Third Party Press

bnz45 r block odd size laminate

mrfarb

No War Eagles For You!
Staff member
Picked this up from Dave Roberts, sort of. I basically made him sell it to me since he doesn't collect 45 dated stuff and I do. He found this at a Cabela's (same place as the K date that sold from there). I had someone email me about it a few weeks before Dave found it and he said it had sold, but Dave bought it a week after that guy emailed me last so not sure if they just pulled it from the shelves? I'm lucky to have gotten it!

I've had a restoration as my example of odd size laminate, they are pretty hard to find in collectible condition (meaning not sanded or dicked with). This one fits the bill, basically a new condition gun. The stock has one place above the bolt where its missing some wood which really seems to exemplify they weakness of the thick section of wood in the laminate. This one still has the well finished gas shield (some r blocks have the rough one). No phosphate at all on this rifle which is another trait you often see on r block bnz45's. Here are a few photos for reference.

Attachments

• rside.jpg
    rside.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 239
  • lside.jpg
    lside.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 279
  • DSC_0001.jpg
    DSC_0001.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 234
  • DSC_0005.jpg
    DSC_0005.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 265
  • DSC_0007.jpg
    DSC_0007.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 255
  • DSC_0008.jpg
    DSC_0008.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 256
  • DSC_0011.jpg
    DSC_0011.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 260
  • DSC_0012.jpg
    DSC_0012.jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 291
  • DSC_0013.jpg
    DSC_0013.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 294
  • DSC_0014.jpg
    DSC_0014.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 233
  • DSC_0015.jpg
    DSC_0015.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 265
Very nice! The bolt knob has a cool spiral machining to it. I had an odd size stock and I can see why they probably weren't used much, many spots of chipping and delamed wood, but it does make for a cool oddity.:thumbsup:

Another nice one Mike! I really like the odd size laminate wood. An interesting variation for sure.

The Heck You got it from me , This is all I got to see was Pics from store and Now from You . Thats the real killer . Never even got to hold it before it went to You . Damn You & Your Late War stuff. Now that all the Guys know what not to show You .
I have to say it really is a nice looking Example . Only wish I could have got my mitts on it :faint: Best Regards

Nice to see some late war action! This is a really beautiful odd-odd size with a lot going for it. Really early - mike is it the earliest pinstripe you've seen? Mine are in the S block and that seems more typical I think this is the only R I've seen. And let's not forget there's not a lot of R blocks around to start with. agree the earlier all blue bnz 45's kinda stand out, plus you gotta love the earlier TG with the lock screw holes left unused. I'm sure they're untapped too. The wood just has that great, completely untouched look. Really nice!

Nice to see some late war action! This is a really beautiful odd-odd size with a lot going for it. Really early - mike is it the earliest pinstripe you've seen? Mine are in the S block and that seems more typical I think this is the only R I've seen. And let's not forget there's not a lot of R blocks around to start with. agree the earlier all blue bnz 45's kinda stand out, plus you gotta love the earlier TG with the lock screw holes left unused. I'm sure they're untapped too. The wood just has that great, completely untouched look. Really nice!

This is the earliest odd size laminate gun I've seen reported, but I'll add that I don't have many reported.

I like this one a lot - nice pics, thank you.

Interesting the holes for the capture screw is there, but the main screw negates it - really shows the state the production was in, great find.

Yes, the triggerguard is interesting on a bnz45, but you can see no lock screw has ever been installed (luckily). The whole gun appears to be untouched. I've seen this type of triggerguard on late Steyr rifles before, probably just bottom of the bin situation. In the past collectors would try to "fix" a gun like this to conform to whats normal. There were probably a lot of guns "fixed" by well meaning collectors over the years.

I've got a "transitional" dou 44 - 6996bb - (sorry no pics handy and packed away) undrilled for a rod and also with untapped lock screw holes on a qnw TG just like this. It's neat cause it does show the transition but your right mike I'm sure some of these were "restored" over the years as folks assumed something was missing!

Cabela's. Go figure. Someone is spinning in his grave!

The barrel code is my initials, Mike- let me know when it can reside in my safe.

It pains me, it really does, because I absolutely LOATHE Steyr, BUT...

Nice gun

There, I said it. It probably won't happen again.

Military Rifle Journal
Back