Third Party Press

A little disappointed with Vol 3

Deputy

Banned
Just got my Kriegsmodell Vol. 3 yesterday. I flipped through it and saw some beautiful pictures. I own an all-matching dou44, so that was my main interest. Nice details about that rifle. I will say I am a bit disappointed with one thing; flipping through the book I found two pages dedicated to the STG44, along with pictures. While it may be interesting and historically informative to know that certain 98k factories switched production to that rifle, I bought the book to read about the late-war 98k. There are other, more detailed books on the STG44, and if I wanted to know about that rifle, I would buy them. I would have much preferred more pictures of Kriegsmodell rifles, rather than what I consider "filler" pages about the STG44. I am sure there are plenty or people on this forum, including myself, that would have been happy to send in very nice pics of their Kriegsmodell rifles for use in the book. Here's mine:

MAUSER98KDOU44KRIEGSMODELLTRANSITIONALMATCHINGEXCBORESANDEDampREBLUEDBYVET_zpsdabae8ca.jpg

MAUSER98K, DOU44KRIEGSMODELL, TRANSITIONAL, MATCHING, EXCBORE, SANDED and REBLUED BY VET

you are disappointed becaused 2 out of 400 pages involve the mp44 (which relates directly to the cessation of k98 production as you noted)? Tough crowd, hope you dont own any other k98 books! :googlie

I have to agree, including photos of MP44's and information was directly related and proof of the code change at Steyr to swjXE, and the JP Sauer MP44 was shown to show the use of blue finishes even on late 45 dated MP44's. The swjXE MP44's are accepted as legitimate, but many collectors disregard the swjXE 98k because they don't believe the code was real- the inclusion of that information was important. However, if that's your only gripe I guess that's a win? :facepalm:

By the way, most of the photos that are submitted by collectors are not up to the quality needed for print.

you are disappointed becaused 2 out of 400 pages involve the mp44 (which relates directly to the cessation of k98 production as you noted)? Tough crowd, hope you dont own any other k98 books! :googlie

Yep. I didn't pay nearly 100 samolies to see and read about an STG44. Who cares if it relates to the cessation of the 98k? Could have been two more pages of 98k pics and info. And I do own "Backbone of the Wehrmacht". Funny thing, but that book didn't feel the need to talk about guns other than the 98k.

What you should do it paste photos of your Kriegsmodell rifle over the Stg44 pictures.

You might be careful about Chapter 9, it's pictures of bayonets and slings. And Ch.10 has boxes and stuff.

I have to agree, including photos of MP44's and information was directly related and proof of the code change at Steyr to swjXE, and the JP Sauer MP44 was shown to show the use of blue finishes even on late 45 dated MP44's. The swjXE MP44's are accepted as legitimate, but many collectors disregard the swjXE 98k because they don't believe the code was real- the inclusion of that information was important. However, if that's your only gripe I guess that's a win? :facepalm:

By the way, most of the photos that are submitted by collectors are not up to the quality needed for print.

Again...who cares? confused2.gif

The book is supposed to be about the 98k. Not the STG. And if the authors wanted nice pics, all they had to do was specify resolution and size requirements to those who wanted to submit them. I have seen plenty of pics on this forum and elsewhere that were just as good as, if not better than the pics in the book. I wonder how much of the first book has irrelevant info about non-98k rifles? Makes me hesitant to buy it. frown5.gif

What you should do it paste photos of your Kriegsmodell rifle over the Stg44 pictures.

You might be careful about Chapter 9, it's pictures of bayonets and slings. And Ch.10 has boxes and stuff.

Actually, I scanned nice pics of 98ks from "Backbone" and stuck them over the irrelevant STG stuff. Looks quite nice. :laugh:

As to the accessories, there weren't any STG accessories, so I left them alone. Wonder why he left them off? I am sure someone wants to know what sling goes on which STG. rolleyes5.gif

As one of the authors of Kriegsmodell I can tell you your opinion counts. I'm printing out your suggestions on soft paper for later use.

I'm a little disappointed in Vol. 1. It was a signed volume that I demanded be dedicated and signed to me with the dedication I recommended and not only was there no dedication, but half of a flattened Sonic onion ring was between pages 406 and 407. That's bullshit, and it tasted stale.

I'm a little disappointed in Vol. 1. It was a signed volume that I demanded be dedicated and signed to me with the dedication I recommended and not only was there no dedication, but half of a flattened Sonic onion ring was between pages 406 and 407. That's bullshit, and it tasted stale.

You are dead to me. That Onion ring was shaped like a Kriegsmodell stock, it wasn't meant to be eaten. It was special!

_41063463_pg_mary_toast_ap.jpg

I think this is the most bizarre thread I have ever seen on the forum. And we have had a few really weird ones. :googlie

Just a tip of the hat to the author's for the sheer marketing genius in making up this thread. I mean, I am correct.........this is a marketing ploy isn't it?

I like threads like this. Constructive criticism is healthy. That and our genius marketing.

It's all hype. First pictures of things other than a kriegsmodell, then mashed half eaten food. I guess Vol.2 will be scratch and sniff?

I would have much preferred two onion rings to two pages of STG44 useless info. Then again, Sonic has some excellent tater tots. I would have paid EXTRA for too stale, hardened tater tots if they were in place of the STG44 pages. :thumbsup:

Hey...maybe if I buy the book on the STG44, I can find out about the 98k? I'm sure that author printed a bunch of pages about it. :biggrin1:
Or I'll buy some Jan Still books on the Luger for P-38 info. Maybe buy a book on S&W to find out about Colt. The authors may have started a new trend here.

Well I caved and bought Vol 1 today. Two reasons for doing so:
#1 I got it dirt cheap-brand new on E-Bay.
#2 I am hoping it will include at least two pages on the M1871 Mauser. I mean it is so closely related to the 98k that it would be irresistible to write about. :rofl:

Too Funny

This is the best laugh I have had in a couple of days. I guess I have been working too much. Thanks guys.

Hi,
Interesting but my grasp of English is not good enough to understand some of the comments on this page ,what is sonic and onions?

Military Rifle Journal
Back