Third Party Press

New BYF 44 d block and some questions

DWM1915

Just received a BYF d block I picked up on auction and a couple of things are making me nervous (I'm still in the 3 day return window). Rear site has no proofs, anywhere or numbers. It does have the RW on the bottom but nothing else. Aging and patina seem consistent with the rest of the gun, is this correct? Stock disk has an Eagle 26 proof? Stock itself has the correct Eagle 135 on the side and keel but why the E/26 on the disk? And the bolt, nothing on the side or bottom, shouldn't one or both have proofs? Here's some pictures of the question area's. Opinions greatly appreciated.

Barrel code is 43R316.

thanks, Nick

IMG_2917.JPGIMG_2921.JPGIMG_2922.JPGIMG_2923.JPGIMG_2927.jpgIMG_2925.JPGIMG_2926.JPGIMG_2928.JPGIMG_2936.JPGIMG_2937.JPGIMG_2946.JPGIMG_2947.JPGIMG_2949.JPG

and a couple more pics of the other numbered parts. Will try to get some stock pictures tomorrow with better light but handguard and barrel channel are both numbered (5-digit) to the gun.

Thanks, Nick

IMG_2938.JPGIMG_2939.JPGIMG_2940.JPGIMG_2941.JPGIMG_2943.JPGIMG_2944.JPGIMG_2945.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2927.JPG
    IMG_2927.JPG
    40.7 KB · Views: 65
Pictures aren't real helpful for me, maybe others will do better at looking at them. You may consider wanting to purchase some reference books in the near future; this way you may have the answers you seek before you buy. Not trying to be rude, just a suggestion.

I think some looks at the wood will help. Should be three acceptance in the wood (wrist, keel, and right side). Photograph what you can, and the barrel channel numbers too. Nothing so far scares me.

I think some looks at the wood will help. Should be three acceptance in the wood (wrist, keel, and right side). Photograph what you can, and the barrel channel numbers too. Nothing so far scares me.

Thanks Bob, here are some additional pictures of the stock and bolt. The stock has the WaA135 on the side behind the takedown disk and on the keel, there is not a proof at the wrist. Stock is numbered on both the Handguard and barrel channel.

Sorry for the poor picture quality, I was doing this late and not under the best lighting, I should be able to get some natural light this afternoon and add some better pictures.

Nick

IMG_2950.JPGIMG_2951.JPGIMG_2955.JPGIMG_2956.JPGIMG_2957.JPGIMG_2958.JPGIMG_2959.JPGIMG_2961.JPG

no issues there.. auction photos showed all needed to know it as ok. less the internal stock numbers. Mauser k98's become more and more blank as time goes on. Byf44's stay pretty consistent till the i block then slight changes are made in the k & L blocks.. Then remain pretty much the same till the end of production...

Byf 44 f block

I have a byf 44 in the f block and my rear sight only has the RS proof also. The bolt root is proofed WaA 140 and the stock disk is unmarked. My safety is also unnumbered and the patina matches the rest of the metal. It could be a replacement but I think it's original. This was an attic gun that I found at a yard sale.

Thanks guys, I'm real happy with the rifle, in hand it's got just a nice even patina and look, guess it kind of threw though when I couldn't find a proof or number on the rear site or on the bottom of the bolt, my other MO's are all consistently proofed/marked so I was a bit surprised not to see them on this one. I'm not sure it had ever been disassembled, there was a line of grease/wax in the space between the barrel and wood and also around the trigger guard, both were "sticky" to come apart.

I've had some good luck the past few months with 44's, I've picked up matching CE, DOU, and now MO, guess I'll have to finish it out and track down a BNZ and DOT!

nick

Military Rifle Journal
Back