Third Party Press

Double claw sniper

banjomike

This week I had the luck to purchase a K98 Double Claw sniper. Vet purchase , salty looking, bolt MM, flat buttplate and laminated stock, but it came with capture papers and bring home box, along with a 1935 dated Russian TOZ? 22 caliber rifle, also on the capture papers. The K98 came with a Karl Kahles " Wien" Heliavier scope. The scope does not sit correctly on the rifle. The rear mount is to short. It does mount , but looks up. But this is the one that he brought back. For now my question is that the front mount completely covers the name of the maker. The only thing that is seen is the letter " i " on the barrel , side of the breach and also the buttplate. Can someone tell from this who made it? Thanks Banjomike

Please add a few pictures. It's possible to tell the manufacturer and probably also year by font, placement of acceptance marks and number below the acceptance mark.

Attached the pictures with Mike's permission.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 231
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 227
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 184
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 205
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 242
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 246
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 256
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 208
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 169
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 183
The last set of pictures.

According to what I can see, it's a J.P. Sauer & Sohn K98k rifle (WaA37 on stock). For me it however looks like a civilean conversion with Suhler Claw Mounts, since both the scope is civilean and also has civilean mounts on it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 158
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 254
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 213
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 132
Double Claw Sniper

Thanks to Absolut for posting the pictures. Everything that was said I agree with. Seeing as how the the capture papers were made out in May 1945 the rifle must have seen service as a sniper. I thought all that all Double Claw snipers were made up rifles as per needed before the run of SSRS and LSRS Etc. Is this correct? Once again thank you. Banjomikel

Mike, does the capture paper speak of a scope? I cannot read very well what the hand written part says.

Sniper rifle

Sorry to disagree but this is an Object Mount DBL CLAW Sniper Rifle.
This Link shows the Correct Scope & Rings for Your Rifle
http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread.php?31-Scope-Pics

Thank you for the correct description of the scope needed for my rifle. I am unfamiliar with the term Object Mount. Can you explain better. All I see is the back mount is taller than the one on my rifle. Are any of these scopes around? banjomike

Capture Papers

Mike, does the capture paper speak of a scope? I cannot read very well what the hand written part says.

There is no mention of the scope on the capture papers. Nor is there serial numbers mentioned. But they came from the estate this way. Regards banjomike

Mike, all I wanted to say that this document doesn't proof that the scope came with the rifle originally. If it would, I believe the scope would have been mentioned.

I however do believe that the rifle is indeed the one which is mentioned in the capture paper. My believe is that it was converted in the US with this scope, somewhen between the capture and now.

The reason for this is that all original period pictures of K98k double claw snipers show a different way of mount, especially now referring to the rear scope base. Also note that the scope shows signs of a previously soldered mount, which wouldn't have been the case if it was originally factory built in WWII.

Sniper

Neat rifle, the objective mount refers to where the front scope mount is soldered to the objective end of scope rather than on the tube where most are mounted or attached to their mounts

It's anyway better to call it by the original designation - "Suhler Einhakmontage", or "Suhler Clawmount" as you guys would call it. This mount was not necessarily only objective mounted, it was just the only way that the Wehrmacht used this mount for sniper rifles.

Here is a period pic of one in use. You can see it is identical to Dave's in both rings and scope. Very different from this one.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1412880372704.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1412880372704.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 135
Ryan
Actually the Rings and Scope pictured are a different type . Pictured is an Ajack with Focal Adjustment and Front Ring is mounted on Objective and Rear I would expect to likely have to have 2 Claws but may have only one claw on rear now this is just a guess/hunch . I have only ever seen one such Rifle sell it was at Hermann Historica .

As for Your Question on Scope Mike these Scope & Rings are next to Impossible to find I know of 4 in collection . Very Very Hard to get . I will post some Pics of my Rifle later today or tomorrow . Best Regards

Last edited:
Ryan, I'd tend to say that this picture shows an Ajack 4x90 scope with the Suhler Claw mount. The diameter in front is larger than in the rear, while Dave's scope has the same diameter both in front and rear.

The Rifle in the Pic Ryan posted has different Scope , Rings and Bases from the Rifle in Question. Here are two Pics which show the same type Sniper Rifle with correct Scope and Rings . I have also posted few Pics of my Sniper Rifle . The Last Pic is the type Sniper Rifle Pictured in Ryan`s Photo and it is the one I mentioned that sold at HermannHistorica Auction 47 if You care to read description . Best Regards

Attachments

• SS_HENSOLDT_DOUBLE_CLAW_SNIPER.jpg
    SS_HENSOLDT_DOUBLE_CLAW_SNIPER.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 113
  • SS_Hensoldt_sniper.jpg
    SS_Hensoldt_sniper.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 120
  • DSC_1236.JPG
    DSC_1236.JPG
    237.2 KB · Views: 126
  • DSC_1234.JPG
    DSC_1234.JPG
    245.5 KB · Views: 124
  • DSC_1244.JPG
    DSC_1244.JPG
    235.5 KB · Views: 149
  • DSC_1248.JPG
    DSC_1248.JPG
    232.9 KB · Views: 134
  • DSC03644.JPG
    DSC03644.JPG
    34.8 KB · Views: 125
  • DSC03645.JPG
    DSC03645.JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 120
  • 31042.jpg
    31042.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
Took out the original catalogue, description in English reads as
A 98 k carb ine with SS-Service Optics "Dienstglas", calibre 8x57. No. 2850e. Matching numbers except for the bolt. Barrel somewhat rough, but good groove/land profile. Made by Mauser at Oberndorf. Acepptance mark: "Eagle/135". The ZF39 has the number 6949. A death's head and the "SS-Dienstglas" are engraved on the left of the distance scale, with "Ajack 41521" on the right. Clear optics. Weapon refinished. Beautiful laminated stock. Original sling. Very good overall condition.

Noone ever mentioned a deaths head on the rifle, they only mention it on the scope.

Military Rifle Journal
Back