Third Party Press

DD early LW with amazing decals

Nick H

Hey this is a helmet I reshoot.

The condition of the decals are amazing. The paint has just some surface rust spots of bad storage.

Name inside

Cheers
Nick

Attachments

• _DSC0245.jpg
    _DSC0245.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 168
  • _DSC0247.jpg
    _DSC0247.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 131
  • _DSC0249.jpg
    _DSC0249.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 112
  • _DSC0251.jpg
    _DSC0251.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 116
it could be the photos themselves but, the inside and outside look totally different ?? Also the shell appears to have a rough finish ? Again.. when putting up photos for show or discussion better shots are required to be 100% sure.. I hope Im wrong..

yes the light was different when the inside was taken.

Here is an older picture I've took. The finish isn't rough but matt, that a sign of an unissued helmet

Nick

Attachments

• M35 DD early lw liner.jpg
    M35 DD early lw liner.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 78
that interior photo looks much better.. a straight leg luft droop tail dates the helmet to 1938 and that when the reinforced aul liners showed up. So it all mates up.

the unit stamp is behind the liner.

Attachments

• DSCN0017.JPG
    DSCN0017.JPG
    99 KB · Views: 66
  • M35 FLAK.jpg
    M35 FLAK.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 60
Nice mint helmet Nick H!

I presume it never left the shelve of the depot of Flak Rgt 6.

Cheers,
Peter

I have had a couple very similar. In this photo it shows the helmets true color. Most people don't know that early luft helmets and visors have unit stamps on the inside of the liner or sweat band. They have to be flipped to see what Reg. or Stab. they were issued to. If rare or a fighter squadron it makes a normally priced piece double or triple in value... Keep this our little secrect...

A beautiful unissued DD Luft helmet! It is nice to see them in this condition.

I did some research into Luftwaffe decals applied by the ET factory, and have found out this basic timetable:

autumn 1935 - mid 1938 Snake-leg Luftwaffe decal (2000 - 3800)
Early 1938 - autumn 1939 Straight-leg Luftwaffe decal (3600 - 4400)
1937 - mid 1943 Second pattern Luftwaffe decal (3000 - 3400CKL)

By this listing, it would appear that there was a time during early - mid 1938 when all three types of Luftwaffe decals were being factory applied.

That's a real nice DD Luft had one years ago like it in a darker blue not no where near in the shape as yours. timothy

Need...

That is a slot I need to fill in my LW lid collection..need one at least in the same room as that beauty.:thumbsup:

The last time I had DD Lufts that nice, they were included in a large grouping directly from a 95th Div. vet. Dome stamps were gorgeous and both were flak unit marked but one helmet had been stacked inside the other, which left a discernible ring in the paint and decals on the other. No problem though, because a WI collector traded me a nice '76 Winchester for both. The dealer who had previously looked at the items the old folks had had tried to low-ball them by claiming that some pieces "weren't right." They didn't relate what they told him but a buddy gave them my name. I told them that I would pay 50-70% of retail for everything on a piece-by-piece basis and bought everything, which sold quickly. They even had me stay for lunch. The best part was that everything had been carefully stored and their children hadn't gotten to any of it.

Military Rifle Journal
Back