Third Party Press
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: byf42 'S319' Sheet Metal Trials Gun

Super Over the Top Moderator -1/2 bruce98k's Avatar

Default byf42 'S319' Sheet Metal Trials Gun

Here are a lot of comparison photos of the prototype sheet metal parts (TG, FP and follower) on SN S319. While not perfect, its the first one of these to surface. Mike has
    some recollection of seeing another 'S' prefix but so far no luck in digging any data on that one. The best we can come up with is that a run of these rifles with the new sheet metal
    components were assembled later in 1942 (stock is dated 33rd week of 1942).

I have some sheet engineering drawings that I will post up later. Mauser orgininally designed these components in 1942 with the initial production and use of sheet metal components showing up by early summer of 1943 (May - June, d to e blocks).

The comparison sheet metal parts are standard production parts from a 'd' block byf44.

The one detail photo of the front well of theTG shows the WR Mauser inspection stamp. Also note that the intial design of the sheet metal TG attempted to copy the build up on the front face of the guard ring (as found on milled guards). It was eliminated on the production model.

Also a big thanks to Eric for finding this on GB in the first place.

Added note: The metal finish on all the stamped parts is unusual in that it appears to have a granular appearance, almost 'bead blasted'. Another test run at finishing the sheet metal I suppose. A close examination of the photos will bear this out.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bruce98k; 10-17-2010 at 11:19 PM.

Default Perfect ?

This is why these forums are so great. This gun like most treasures doesn't have to be perfect to be valuable. Rare trumps perfection in this case.

I can say with certainty that I have never seen one, nor heard of another!

Very cool rifle, and all this is incredibly interesting for a great many reasons. Perhaps most of all the timing that this was being done in Germany, was nearly at the same time being done by Remington Arms, for the M1903A3.
    In the Mar/Apr 1943 Army Ordnance, they detail the effort Remington Arms did on a similar project to simplify, and conserve raw materials on the Model1903. In the article they show the differences with the trigger guard- quite striking.

Default Engineering dwgs. for sheet metal comps.

The second dwg. is for the design for the rear band with the design date of Oct.6, 1942 in the notes.
    Also is a date of 16 March 1943 under the part designation (number). The first dwg. is for the production
    version of the trigger housing, dated Nov. 1942 with a revision in March of 1943.

After looking at these drawings, it is likely that Mauser began bulk manufacturing and fabrication of
    the sheet metal components in March of 1943. This correlates nicely with the 'd' and 'e' blocks of
    1943 being the intial production using sheet metal components.

Dwgs. courtesy of Jon Speed.
    Last edited by bruce98k; 10-17-2010 at 06:45 PM.

Talking k98..

Great photos Bruce !! I'm so glad you ended up with this rifle. Cause ,I know this is what would happen to it. It would be shared. You did a great job fixing the trigger guard.
    You almost cant tell it was bent. This is an important rifle. So I assume it's a m.m. bolt only?. Makes sense to put out examples for field use. With any luck J.S. will turn out the blue prints on these pre-adoption stamped parts. Nice missing link..

Default Eng. dwgs

So far no luck on matching dwgs. up with these parts. Likely very early development.
    Also with the drawing revisions, these early features could have been wiped out.

I believe the best chance of nailing the whole program down would be to find some internal correspondence relating to the trial run.

Did you put the triggerguard over a mandrel form to get it back like that Bruce? VERY nice.

Incredible. Saving all the pictures!
    We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid

Is that a scope you have in your pocket?

Bruce
    The Rifle cleaned Up Very Nicely , and a great addition to the Collection. As Far as Surviving Example of this Rifle I would Classify it in Comparison to my BSW Objective Mount at least in Surviving Examples . This is the only one I have ever seen of this Type and as Far as Surviving Original Objective Mount Snipers I only know of Two that I would say without a doubt Original . As far as Total Numbers Produced not a Comparison to Your BYF 42 S319 Rifle . Best Regards

A great rifle that ended up on the right collection. Even without drawings, you can tell these parts are prototypes and original!
    Order the new K98k book at www.thirdpartypress.com
    Don't forget to visit www.latewar.com for info on late war 98k's.

Its stuff like this that will keep the hobby fresh and active..

**--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    **Wanted - Original un-dicked with late Steyr (bnz45) stock... Long shot but......
    ** --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------