Third Party Press

My K98 PEM "Field Armorer" Build

Raupleminze

Hey guys,

I recently got this build back from the gunsmith and am quite pleased! I figured that I would share it with you guys. For those of you not familiar there is proof that the German Wehrmacht used captured Soviet mounts and optics on the eastern front in WW2. Some of you may be familiar with this image that clearly shows an example of such a rifle:

Well after seeing that picture and realizing that I had never really seen anybody post an example of such a rifle I knew I wanted one. The combination of the K98's great design and the ballistics of the 8mm round are a great platform. Then to combine that platform with the wonderful Soviet PEM scope with a sharp pointed reticle and easy to adjust windage and elevation turrets to me is genius.

So the search began for a nice example of a K98 capture rifle. I was able to find a nice DOU 43 from a member of Snipershide.com for a great price. The rifles receiver code wasn't of any importance since it wouldn't be a factory build so I thought it would work fine. It came with an aftermarket SSR cut stock that I will use for a future build and a bunch of other misc. parts.

I wasn't a big fan of the darker "dot" cupped buttplate stock that was on it initially so I sold that one to pay for a beat up reddish laminate stock. I made that purchase from a friend on Gunboards.com (bolt56) and I think it matches the theme of the rifle more. It even has some initials carved into it.

Next on the list was to find a reproduction PEM mount. An original was going to be very expensive and hard to find. Not to mention an original should most likely be used for a restoration and not a "tribute build". I had remembered using an "Igor" mount for the '42 PEM build and was pleased so I ended up purchasing a couple of the last remaining mounts he had.

I had initially planned on using a Coles Distributing Ukrainian reproduction PE scope. However the fine adjustment ring prohibits the scopes recoil ring from seating against the front scope mount ring (I was informed of this while the build was underway). So I sold that scope to help fund an original. I was luckily able to find an original 1939 PEM scope that had a great "been there, done that" look to it. Besides a couple of extra (original) action screws the parts list was complete for the build.

The next step was to see how the rifle shot in the newly acquired stock. So I shot a box of Hornady 196gr FMJ 8mm Vintage Match through the rifle to see how it grouped. Results were not stellar by any means, but I figured the stock would probably need some fitting. The rifle was grouping 2-1/8" @ 50 yards with 1-2 minutes between shots.

I decided to move forward with the build and have the gunsmith put the stock and receiver into factory "specifications" or a "sniper tune". All of the pieces were packaged safely and shipped to the builder.

Yesterday I received the completed build. I am very happy with it's outcome and look forward to using the builder in the future. I feel that the combination of the pieces used in the build truly create a rifle that looks like it was at the eastern front (if you pay no attention to the electro pencil or import marks). Here are the finished results:

Notice the "initials" carved into the stock.

To me it's little details like this that make a build like this accurate. Chances are a German field armorer would only have taps for German thread size. This was the reason for using two k98 receiver screws to attach the mount.

The mount shim was built of the same material as was used on an original example that is owned by a k98 collector. Once again, trying to use accurate methods and pieces to create a proper tribute.

Due to the fact that the mount/scope set up was designed for use on another rifle the scope does not fall on centerline of the barrel. It is honestly only 1/16-1/8" off and I have seen Mosin 91/30 PEM re scoped rifles that were way worse.

It may be awhile before I get a chance to test this one out at the range but I will post results. I hope you guys like it.

-Brian

Hi,
Use to own a PEM on double claw mounts sold it long time ago the russian marks had been scrubbed leaving only the date and serial number.

Attachments

• DCP_2687.JPG
    DCP_2687.JPG
    33.4 KB · Views: 47
  • DCP_2692.JPG
    DCP_2692.JPG
    28.2 KB · Views: 34
never seen anything like that very cool.did not know they ever used any kind of pe or pu scope on any mauser , i would love to build one now.

Military Rifle Journal
Back