Third Party Press
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: A little disappointed with Vol 3

Quote Originally Posted by don w View Post
    Hmm, does this guy remind you all of anyone?

Someone with a chip on their shoulder?
    Someone who makes unfounded accusations?
    Someone who likes to pick fights?

Lets ponder this.
    Tell you what. If you are trying to do a "guess who", give up. I am not posing under an assumed name or associated with anyone else who may have posted something you object to on the forum. I have no doubt one of the MANY mods-authors has the ability to check my IP address and has probably already done so. Nice try, though. icon7.png
    Pic fights??????? Put em' up! Them's fightin' words. Oh brother rolleyes5.gif
    If there's a "chip" on my shoulder, it's probably a chocolate chip. I like them.
    Unfounded? Did you not SEE the STG44 stuff?

Mr. Farb...I give up. How does pics of rifles "fix this thread".icon5.png
    Should I print them out and paste them over the STG pages? icon7.png

Seeing as you do not want to take Farb's peace offering... which is no surprise, as it was obvious by page two you were not here for constructive criticism... we might as well continue along this path as it beats talking about "real problems".

Quote Originally Posted by Deputy View Post
    Tell you what. If you are trying to do a "guess who", give up. I am not posing under an assumed name or associated with anyone else who may have posted something you object to on the forum. I have no doubt one of the MANY mods-authors has the ability to check my IP address and has probably already done so. Nice try, though. icon7.png
    Pic fights??????? Put em' up! Them's fightin' words. Oh brother rolleyes5.gif
    If there's a "chip" on my shoulder, it's probably a chocolate chip. I like them.
    Unfounded? Did you not SEE the STG44 stuff?

Mr. Farb...I give up. How does pics of rifles "fix this thread".icon5.png
    Should I print them out and paste them over the STG pages? icon7.png

Indeed they are different and just as you have been allowed to express your perspective freely, I can offer a different opinion to why yours are baseless and wrong. Or is it your expectation that only you can offer a different "taste" to what is acceptable?

I am fully aware that other books often get critical reviews, often even more crudely and arrogantly expressed than you have shared with us today, however for that criticism to have merit it should be argued intelligently, - your argument is based simply on a preference in how the rifles are approached, one very few collectors would appreciate. You seem to think that authors should only base a study on observed rifles, not the company, how they were made or the influence other products had on the primary topic (the rifles), as though they were made in a vacuum and there were no outside influences... the wartime conditions had considerable influence on how they were made, even beyond the company the economy and war situation had a profound impact of how the rifles were made.

I would suggest you not get your little heart set on this subject not being broadened further in newer books, if anything the events of 1939-1944 will demand a broader explanation to the variations seen. You cannot separate them unless you are planning on making a simple booklet or "gun show" guidebook.

Awwww...so sorry if my tastes are DIFFERENT than yours. Pound this subject? Good grief sir. What I posted was hardly a "pounding". I have seen book critics rip a book to shreds for a lot less than what I posted. You should be thankful.

Quote Originally Posted by Loewe View Post
    Indeed they are different and just as you have been allowed to express your perspective freely, I can offer a different opinion to why yours are baseless and wrong. Or is it your expectation that only you can offer a different "taste" to what is acceptable?

I am fully aware that other books often get critical reviews, often even more crudely and arrogantly expressed than you have shared with us today, however for that criticism to have merit it should be argued intelligently, - your argument is based simply on a preference in how the rifles are approached, one very few collectors would appreciate. You seem to think that authors should only base a study on observed rifles, not the company, how they were made or the influence other products had on the primary topic (the rifles), as though they were made in a vacuum and there were no outside influences... the wartime conditions had considerable influence on how they were made, even beyond the company the economy and war situation had a profound impact of how the rifles were made.

I would suggest you not get your little heart set on this subject not being broadened further in newer books, if anything the events of 1939-1944 will demand a broader explanation to the variations seen. You cannot separate them unless you are planning on making a simple booklet or "gun show" guidebook.
    And BTW...opinions can neither be right or wrong. As opinions, they are not capable of being judged. They are personal reactions.
    So what part of the book are you responsible for? Hopefully not the part where "effected" is misused. That's kind of a high school error.
    And please clarify...how do a few random pictures equate with a peace offering????

And BTW...opinions can neither be right or wrong. As opinions, they are not capable of being judged. They are personal reactions.
    So what part of the book are you responsible for? Hopefully not the part where "effected" is misused. That's kind of a high school error.
    And please clarify...how do a few random pictures equate with a peace offering????
    It's pretty clear you are trolling now. Please stop posting on our forum and remove yourself. I'm asking you nicely so as to save you the embarrassment of doing it myself. You obviously just want to antagonize everyone, seems your original posting was meant just for that.

We are a family here, we all get along and help each other. Some folks just can't do that and I can appreciate that. This forum is obviously not up to your level.

I leave you with my two favorite quotes. "Life is too short to suffer fools." and "You can't save everybody."
    Order the new K98k book at www.thirdpartypress.com
    Don't forget to visit www.latewar.com for info on late war 98k's.

Forget about unrelated content, the first and last pages are blank. What's up with that?

Is that an opinion or a fact?

As for affect vs. effect, if you are asking do I confuse verbs with nouns, yes sometimes. As for the peace offering, it was an "opinion" of Mikes motive, it could have been wrong, but I have known him for awhile now and he typically isn't confrontational.

Default My complaint

Only Bruce signed my Volume ! not Mike... I guess he got a big head after Vol. 3........

Partial Quote
    Now, I will show how big a man I am (compared to other tiny minds in this thread) and apologize to the AUTHORS ONLY. Slash correctly pointed out that "Backbone" also has some pages about non-98k weapons. I missed that and for that I am sorry. Now, is there a thread where I can point out word useage errors in this book? Seems like the spell checker worked okay, but the proof reader must have been eating tater tots while on the job...

Page 277. Second sentence on that page. The word is "effected". It should be "affected". Here's the difference in meaning:

http://www.diffen.com/difference/Affected_vs_Effected

Partial Quote
    Agreed. Never said you didn't have a write http://www.diffen.com/difference/Right_vs_Write to voice them. I am the one that they are attempting to squelch. The hero worship is not a knock on those who worked on the book. I have no doubt great effort was put into it. What I complained about was STRICTLY my opinion. The hero-worshipping comment was aimed at the masses who treat the authors with some kind of special treatment above and beyond what is normal. On second thought, it appears it's not really the "masses" that are after me, but mainly the mods. I am still wondering about so many mods on a relatively small and inactive forum. Are you guys anticipating an invasion from the M1 Garand forum or what?
    Hmmmm, what's that old saying about glass houses and stones?

respectfully,
    Denny Gaither
    (One of the proof reader/spell checkers)

p.s. I love tater tots....
    Last edited by denny gaither; 07-10-2014 at 10:00 AM.
    WANTED TO REPURCHASE!! WALTHER PISTOL MODEL PP - AC CODE - Ser. No. 382000P
    REWARD FOR INFO ABOUT THIS PISTOL!!

Cool

you think you are disappointed.. my copy had a nude centerfold of Bruce and Mike !

the two pages of mp44 info is nothing compared to that...