Third Party Press
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Neat bnz4 handstamp S/42 G

Default Neat bnz4 handstamp S/42 G

I was going to shoot some photos of this, but my camera died after these 2 photos. Rather than wait, I'll post what i have for now. Recycled S/42 G reciever in the n block. All matching, bolt is an armorers spare numbered during production. Really neat rifle!

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mrfarb; 12-06-2010 at 07:43 PM.
    Order the new K98k book at www.thirdpartypress.com
    Don't forget to visit www.latewar.com for info on late war 98k's.

Very cool. Really trips my trigger as a bnz guy.

Why no acceptance proof on top of the receiver?

Acceptance proofs on top of receiver disappear near the early bnz4 "b" blocks, and reappear in the late "q" block, so any blocks in between have no top acceptance proof. My own opinion was this is due to the bombing in Feb. 1944 and reestablishment of the production elsewhere.

For someone like me that likes this kind of stuff this is about the "holy grail" of reworks/rebuilds/repairs. Simply a stunning piece Farb

Mike, Can you do LR & RR shots? Like to see how the receiver is marked too? Stock too? (when your battery charges up, of course!)

Quote Originally Posted by SimsonSuhl View Post
    Mike, Can you do LR & RR shots? Like to see how the receiver is marked too? Stock too? (when your battery charges up, of course!)
    Of course, I'll do a full photo spread. RR is marked E/623, E/211 and K/167.

Farb,

That is an awesome rifle...Like Ham I love the rebuild/reworked variants and this one is tops!

That is one of the coolest K98s I've ever seen!
    Wanted: bolt number 6515 for a dou.42 K98.

Added some more pics. Not the best, but you get the idea. It's got some wear and tear, but overall it's a nice rifle and very different from most bnz4 rifles you find. Check that stock/buttplate fit- I've seen some Steyr rifles in and around this range like that- perhaps desperate for stocks they were using rejected (oversanded) stocks? It's not sanded- I had a bnz45 like this once.

The "n" block was the transition range for unnumbered stocks, bands, floorplate, and safety, and this one is correct in that respect. Has Large Eagle small H as well, proper for this range.

Bolt is damn cool too- tends to support the depot clearing theory you brought up on gunboards. The rapid dislocation of facilities in the east (when things collapsed, or were very fluid) must have caused a great need to move useful material?

Sending such material to Germany would have been of little value when those depots were probably glutted with work and lack of labor (they were combed for spare personal in the later periods- labor to assemble depot builds must have been at the top of the “can do without” list?). Better to send to powerhouses like Brno, or firms like Steyr that suffered a critical loss (Radom- where they were almost totally dependant for receivers, bolts and other key components)

Steyr in 1944 was such a diverse and critical company, rifles were practically an after thought. Steyr was critical in transportation (trucks), military vehicles, aircraft, and perhaps most important ball bearings. The small arms division seems to have been dispersed, to Radom in large measure, and its loss must have been keenly felt by late 1944.

Dispersal of the depot's material to a convenient facility like Brno, - great close location and sheltered, plus with massive capacity. And Steyr, also sheltered to a degree, and in such need must have made perfect sense at the time.

I am sure this scenario is not far off.