Third Party Press
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SS Gew98 Conversion w/papers & the box

Default SS Gew98 Conversion w/papers & the box

Picked this up today at a local show. SS Gew98 rework with the capture papers and the original box it was brought back in. Sadly, instead of duffel cut cutting it, he "duffle smashed" the stock to fit in the box. The rifle is completely matching and is currently in a standard model stock for display.
    Attached Images Attached Images

More pictures of the bolt, etc.

More photos...
    Last edited by stahlhelm1976; 12-04-2010 at 04:24 PM.

Some photos of the box closed up...

That's a pretty incredible find. Too bad about the stock, but even so it's a neat piece!
    Order the new K98k book at www.thirdpartypress.com
    Don't forget to visit www.latewar.com for info on late war 98k's.

Did it come with a story? Seems odd that someone would go to the trouble sending it back after breaking it like that? Perhaps it was like this when he recovered it?

Everyone has seen the pics of GI's smashing rifles against trees and buildings? Perhaps he recovered it from one of these exercises?

Quote Originally Posted by stahlhelm1976 View Post
    Picked this up today at a local show. SS Gew98 rework with the capture papers and the original box it was brought back in. Sadly, instead of duffel cut cutting it, he "duffle smashed" the stock to fit in the box. The rifle is completely matching and is currently in a standard model stock for display.

Unfortunately no story as far as what happened or why the stock was broken. It was purchased at an estate sale in Virginia and was brought back this way. There are a few large pieces of wood missing....ideally it wouldn't be broken but I kind of like it as is.

I assume the barrel is commercially marked under the wood but the action is really tight in the stock and I cannot get the front band off. I don't want to "bugger" it.someone already damaged the bands slightly apparently trying to do the same. It looks handsome enough in the current stock but I would like to see the the barrel markings under the wood line.

Has anyone seen the death's head variant with the "01" over it before? I have seen the infinity, SS2 and other variants but don't recall ever seeing this one?

Several variation to the DH, and I won't pretend to know what each represents. But yes, 01/DH is fairly common, even if not the most common. Recently there was a fairly convincing one with your combo on the barrel- Simson barrel on it.

Anyway, I would contact ScottB, and offer your rifles information for his book? He might toss you a bone and explain these damn markings and their exact purpose.

Alternatively, you can wait for his book- like me.

That's an outstanding SS rework with great history, and looks textbook correct to me! Well done and pic stickied

Is the name Glen Marler? Here you go:

Field TitleValueMeaningARMY SERIAL NUMBER35803627 35803627 NAMEMARLER#GLEN############# MARLER#GLEN############# RESIDENCE: STATE#3 Undefined Code RESIDENCE: COUNTY061 Undefined Code PLACE OF ENLISTMENT5321 CINCINNATI OHIO DATE OF ENLISTMENT DAY07 07 DATE OF ENLISTMENT MONTH06 06 DATE OF ENLISTMENT YEAR43 43 GRADE: ALPHA DESIGNATIONPVT# Private GRADE: CODE8 Private BRANCH: ALPHA DESIGNATIONNO# No branch assignment BRANCH: CODE02 No branch assignment FIELD USE AS DESIRED# # TERM OF ENLISTMENT5 Enlistment for the duration of the War or other emergency, plus six months, subject to the discretion of the President or otherwise according to law LONGEVITY### ### SOURCE OF ARMY PERSONNEL0 Civil Life NATIVITY52 KENTUCKY YEAR OF BIRTH24 24 RACE AND CITIZENSHIP1 White, citizen EDUCATION2 2 years of high school CIVILIAN OCCUPATION316 Farm hands, general farms MARITAL STATUS6 Single, without dependents COMPONENT OF THE ARMY7 Selectees (Enlisted Men) CARD NUMBER# # BOX NUMBER0994 0994 FILM REEL NUMBER5.56# 5.56#

The name is Glen Marler..thanks Ham!