Third Party Press

byf 44 b block

jbmauser

Senior Member Eh
I'm extremely happy to add this nice b block to my MO collection. It's a pretty standard early byf 44 except for the upper band which is the less common speed milled then formed and welded variation. White glue stock with a red glue handguard and an Elite sight slider round things out.

y5gf.jpguwy6.jpg05ut.jpglnyy.jpgts61.jpg1pvm.jpgo9ju.jpgcg7f.jpgxi2o.jpg7ylm.jpghh48.jpgy9tn.jpg3mgw.jpgp3lm.jpgupnr.jpghp8w7.jpg5jw5.jpgksms.jpg3lc2.jpg20gl.jpg

Last edited:
Great photos! Looks like you are getting the hang of it. Nice rifle too.

I'm going to have to get a MO K98k at some point. I can fit two more one the cabinet; one has to be a Kar98a though to finish the type collection. Very nice condition!

T.

Just thought I'd bump this back up so we can compare the abc's of byf 44's.

Hope that's ok.

Can someone expelling the speed milled, but welded bands? If it is milled from a piece of skid steel, why does it have to be welded? I can understand this with one that is stamped, but not with milling. Apologies if this is a silly question.
Thanks, John

Can someone expelling the speed milled, but welded bands? If it is milled from a piece of solid steel, why does it have to be welded? I can understand this with one that is stamped, but not with milling. Apologies if this is a silly question.
Thanks, John

Can someone expelling the speed milled, but welded bands? If it is milled from a piece of solid steel, why does it have to be welded? I can understand this with one that is stamped, but not with milling. Apologies if this is a silly question.
Thanks, John
Good question John and not one that I can really explain myself. I'm not sure on the exact method of manufacture of these unusual bands. It almost looks stamped except for if you look at the head on view and the area where the diameter transitions from stock dia., to barrel dia. This area is thicker and looks like a typical milled band. I took some quick pics to help you see and decide for yourself on how or why these were made like this.

9nk3.jpgghlb.jpggulq.jpgi11q.jpg

I agree the top part looks milled and the lower portion stamped. I have several of the "speed milled" ones, but have never had one with the weld. Maybe someone can enlighten us further. I do have one that I originally thought was "speed milled", but has a roughish finish so wondered if it was sintered? how does one tell the difference and I wonder what the percentage of sintered to milled is? A fascinating subject to be sure.

Front Band Variations

There are several variations of front band fabrication in the mid-war period.

Will try and break them down.

1. Full machined version
2. Sintered metal
3. Pressed metal (classic late war stamped band).
4. Formed and welded metal billet
4a. Full enclosed
4b. H configuration

I am unsure if a full extruded front band was ever implemented so its off the list for now.

It would be interesting to see numbers for cost and time to produce each style of band. I doubt the documents are available with these numbers for all the different types.

Military Rifle Journal
Back