Third Party Press

"bcd 4" Numbers Matching K98 Questions Pic HEAVY! dial up not recommended!

RHA

"bcd 4" Numbers Matching K98 Questions Pic HEAVY! dial up not recommended!

Hello,

Went to an auction today to bid on a couple of sporterized Mauser rifles. They turned out to be in pretty rough condition so I didn't bid much on them.

Just before the auction started, I spotted a couple of original Mauser rifles. One of which is the one listed in the subject line. From what I saw of this one, it had matching numbers, condition was okay. When I discovered the duffle cut with old dried glue from an attempt to repair, I thought there was a decent chance it was original.

Whatever you can tell me about this particular rifle would be appreciated. The general information that this is a "K98 Mauser" chambered in 8mm Mauser do know. Any particulars that make this one more or less collectible is what I am looking for.

All numbers (except cocking piece and shroud) match. Condition of metal is okay with thinning bluing. Bore has STRONG rifling and us nice and shiny. Wood had knicks and dings.

Locking spring for the front band is missing.

This the first "numbers matching" WWII K98 I have purchased and doing so on a hunch, it wouldn't surprise me if I missed something.

I know pictures are very useful, so I have included a LOT of them.

What value would you put on this rifle? I purchased it to sell to hopefully pay for the gas money and time. It needs a home with someone who will appreciate it.

DSCN8264_zpsf701e410.jpg

DSCN8262_zpsc5e0795c.jpg

DSCN8263_zps7970476e.jpg

DSCN8261_zps942649dc.jpg

DSCN8278_zpseb8e21e8.jpg

DSCN8274_zpsd1000832.jpg

DSCN8271_zps0c059c92.jpg

DSCN8265_zps189d8e50.jpg

DSCN8269_zpsc3777317.jpg

DSCN8270_zpsd6390731.jpg

Nice looking rifle.

At the time of publish a bcd4 I now own was the only known rifle with the ovx marking on stock.

It was suspected that there was more but not too many people check that spot.

I've seen one other since. Seems as though there are more!

Nice looking rifle.

At the time of publish a bcd4 I now own was the only known rifle with the ovx marking on stock.

It was suspected that there was more but not too many people check that spot.

I've seen one other since. Seems as though there are more!

I tried to make a point of posting every mark I could find.

What does "OVX" or other similar marks refer to?

Nice Catch

Thanks for the great photos! There is a thread on the forum that should be able to help you fix the duffle cut stock if you are so inclined.

Thank you for the information.

Bringing this back to the top to see if anyone has an opinion about the mismatched shroud and cocking piece?

Thanks again.

Noticed this one up on GB. Wasn't sure if you tried here first. Usually nice rifles don't last too long in the trader section here. Good luck with the auction.

The cocking piece and safety have circle z proofs indicating they are to a vz-24 made rifle--it is likely the shroud came from a vz-24 as well. It is possible these were replaced during the war, but just as likely someone replaced mismatched parts with these parts as they are not numbered. The rifle has substantial finish loss from steel wool damage. You can tell this from the fine scratching in many areas of the rifle.

Last edited:
Noticed this one up on GB. Wasn't sure if you tried here first. Usually nice rifles don't last too long in the trader section here. Good luck with the auction.

Will likely put it up here. Was on vacation for two weeks with the family and GB let me control the length of the auction. Did not want it to sell when I was 2000 miles away and unable to ship.

Military Rifle Journal
Back