Third Party Press

Double claw sniper

Took out the original catalogue, description in English reads as

Noone ever mentioned a deaths head on the rifle, they only mention it on the scope.

I stand corrected then , my memory can`t argue with the catalog . Here is another photo with the same type Sniper Rifle being used by the Sniper in the Photo Ryan posted . This Pic and the one Ryan posted are without any doubt different types from the one in Question and Rifle I posted pics of . Best Regards

Attachments

• $(KGrHqZ,!r!FDlQmKqL!BQ76oVNvT!~~60_1.jpg
    $(KGrHqZ,!r!FDlQmKqL!BQ76oVNvT!~~60_1.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 144
Objective Mount

I know this is an old thread. I was doing a search and found this. Does anyone know of or have an Ajack Objective Mount (Ajack in Suhler Mount type scope) in a collection?

The rifle from Hermann Historica has the same type of bases that any Objective Mount rifle would. Is that a correct statement? The only difference is the Ajack scope and rings. I assume you could put a Hensoldt Scope on this rifle as well. The original wartime photos with Ajack Scopes look like the rifle has the same rifle bases as any Objective Mount.

Just an interesting thread here. Wanted to add a little more. Thanks for any response.

Last edited:
Would the rings fit into the bases on any WWII Objective Mount Rifle?

I must admit, that I never compared the AJACK rings/claws with my Hensoldt scope.
The distance between front and rear ring nicely fit a Mod.98 receiver. That's why I kept it.

Would the rings fit into the bases on any WWII Objective Mount Rifle?

Brian
Here is a photo of Hermann-Historica Objective Mount Double Claw . I can tell you with 100% certainty the Ajack Scope & Rings from this Variation and The Objective Mount Double Claw Rifles with the Rings and Bases made by GREIFELT Co. & SUHL are NOT Interchangeable . In fact if You look closely at this photo and the other 2 known period photos showing the SS Objective Mount Double Claw with Ajack the differences between the two is evident . In fact the Period Pics show the difference clearly and better than Auction Pic . Hope this helps clarify things for You .

Attachments

• 31042.jpg
    31042.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 105
  • $(KGrHqZ,!r!FDlQmKqL!BQ76oVNvT!~~60_1.jpg
    $(KGrHqZ,!r!FDlQmKqL!BQ76oVNvT!~~60_1.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 94
  • SS Sniper 2.jpg
    SS Sniper 2.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 137
Brian
Here is a photo of Hermann-Historica Objective Mount Double Claw . I can tell you with 100% certainty the Ajack Scope & Rings from this Variation and The Objective Mount Double Claw Rifles with the Rings and Bases made by GREIFELT Co. & SUHL are NOT Interchangeable . In fact if You look closely at this photo and the other 2 known period photos showing the SS Objective Mount Double Claw with Ajack the differences between the two is evident . In fact the Period Pics show the difference clearly and better than Auction Pic . Hope this helps clarify things for You .

Those pictures are hard to see. That is why I was asking. The Ajack scope and rings are different. Hard to see the area where they fit into the bases on rifle to see any difference. That Herman Historica pic is very small. Thanks for your reply.

Enlarge the Pics and You will see that the Bases and Rings are much different look closely at Saddle on Receiver the bottom edge of this is kind of rounded on under edge and Rear Ring is clearly different . Best Regards

Enlarge the Pics and You will see that the Bases and Rings are much different look closely at Saddle on Receiver the bottom edge of this is kind of rounded on under edge and Rear Ring is clearly different . Best Regards

Yes of course, but pic quality is poor. No Bueno. I'll try to find other copies of the pics. Thanks.

Interestingly both photos were taken by Army photographer Dieck in June/September 1942.
On the photo with the sniper/observer team, the sleeve eagle should be visible if Waffen-SS.

PS: According to our federal archive, the photo with the sniper team was taken near Woronesch in June/July 1942. The Waffen-SS did not have any fighting units there at that time.

