Third Party Press

Original 1942 Izhevsk 91/30

RyanE

Baby Face
Staff member
I think this original 1942 Izhevsk 91/30, to date the only one I've seen, might actually give the worst bnz45 a run for its money in the crude department. At lot of corner cutting, and absolutely terrible quality all around. Chatter everywhere! This rifle is unissued with a mint bore and all its original parts with all original finish (except perhaps the stock). While there are a few minor condition issues, the metal isn't worn. The dip blue is just terrible, very thin with splotchy color and even nonexistent in places. Fit of most of the parts is poor. Stock fitting is sloppy, magazine housing is poorly assembled and rattles, bands don't fit well, etc. 1942 was to the Soviets what 1945 was to the Germans, and it definitely shows.

Inspector's initials on the stock 'ОГ' are the same as seen on almost all original 43 rifles, so I suspect this is late 42 piece. Additionally it appears they were transitioning from one commander/inspector to another as the (soon eliminated) barrel inspection 'АП' doesn't match as they usually do. I suspect these rifles left the factory unfinished, and the shellac was probably not added until much later, probably in the 1960s. I have some period photos of late 42 SVT that seem to support this idea. Where the thin, cheap shellac has chipped off, you can see the unfinished arctic birch underneath.

Best part: no import markings!:thumbsup:

Attachments

• Rifle Right.JPG
    Rifle Right.JPG
    212.5 KB · Views: 116
  • Rifle Left.JPG
    Rifle Left.JPG
    241.2 KB · Views: 91
  • Receiver Top.jpg
    Receiver Top.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 138
  • Bolt.jpg
    Bolt.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 117
  • Bolt Top.jpg
    Bolt Top.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 91
  • Bolt Top 2.jpg
    Bolt Top 2.jpg
    278 KB · Views: 101
  • Mag right.jpg
    Mag right.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 79
  • Mag Bottom.jpg
    Mag Bottom.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 89
  • Receiver REar Riight.jpg
    Receiver REar Riight.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 89
  • Recevier Front Right.jpg
    Recevier Front Right.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 86
  • REceiver REar Left.jpg
    REceiver REar Left.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 68
  • Receiver Front Left.jpg
    Receiver Front Left.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 78
  • Receiver Tang.jpg
    Receiver Tang.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 70
  • Sight Left.jpg
    Sight Left.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 62
  • Sight Right.jpg
    Sight Right.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 59
  • Stock RIght.jpg
    Stock RIght.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 78
  • Stock ACceptance.jpg
    Stock ACceptance.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 110
  • Buttplate.jpg
    Buttplate.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 83
  • Front Sight Right.jpg
    Front Sight Right.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 81
  • Front Sight Left.jpg
    Front Sight Left.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 71
I like it too. Looks like no import mark? Any background on this piece? I'm under the impression those without import marks are somewhat scarce but I don't focus much on these so I may have that wrong.

...I'm under the impression those without import marks are somewhat scarce but I don't focus much on these so I may have that wrong.

Not wrong. Non-import marked Mosins are not easy to find. Non-rebuilt matching examples are not common either.

That is a really neat 91/30 RyanE! The machining is absolutely terrible! I had a 1944 Ishevsk M44 that was pretty crude but nothing like this. My 1942 Ishevsk TT-33 wasn't this bad either.

Good find!

Beautiful example of the Soviet military situation in late 1942. I would love to own that rifle. Thanks for the photos. Ryan, do you own this rifle?

KJ

I like it too. Looks like no import mark? Any background on this piece? I'm under the impression those without import marks are somewhat scarce but I don't focus much on these so I may have that wrong.

No import markings, but this one just escaped being marked. Guy I bought it from pulled it out of the crate or so he says, so it isn't a bringback like my '38. As Pisgah noted, non-import, non-Finn matching 91/30 (or any Soviet weapon for that matter) are nearly impossible to locate. You can find imported non-refurbished examples mostly dated 1943 and 1944, though they are not at all common. The 43 and 44 rifles will sometimes have the factory matched (not a later force matched) bayonet included which is nice.

Beautiful example of the Soviet military situation in late 1942. I would love to own that rifle. Thanks for the photos. Ryan, do you own this rifle?

KJ

Yep, its mine. I now have a 38, 42, and 43. All are factory original examples.

Very nice Ryan. Farb has a '43 and I have a '44 with the original matched factory bayonet. It looks just like yours. I believe they came from the same source. Mine was an early import, cherry picked by someone who knew what they were doing and had access to batches of imports. He culled and pulled non-reworked, originals from the crates. There were very few of them. Mine is import marked, early tiny one line stamp on the barrel which are about gone from the way the bayonet was stored on it, point to the rear. I could probably tap a couple times and peen the import marks right off. Yours likely had them, from the same importer, lightly popped on there, which were obliterated by the mounting of the bayonet a couple times ;) Pic stickied for ref.

What is interesting is the reversal in quality of workmanship. Your '42 is very crude. Farb's '43 is somewhat crude, and my '44 is not crude. Here is Farb's '43:
http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread.php?8256-1943-Russian-91-30-Mosin-Nagant

My '44:
http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread.php?8276-M-91-30-Izhevsk-44

Last edited:

Military Rifle Journal
Back