Third Party Press

Thread: Ar 42 with FD 20 mark on stock

Default Ar 42 with FD 20 mark on stock

Ar 42 with FD 20 mark on stock. There also a trace of a round mark near the FD20 mark. What are FD 20 ?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Some type of post war "rack" number I would say. Nice looking one! That active rust needs to be dealt with.

Quote Originally Posted by mto7464 View Post
    Some type of post war "rack" number I would say. Nice looking one! That active rust needs to be dealt with.
    Hi mto. Yes have not done anything with it. Need some oil and "rust remover"

Great rifle, and a hard to find code and date here in the US. Thanks for posting, pic stickied for reference.

That is a rack or property number, but who knows when it was applied. I would guess odds were just as good that it was applied pre-1945.

Quote Originally Posted by stabsfeldwebel2 View Post
    Hi mto. Yes have not done anything with it. Need some oil and "rust remover"
    NO RUST REMOVER. Get some bronze wool and carefully remove it. Or just soak it in some penetrating oil of some kind a work on it with a cotton rag. Do nothing else.

Seems to have been a stock disc on it at one time. I would say post war but who knows for sure. Still a very nice rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by mto7464 View Post
    NO RUST REMOVER. Get some bronze wool and carefully remove it. Or just soak it in some penetrating oil of some kind a work on it with a cotton rag. Do nothing else.

Seems to have been a stock disc on it at one time. I would say post war but who knows for sure. Still a very nice rifle.
    Good eye on the stock disc! Ballistol on bronze wool or a bronze brush is about as harsh as I would get. Then too I would be careful not to remove it down to white and pits.

Default ..............................

Very nice rifle and hard code to find
    98K Collector

Excellent ar 42! My first K98 was an ar 42

I would think the FD20 mark was wartime applied given the rifles overall condition. Wherever it was, it wasn't used much, likely stored on a rack somewhere.

Cool that the receiver lacks the final E/26 proof, guess they hadn't started placing it there this early.

Thanks for sharing!