Third Party Press

dsm34 Geco serial 9559

jsz

Above rifle came up at auction, I bid on it however backed out when the bid went beyond what I felt it was worth. The good the metal matched and was about 90%, retained the rod also. The bad it had the stock spliced on the but to extend the stock, but plate relocated and then the but taper was recut and sanded to align with the new splice. Stock also was sanded and refinished. A couple of horrible pictures, with overall view lifted from the auction site. A local dealer purchased the rifle, not certain if he understood the stock was dinked with. Certain this will be for sale as is or with some restoration attempt or new stock. A really shame on the stock mess.

Attachments

• geco9559dsm.jpg
    geco9559dsm.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 61
  • geco9559dsm1.JPG
    geco9559dsm1.JPG
    96.7 KB · Views: 62
  • geco9559dsm2.JPG
    geco9559dsm2.JPG
    117.6 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Well, this one has come back to life. The Geco dsm noted above finally showed up on the market again, sporting a new resto. I did not have enough time to look at the gun to see if the stock was repaired and the but plate thinned or if alternative wood was acquired. It is making the circuit in Western NY gun shows for $695, and the dealer is a known huckster. So if you see this rifle, pay close attention to it.

odd as there was another on gunbroker I thought might be it. Very close but, no cigar.

These are late Geco marked DSM36's made by the Waffenstadt Suhl consortium. As the markings and finish point to this connection.

Attachments

• geco.jpg
    geco.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 27
  • pix100237163.jpg
    pix100237163.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 26
Suhl-made gun, I would agree, so consortium players certainly had a hand on it. Don't see evidence of modifications of 1936, though, nor would I expect to. The Geco guns without SN prefix of "a" or "b" were made before the prefixed guns. Virtually all the "b" prefixed guns exhibit the '36 mods. I take that back---first gun posted does appear to have high extractor and beveled port. Also falls at the high end of the non-prefixed guns. Have that one recorded, and suspect it falls right at a change-over of supplier to Geco.

Steve

Roechlingstahl sold the barrel blanks to Sauer for all of the Suhl DSMs, and they were sent to Haenel for finishing BUT from there, virtually every mechanic in Suhl who did barrel work had their hands on them, and you can find their sundry marks on the barrels as proof.

Steve

Suhl-made gun, I would agree, so consortium players certainly had a hand on it. Don't see evidence of modifications of 1936, though, nor would I expect to. The Geco guns without SN prefix of "a" or "b" were made before the prefixed guns. Virtually all the "b" prefixed guns exhibit the '36 mods. I take that back---first gun posted does appear to have high extractor and beveled port. Also falls at the high end of the non-prefixed guns. Have that one recorded, and suspect it falls right at a change-over of supplier to Geco.

Steve

I could be wrong. The odd angle the rifle is being held looks like the port has been opened up.

Geco receivers are marked in the same manner as the W.S.S. dsm's 34,35, and no date correct ?

Roechlingstahl sold the barrel blanks to Sauer for all of the Suhl DSMs, and they were sent to Haenel for finishing BUT from there, virtually every mechanic in Suhl who did barrel work had their hands on them, and you can find their sundry marks on the barrels as proof.

Steve

Steve, looking again the top rifle is a no date and is defiantly a dsm36 type rec.

Yes, it definitely has beveled loading port and elevated extractor position, but lacks the chamber vent hole and can't tell about the bolt stop box. Maker had adopted SOME of the 1936 mods, but not all. There is evidence in more than one instance that some of the consortium players passed off their work assignments to others as they started getting RWM contracts, and this is VERY likely another instance of that. It could also help explain the various suppliers of DSMs to Geco, at different times. Trying to pin the exact names and dates down is going to require more digging, if we ever find all of that story at all.

Steve

In 1936, the two consortia had quit the DSM game---Akah catalogs no longer list them as suppliers, for one piece of evidence. Weihrauch continued assembling them in Z-M, but had to start using their OWN trademark on receiver. Almost all of the players were out of the game when the '36 mods came about, and this is one reason why you don't see the mods on some firms' DSMs. Walter and Erma had likely already produced more DSM receivers than they knew what to do with, and were not going to scrap any inventory. Very few places where those mods were included in further production.

Steve

Military Rifle Journal
Back