Third Party Press

RARE MUST SEE Kar98 Second Model Carbine !

jack944

I know this one belongs in the Imperial Thread but I don't want anyone to miss this. I was at the Forks of the Delaware show in Allentown yesterday hanging with Mauser 99(who was separating me from my money for a tranny) and a guy walked by with this stunner. We collared him and he allowed us to hold and drool over this baby. I have been doing this for a looongggg time and have only had 2 of these in my hands.

Kar 98 Second Model Infantry Carbine...WOW. The guy bought a collection of 50 guns and this was in it...figured it averaged out to about $250 per gun !!!!

See page 33/34 Vol 1 for reference on this one.

Attachments

• Maus1.jpg
    Maus1.jpg
    295.9 KB · Views: 347
  • Maus2.jpg
    Maus2.jpg
    240.4 KB · Views: 415
  • Maus3.jpg
    Maus3.jpg
    270.8 KB · Views: 324
  • Maus5.jpg
    Maus5.jpg
    291.7 KB · Views: 274
  • Maus6.jpg
    Maus6.jpg
    298.2 KB · Views: 257
  • Maus7.jpg
    Maus7.jpg
    283 KB · Views: 294
  • Maus8.jpg
    Maus8.jpg
    299.8 KB · Views: 259
  • Maus9.jpg
    Maus9.jpg
    257.4 KB · Views: 230
  • maus4a.jpg
    maus4a.jpg
    242.6 KB · Views: 285
Last edited:
More pics

More pics of this beauty...took with Samsung phone camera.

Attachments

• Maus10.jpg
    Maus10.jpg
    245.9 KB · Views: 152
  • Maus11.jpg
    Maus11.jpg
    248.1 KB · Views: 156
  • Maus12.jpg
    Maus12.jpg
    281.7 KB · Views: 180
  • Maus13.jpg
    Maus13.jpg
    275 KB · Views: 172
  • Maus14.jpg
    Maus14.jpg
    303.8 KB · Views: 193
Very impressive! Looks to be in fantastic condition as well.
Just looked at the photo of one in MMROTW and noticed that the upper H-band is missing. I wonder if one could be fabricated from a std. Gew 98 type.

Last edited:
I also happened to be there. The rifle was in superb condition. Like it just came from the factory. He was looking for a bayonet for it. Sure he knew what he had and if he didn't he figured it out really fast. People were going to him to get a better look of it. He even stated that before he got to us he was offered money for it. Funny, Mauser 99 was seperating me from my money as well. :).

clarification

Very impressive! Looks to be in fantastic condition as well.
Just looked at the photo of one in MMROTW and noticed that the upper H-band is missing. I wonder if one could be fabricated from a std. Gew 98 type.
Please see volume 1 of Karem/Steves book...this gun is textbook correct. Did not have H band.

Please see volume 1 of Karem/Steves book...this gun is textbook correct. Did not have H band.

You are correct! I had not noticed the details on this model in Vol. 1 and the sling bar/band in your photos above. The photos I've seen before were of the later second pattern with the H-band and slightly longer handguard. Excellent that it is all there then! The one in Vol. 1 looks to be in similar fantastic condition.

Last edited:
You are correct! I had not noticed the details on this model in Vol. 1 and the sling bar/band in your photos above. The photos I've seen before were of the later second pattern with the H-band and slightly longer handguard. Excellent that it is all there then! The one in Vol. 1 looks to be in similar fantastic condition.

Just found this nice pick ....... The early Mauser carbine in use in South West Africa with the Emperial Colonial troops.....

:thumbsup:

Attachments

• -DEUTSCH-SUDWESTAFRIKA-Kar. Mauser.JPG
    -DEUTSCH-SUDWESTAFRIKA-Kar. Mauser.JPG
    115.3 KB · Views: 112
Can you post this to the Imperial forum too? That way it can be added to the reference thread. I have only seen these in books, and in another set of photos. Both the separate photos and the ones MMROTW were from the same collection.

kar 98 carbine

I am glad someone decided to move it here, a very impressive rifle, - the unit marking is typical of this range. I have recorded a number in this range with similar unit markings.

Wonderful carbine!

hi im new to this site hope this message goes thru im the guy that had the kar98 carbine at Allentown I would love to find out all about it how many of these are around everyone liked it there

There is not much knowing about those carbines.... because many served in the colonials oversee and most of them where lost ,they have never returned from those far places.
In 1898 there was a first production of this carbine in Spandau and later about 1900 in Erfurt .
Many modifications are made in those serving years, the blast was too heavy with S-munition ,old 88 amunition where used and on later models many barrels where extended untill finally the Kar 98 AZ where introduced in 1908 as a replacement.
I have some articles about this gun from magazin's in the 1980's.(in German) too many bites to put it on this site......
I wonder why nobody in the US don't know much about the first kar 98 because some have served a second life in Mexico in the revolution from 1910-20....
The Germans sold around 1910-12 the leftover from those guns to Mexico with a new barrel in 7 mm.
The first one i really have seeing was in 7 mm and in worse condition ,taught it was not German......did not buy.......a couple years later i read thOSE articles .......:facepalm:

Attachments

• Figuur2.jpg
    Figuur2.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 49
  • Figuur3.jpg
    Figuur3.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 39
  • Figuur4.jpg
    Figuur4.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 39
  • kar 98 a 5b.jpg
    kar 98 a 5b.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 51
  • kar 98 a 6.jpg
    kar 98 a 6.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 46
  • kar 98 a 7.jpg
    kar 98 a 7.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 37
  • mexican with kar 98.jpg
    mexican with kar 98.jpg
    238.5 KB · Views: 42
kar98 carbine

There is not much knowing about those carbines.... because many served in the colonials oversee and most of them where lost ,they have never returned from those far places.
In 1898 there was a first production of this carbine in Spandau and later about 1900 in Erfurt .
Many modifications are made in those serving years, the blast was too heavy with S-munition ,old 88 amunition where used and on later models many barrels where extended untill finally the Kar 98 AZ where introduced in 1908 as a replacement.
I have some articles about this gun from magazin's in the 1980's.(in German) too many bites to put it on this site......
I wonder why nobody in the US don't know much about the first kar 98 because some have served a second life in Mexico in the revolution from 1910-20....
The Germans sold around 1910-12 the leftover from those guns to Mexico with a new barrel in 7 mm.
The first one i really have seeing was in 7 mm and in worse condition ,taught it was not German......did not buy.......a couple years later i read thOSE articles .......:facepalm:

thanks for the info im looking for a sg98 sawback longblade bayonet for it 1903 Erfurt great condition if any one knows of one thanks

thanks for the info im looking for a sg98 sawback longblade bayonet for it 1903 Erfurt great condition if any one knows of one thanks

Here some more picks ,sorry the printing and paper of those magazins is much old they are not very clear ......also a list with serienumbers still existing carbines. (most of them in museum !)
You see very few still exist .....if you find one its really a jackpot!:thumbsup:
The fixing of the bajonets, different kind of carbines from the 88 untill the AZ and the extended barrel carbines from 1907.

Attachments

• Figuur14.jpg
    Figuur14.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 52
  • Figuur111.jpg
    Figuur111.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 36
  • Figuur12.jpg
    Figuur12.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 37
  • Figuur11.jpg
    Figuur11.jpg