Last edited:
Some shots showing my AJACK 4x90 objective mount.
The rings are unmarked. On the AJACK scope the distance between the rings is about 2mm narrower than on the Dialytan OM.
The claws on the rear rings are nearly identical. The claws of the AJACK front ring are about 2mm wider apart than on the Dialytan.
The scopes have identical hight over the bore (table).
With the dial set on zero, the POA is higher with the AJACK.

Attachments

• IMG_5241.jpg
    IMG_5241.jpg
    267.5 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_5246.jpg
    IMG_5246.jpg
    237.1 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_5249.jpg
    IMG_5249.jpg
    290.8 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_5250.jpg
    IMG_5250.jpg
    276.8 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_5255.jpg
    IMG_5255.jpg
    292 KB · Views: 61
Interestingly both photos were taken by Army photographer Dieck in June/September 1942.
On the photo with the sniper/observer team, the sleeve eagle should be visible if Waffen-SS.

Yes, very interesting and a possible reason these scopes/mounts differ from the SS objective mount.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wolfgang that is awesome. Thanks for posting this. That is exactly what I was looking for.

Brian
Look at Your Propaganda Book German Sniper Rifles on pg 82 & 83 it shows a much clearer photos than I posted . You will see that the Ajack Rear Ring that Wolfgang posted is not same as in photo , IMHO I think that the Ajack Scope & Rings posted by Wolfang is most likely civilian. I have never seen a period photo showing any other Ring Types being used by the SS other than the 2 known types that can be verified by period photos and they always have a Saddle on Front Base . Best Regards .

Brian
Look at Your Propaganda Book German Sniper Rifles on pg 82 & 83 it shows a much clearer photos than I posted . You will see that the Ajack Rear Ring that Wolfgang posted is not same as in photo , IMHO I think that the Ajack Scope & Rings posted by Wolfang is most likely civilian. I have never seen a period photo showing any other Ring Types being used by the SS other than the 2 known types that can be verified by period photos and they always have a Saddle on Front Base . Best Regards .

OK thanks. I’ll check out when I get home.

I do not have any idea about the helmet covers, but please have a close look at the photo showing the sniper/observer team.
The observer wears trousers in Army (splinter) camo.

I think we do not only talk about SS OM anymore. Seems like the Army had some OM scopes as well.

Last edited:
I do not have any idea about the helmet covers, but please have a close look at the photo showing the sniper/observer team.
The observer wears trousers in Army (splinter) camo.

I think we do not only talk about SS OM anymore. Seems like the Army had some OM scopes as well.

This is were knowing uniform is such a determining factor you can say with very good certainty the soldiers are from the SS , Heer or Luftwaffe . No one that I know has ever said these Snipers were anything other than SS , I was also under this impression . Seems as if another misnomer/assumption has been dispelled !!!!.

No one that I know has ever said these Snipers were anything other than SS ..........

Including myself. :facepalm:

Since it is a WWII photo I never had a real close look, and if I looked at it, I was focused on the scope/rifle. My first doubts arose when I noticed that the photo was taken by an Army photographer.
I'll search our archives for more photos from that war correspondent taken in summer 1942. Maybe we can narrow down the unit.

Thanks

I'll search our archives for more photos from that war correspondent taken in summer 1942. Maybe we can narrow down the unit.

That was easy! :happy0180:

I found two photos, that clearly show the emblem of the 24. Panzerdivision on a motorcycle.
A new unit, established in late 1941.
http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/Gliederungen/Panzerdivisionen/24PD.htm
We most likely see snipers from Schützen Regiment 26, or Schützen Regiment 21.
Both units got blasted in Stalingrad.

Talking about an unit being established in late 1941 and got lost in Stalingrad, it is not really surprising that we know next to nothing about their sniper rifles/scopes.

Thanks

Last edited:

Military Rifle Journal
Back