Third Party Press

R.C. 1938 K98k

Yes, that was the issue. I ordered a USED original one today for for $47.00 plus shipping, 10 inch with a tapered end.

Your photo shows a cupped buttplate stock. I don't know of any of those that take the short 10" rod. Should be a 12.5" rod. Also, $47 for an "original" 10" rod would be a steal! They seem to go for $100 ballpark usually.

$100 ballpark

Your photo shows a cupped buttplate stock. I don't know of any of those that take the short 10" rod. Should be a 12.5" rod. Also, $47 for an "original" 10" rod would be a steal! They seem to go for $100 ballpark usually.
Got it on Gun Broker Auction. Are the threads different on the two or would it work anyway?

Attachments

• Cleaning rods.jpg
    Cleaning rods.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Got it on Gun Broker Auction. Are the threads different on the two or would it work anyway?

Some South American Mausers used a thicker rod like the Czech and Yugo rifles. The ones pictured might work in a K98k if the threads are the same. A German 10" rod should have the same threads as the longer 12.5" one, but won't look right when mounted in a latter stock. The patch end would butt right up to the bayonet lug!

243 1938

I bought a K98k, 243 1938 two weeks ago. Serial number 7327 n, WaA 280. It's not a Russian capture, is in overall very nice shape with an excellent bore. The bolt is a mismatch, but all other numbers and WaA match. It differs a bit from yours having the flat butt plate. The part with the bayonet lug is steel, not blued, but parkerized (I believe). It's that light gray, non reflective finish I associate with the phosphate process. Try a magnet on yours..I'd bet it's made of steel. I've been looking at K98k's since the 1960's and don't remember seeing one with that finish anywhere on the rifle. But wear and oxidation could change the appearance so I didn't notice it. Regarding the cleaning rod....the lug was so full of crap I had to oil up a much smaller rod (intended for a .177 air rifle) to clean it out. But the stock forearm is drilled for the rod. I lucked out and found a pre-war Mauser with very little use and was well cared for back in the day.

back in the day

I bought a K98k, 243 1938 two weeks ago. Serial number 7327 n, WaA 280. It's not a Russian capture, is in overall very nice shape with an excellent bore. The bolt is a mismatch, but all other numbers and WaA match. It differs a bit from yours having the flat butt plate. The part with the bayonet lug is steel, not blued, but parkerized (I believe). It's that light gray, non reflective finish I associate with the phosphate process. Try a magnet on yours..I'd bet it's made of steel. I've been looking at K98k's since the 1960's and don't remember seeing one with that finish anywhere on the rifle. But wear and oxidation could change the appearance so I didn't notice it. Regarding the cleaning rod....the lug was so full of crap I had to oil up a much smaller rod (intended for a .177 air rifle) to clean it out. But the stock forearm is drilled for the rod. I lucked out and found a pre-war Mauser with very little use and was well cared for back in the day.
Hi, do you have a picture of yours? How much did you pay for it. John

243 1938

I had to pay $600 for it, but that included 300 rounds of RWM (mostly 1940, brass not steel) ammo in 15 round boxes. He wouldn't budge on the price...the ammo was the clincher. With todays ammo situation, I didn't argue with him. Though I don't intend to fire much of the ammo. And the bore is excellent. It puts my DOU 44 to shame. I'll work on getting a photo up. I need to get a good one with MY camera and then learn how to post photo's.

Military Rifle Journal
Back