Third Party Press

JPS Gew98 length barrel comparison - 98m & 98b

mrfarb

No War Eagles For You!
Staff member
This is a comparison of 2 different rifles with replacement barrels manufactured by JPS in 1938. Of interest is the placement of the firing proof on the barrel of the Spandau 98m compared to the 98b, due to the different periods the barrels were replaced.

First is a 98m:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Next is a 98b:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• bblcode.jpg
    bblcode.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 129
  • bbltop.jpg
    bbltop.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 125
  • bsw.jpg
    bsw.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 127
  • code.jpg
    code.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 126
  • rr.jpg
    rr.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 125
  • serial.jpg
    serial.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 125
  • code.jpg
    code.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 121
  • karab.jpg
    karab.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 122
  • rr.jpg
    rr.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 122
  • serial.jpg
    serial.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 119
  • top.jpg
    top.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
You never told me you picked up a 98b! You sure are off into the weeds these days! (For a latewar dude!)

Anyway, I assume the Spandau is in a Gew.98 stock and there are no depot markings (buttstock, wrist or buttplate?) I will have to re-examine all the Gew.98M's to see if I overlooked a pattern, as this is the first upgraded Gew98 that I have seen w/o the "S" patrone on the top of the barrel (that I recall).

Perhaps because the r/s is a sS patrone sight they didn't mark it, but you would think that would be common enough on the 1935-37 upgrades.. this does support the conclusion this "S" marking on the barrel was done at the reworking depot level, not mfg that way.

I will examine and compare the Gew98M barrels (whether "S" patrone marked) and what kind of r/s it has, whether it has a dual compliance or the later sS patrone sights.

Just goes to show how little we really understand this period of rifle manufacture & repair.

Also, as per JoeS "S" vs. "sS" patrone observations, which will be in the next MRJ, the differences between the rounds / barrels are essentially one of rear sights, and the internal dimensions are not a significant concern ("sS" patrone being fired in an "S" patrone barrel- though he does point out that the reverse might not be true, that a "S" patrone bullet fired in a "sS" dimensioned barrel might not be such a good idea)

I will save the fine details for the next issue, but he goes into some detail and even drew us a picture!

This topic was discussed to a degree on the Gunboards Mauser side a year or two back, but before the Great War ended, the Germans issued several orders regarding the use of, the then new, sS patrone for rifle use. The issue seemed to be one of limited supply, and according to German reports short range (under 500m I believe) the accuracy was tolerable- this is with the then standard lange r/s of course.

In the interwar period, a dual compliance r/s was used, to better accommodate both rounds; only in 1929/30 did the Germans adopt the sS patrone officially.

Last edited:
Well, I've lost my mind a little as of late thats for sure, but for me I'd have to say the Weimar period is one of the most interesting as far as manufacturing/reworking goes. Lots of different stuff going on. That and I'm in charge of writing the 98b chapter. :facepalm:

The learning curve is great, and JoeS doesn't know it yet but he's going to help. :laugh:

On the Gew98M sn 1456c, the stock has an odd (to me) depot marking. I got this from Mauser99, it's a great gun!

Edit- I always thought this was K9 marked, but in the photo you can clearly see the marking is Kg. Königsberg?

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• k9.jpg
    k9.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 97
  • wrist.jpg
    wrist.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:

Military Rifle Journal
Back