Third Party Press

Double claw sniper

@ DaveR: ........

:happy0180:

Did I find a new variation of sniper rifle you need for your collection?
:moon:

ATB my friend!

Attachments

• Kentucky-Bourbon-Ale-1-682x1024.jpg
    Kentucky-Bourbon-Ale-1-682x1024.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
That was easy! :happy0180:

I found two photos, that clearly show the emblem of the 24. Panzerdivision on a motorcycle.
A new unit, established in late 1941.
http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/Gliederungen/Panzerdivisionen/24PD.htm
We most likely see snipers from Schützen Brigade 24, or Schützen Regiment 21.
Both units got blasted in Stalingrad.

Talking about a unit being established in late 1941 and got lost in Stalingrad, it is not really surprising that we know next to nothing about their sniper rifles/scopes.

Thanks

Great info Wolfgang! Thank you for your research.

You make a point I have always thought. Early German and Russian sniper rifles are extremely difficult to find because they were almost all destroyed in the fierce fighting on the Eastern Front.

Nice work Wolfgang. It definitely helps to have a broad base of knowledge. If anyone can ever find one I’ll bet it will be Dave.

Congrats to Amberg for discovery of the Heer Objective Mount!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@ DaveR: ........

:happy0180:

Did I find a new variation of sniper rifle you need for your collection?
:moon:

ATB my friend!

Well in some respects Yes , Now I know that I am looking for a Heer OM Sniper Rifle and NOT a second type of SSOM Sniper Rifle . Which is great to know exactly what I am searching for , Thanks to Your keen eye !!!!!:thumbsup:

But You know , now by knowing its a Heer Sniper as apposed to an SS Sniper I will save some BIG Money if I ever happen to find one , so Thank You yet again . :laugh:

May want to start on or around the Stalingrad area . I will keep my fingers crossed that You have Good Luck !!!! :happy0180:

Wolfgang that is awesome. Thanks for posting this. That is exactly what I was looking for.

Only for clarification.
I do NOT think or claim that my AJACK was military used. Most likely it is nothing but a plain hunting scope. The serial# is way to low for a 1941/42 setup. But you never know until some period documents show up, proving one or the other.
Thanks
Wolfgang

Objective Mount

Dave; At the beginning of this post, was not the rifle posted an Objective Mount Heer rifle? Sorry if I,m not on the same page. Banjomike

Only for clarification.
I do NOT think or claim that my AJACK was military used. Most likely it is nothing but a plain hunting scope. The serial# is way to low for a 1941/42 setup. But you never know until some period documents show up, proving one or the other.
Thanks
Wolfgang

Still interesting. Thanks for posting.

The rifle in this original post is a SS Objective Mount Rifle. Would have had a Hensoldt Scope on it.

Dave; At the beginning of this post, was not the rifle posted an Objective Mount Heer rifle? Sorry if I,m not on the same page. Banjomike

Hi Mike
You said it was a Double Claw , saying that can be confusing because most would likely think SS Double Claw . This particular Style of scope mounting is known as Objective Mount Sniper or Objective Mount Double Claw . Hope this clears things up for You . Best Regards

Hi Mike
You said it was a Double Claw , saying that can be confusing because most would likely think SS Double Claw . This particular Style of scope mounting is known as Objective Mount Sniper or Objective Mount Double Claw . Hope this clears things up for You . Best Regards

Well,

Over here, both designations would be more or less confusing/wrong!
What you call an OM (objective mount), is nothing but a SEM ( Suhler Einhakmontage).
The SSDC or "double claw" in fact is a Schnäppermontage.
Very easy to distinguish.
@ banjomike: thanks for the details/dimensions from the bases!
@ DaveR: Here you mentioned a single claw rear ring/base.
http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread.php?14969-Double-claw-sniper/page2 #15
Do you really think so?
I can't see it.

Thanks
Wolfgang

Well,

Over here, both designations would be more or less confusing/wrong!
What you call an OM (objective mount), is nothing but a SEM ( Suhler Einhakmontage).
@ banjomike: thanks for the details/dimensions from the bases!
@ DaveR: Here you mentioned a single claw rear ring/base.
http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread.php?14969-Double-claw-sniper/page2 #15
Do you really think so?
I can't see it.

Thanks
Wolfgang

Hi Wolf I made correction .

I would disagree on this since there is the "Wiener Schnäppermontage" which is different from what we here refer the "SSDC" and therefore could lead to a confusion. I would rather call it "SS Klauenmontage", so nearly the same as in English. But you are very right with the "OM" which is a SEM. Especially since period pictures proof not all scopes with this mount were objective mounted..

There is only one Scope type that was used on these Objective Mount Sniper Rifles that did not have the front ring not Mounted on the Objective according to period photos I have found/seen . In Europe it would likely confuse collectors but here in the USA collecting community You say Objective Mount and most know what Your referring to . Best Regards

Military Rifle Journal
Back