasersberg 1939 scabbard but as been renumbered that the numbers match the number on the bayonet

Attachments

• DSCN0348.jpg
    DSCN0348.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1428.jpg
    IMG_1428.jpg
    296.1 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_1431.jpg
    IMG_1431.jpg
    293.4 KB · Views: 25
  • DSCN0345.JPG
    DSCN0345.JPG
    178.2 KB · Views: 26
I picked up a very nice bayonet today with blade marked AWS inside a balance scale. There are no other marks on the blade or scabbard. I see the exact same bayo posted on another website, but it does not tell me the name of the maker. It is listed as a police bayonet. I am away from home with only the I pad to take pix. I apologize for the picture quality.

According to Anthony Carter (The Sword and Knife Makers 0f Germany 1850-2000, Vol 1 A-L) the Alex Coppel Solingen "scales/ACS" marking was replaced sometime in 1940 with the "scales/AWS" marking, representing Alcoso Werke Solingen. These bayonets can be found with either red phenolic resin or wood grips. Most bear no other markings. Coppel did produce a number of Police contract bayonets which can be identified by any one of several acceptance stamps found on the blade spine. However, since these later production pieces do not have Police markings (though in all likelihood many did go to German Police organizations), such examples remain behoerden only.

Last edited:
8964 on crossguard is mostly a yugoslavian rework number, and the red plastic is not typical for this condition of blade mashining, the bayonet was probably made 1941/2 from what it looks. b.r.Andy

Very nice AWS, Mike. What you paid for it makes it even nicer. I got three new bayonets ( two with frogs) for Christmas. A KS98 that is all black except the blade (WWI ?) and I believe was never used. A Berhorden later issue, that is void of all marks except assembly numbers under grips, in an un-serialized S/155K scabbard and a 39 Durkopp. The weather here is wet and inside pics are too dark for detail, hope to be able to get pics soon so I can post them.

My alcoso

Here is my commercial alcoso bayonet. It came with a cof 43 scabbard. No other markings on it. Assuming it is an early war piece as well?

Attachments

• alcosso Bayonet2.jpg
    alcosso Bayonet2.jpg
    253.4 KB · Views: 39
  • Alcosso Bayonet.jpg
    Alcosso Bayonet.jpg
    292.1 KB · Views: 28
From rough mashining of blade i would think its a 1942 late or early 1943 piece. AWS - Alsoso Werke Solingen.Note the form of screw head. b.r.Andy

rough machined aws

Interesting. I have not seen an aws with rough machined blade like that.

Military Rifle Journal
Back