Third Party Press

Unnumbered 1941 byf stock??

actiondan

I recently acquired a 1941 byf 98k in great condition, with a duffle cut. The outside of the stock has no markings, which leads me to believe it was sanded by a previous owner. What is weird, to me, is the fact that there are no markings on the inside of the stock either (handguard excluded, it is numbered).

Has anyone seen something like that before? Any assistance would be appreciated.

It could be an armorer's replacement stock or just a late war unnumbered stock. Post some pictures.

Nice rifle but the stock is pretty throughly sanded. No conclusions can be drawn about the original markings, unfortunately.

As Ryan said, un-numbered armor's replacement or late war stock. My vote is for 1944 vintage stock but there are many members here with far more knowledge than me.

Do any of you all happen to have additional reading material on late war unnumbered stocks or armourers replacement stocks? I did a quick search and could not find anything pertinent.

You won't find much help on the internet regarding armorers stocks, in fact even in print. A few of the normal makers made stocks as replacements for the depot system.

Your stock is heavily sanded, inside and out based on what I can see. Most likely someone scrubbed all of the markings inside and out in order to restore the rifle from either a missing stock or horribly butchered stock. Armorers stocks have markings on them too.

The Br. under the buttplate is the plywood provider. Most of the Br. marked stocks I see are on bcd marked rifles, and judging from the look of your stock (bolt cutout, flat bottom, features that are left) I'd say that's what it is, or was (could be an ex "dou" stock as well). Normally marked with a C on the bottom, stocks marked like that could also be armorers supplied stocks. Again, with the amount of sanding and refinishing that stock has seen, it's a moot point whether it's an armorers stock or heavily scrubbed original.

I have acquired a a different stock for this rifle that, obviously, non matching, but is not sanded and is original (in vg condition). In everyone's experience, how much does a non matching stock detract from the value of an otherwise excellent matching (with bolt matching itself, ie bolt mismatch) byf 41?

Military Rifle Journal
Back