Third Party Press

Need 8mm kurz reload recipe please

rpf2697

need reload recipe for 8mm kurz 7.92 x 33 Anyone have a good recommendation that will cycle reliably? I want it hot enough to function without jamming and have heard many reloads are not hot enough to duplicate the original round. Help would be appreciated.

8 kurz

I've been loading 125 gr. Hornady HP's in front of 21.3 IMR 4227 primed with the CCI mil spec #34 primers in FNM, Graff, or PPU cases.
My reformed .308 cases get 19.3 of the IMR 4227. Most any powder in that burn rate area should work ok.
These chrono around 2000 FPS and and shoot and cycle reliably in my semis or original MP44. Original German goes 2250. It's been said it is impossible to duplicate the original velocity with powder available to us reloaders.
I'd tend to believe this as if I load approaching even 2150 the primers get real flat.
FNM factory ammo goes 2150.
I have used Winchester, CCI standard, Remington magnum and Tula primers. I'll get a slamfire very rarely with any of those, but never with the CCI mil spec #34's.
Accurate 1680 works good at 22.6 or so, but the IMR 4227 seems to burn somewhat cleaner.
The latest Hornady load book has a 8 Kurz page. Their upper loads look like they'd be better for a bolt gun though, looking way hotter than I'd want to be shooting. I'm thinking I heard those loads were worked up in a 8 Kurz barreled K98.
Pete in St. Louis

I've been loading 125 gr. Hornady HP's in front of 21.3 IMR 4227 primed with the CCI mil spec #34 primers in FNM, Graff, or PPU cases.
My reformed .308 cases get 19.3 of the IMR 4227. Most any powder in that burn rate area should work ok.
These chrono around 2000 FPS and and shoot and cycle reliably in my semis or original MP44. Original German goes 2250. It's been said it is impossible to duplicate the original velocity with powder available to us reloaders.
I'd tend to believe this as if I load approaching even 2150 the primers get real flat.
FNM factory ammo goes 2150.
I have used Winchester, CCI standard, Remington magnum and Tula primers. I'll get a slamfire very rarely with any of those, but never with the CCI mil spec #34's.
Accurate 1680 works good at 22.6 or so, but the IMR 4227 seems to burn somewhat cleaner.
The latest Hornady load book has a 8 Kurz page. Their upper loads look like they'd be better for a bolt gun though, looking way hotter than I'd want to be shooting. I'm thinking I heard those loads were worked up in a 8 Kurz barreled K98.
Pete in St. Louis

Pete, any experience with IMR 4198? I've got data for min 20.0 gr (2070 fps) to max 23.0 gr (2310 fps) with a 125 gr projectile (from the Barnes book)

Unaware that Hornady published 8mm Kurz data, I'll check it out. I've used both 4227 and 4198 in 7.62x39 reloads, and prefer 4227. But as a newbie 8 kurz shooter, not sure how the slower 4198 would cycle a PTR-44.

4198??

Pete, any experience with IMR 4198? I've got data for min 20.0 gr (2070 fps) to max 23.0 gr (2310 fps) with a 125 gr projectile (from the Barnes book)

Unaware that Hornady published 8mm Kurz data, I'll check it out. I've used both 4227 and 4198 in 7.62x39 reloads, and prefer 4227. But as a newbie 8 kurz shooter, not sure how the slower 4198 would cycle a PTR-44.

I had some 4198 3 or 4 years ago that I used up a small amount of just because I had it. I'd remember if it did not work OK but figured the faster powders were more appropriate for the Kurz round. Never bought any 4198 after that. Not familiar with the Barnes book but those numbers look OK. I only load to around 1950 to 2050. Works my guns fine and hits the gongs hard. I have to hang a mesh tarp to my right to keep the ejects from going off into the hinterlands so there is no doubt they cycle just fine. Been shooting 125 gr. linotype cast in a NEI Handtools mold, HiTech coated and gas checked, sized .324. No leading and figure they cost me about 6 cents. Case life has been great as I know I've loaded many cases more than 7 or 8 times.
I've used a lot of Accurate 1680 and IMR 4227 as well as W680 and some WC820 I got at the Creek. The W680 is said to be same as the Accurate 1680 and seems to be. The WC 820 is said to be pulldown from .30 Carbine ammo and is somewhat quicker than any of the others mentioned.
Good luck!
Pete

I have been using the IMR 4198 for a long time,22 gr and Hornady 125 gr bullet works very reliably.
Also have been using the same amount of powder salvaged from Chinese 7.62x39 ammo.

Here in Canada we finally have an importer bringing in Prvi partizan bullets since the Hornady onces are very expensive and hard to find.
I bought a few bags and shot just a handfull,but was surprised that with the same amount of powder and same sight setting they
hit the target about 2 inches higher than the Hornady.
Since these are boattails and more shaped like the original WW2 the ballistic coefficient must be higher,I'll bring the Chrony to the range next time I'm out and do some recording.

7.92x33

1680 here. Lake City 7.62x39 surplus from the days that they were loading it for use in VN. It will match original MV in my guns. Lights tracer great as well. When you coming to AZ Rhett? JH

I have been using the IMR 4198 for a long time,22 gr and Hornady 125 gr bullet works very reliably.
Also have been using the same amount of powder salvaged from Chinese 7.62x39 ammo.

Here in Canada we finally have an importer bringing in Prvi partizan bullets since the Hornady onces are very expensive and hard to find.
I bought a few bags and shot just a handfull,but was surprised that with the same amount of powder and same sight setting they
hit the target about 2 inches higher than the Hornady.
Since these are boattails and more shaped like the original WW2 the ballistic coefficient must be higher,I'll bring the Chrony to the range next time I'm out and do some recording.

I had some 4198 3 or 4 years ago that I used up a small amount of just because I had it. I'd remember if it did not work OK but figured the faster powders were more appropriate for the Kurz round. Never bought any 4198 after that. Not familiar with the Barnes book but those numbers look OK. I only load to around 1950 to 2050. Works my guns fine and hits the gongs hard. I have to hang a mesh tarp to my right to keep the ejects from going off into the hinterlands so there is no doubt they cycle just fine. Been shooting 125 gr. linotype cast in a NEI Handtools mold, HiTech coated and gas checked, sized .324. No leading and figure they cost me about 6 cents. Case life has been great as I know I've loaded many cases more than 7 or 8 times.
I've used a lot of Accurate 1680 and IMR 4227 as well as W680 and some WC820 I got at the Creek. The W680 is said to be same as the Accurate 1680 and seems to be. The WC 820 is said to be pulldown from .30 Carbine ammo and is somewhat quicker than any of the others mentioned.
Good luck!
Pete

Thanks gents. Going to load some PPU brass with midrange charges of both powders and chrono the results.

Military Rifle Journal
Back