Third Party Press

R.C. 1938 K98k

exragman

I recently purchased my 1st K98k with a receiver stamped 243 1938, serial #6900. I know where it was made based on the #243. No other matching numbers other than the one on the stock and the electro-penciling on the bolt and trigger guard. It also has a bayonet lug that appears to be made of a non-metallic material. It is my understanding that the bayonet lugs were not put on until 1939 or 1940. What I am looking for is a cleaning rod to fit it. I bought one of those after-market ones but it would not fit in the hole. I know it takes a short rod. My rifle is the bottom one in the picture.

Attachments

• Mauser004.JPG
    Mauser004.JPG
    276 KB · Views: 136
All K98's had bayonet lugs originally. The were not deleted until late in the war. What is the length of the cleaning rod that bought?

EDIT>..the rod is too thick or too long?

Cleaning rod

It was 10 inches. It was too thick to fit in the hole. It was an after-market repro and we all know how in-accurate they can be. Do you know what the lug is made of? It's not metallic.

there are plenty of original cleaning rods out there and slings please do not encourage the fakers by buying there products., regardless whether it a RC or czech rebuild its a original 98k it deserves original accessories

Cleaning Rod

I am not finding "a lot" of original cleaning rods out there on the net. If you know of a good source, please let me know.

All you have to do is google k98 parts and the top 4 sites all have cleaning rods or you can go on eBay or gunbroker... Haha

Thanks guys

yes seems cleaning rods are everywhere if you look, same with slings, capture screws and sight hoods the last two may be repro's, but I picked up a set of capture screws a few years back that were pristine and orignal

with the internet almost anything is possible

Cleaning rods

All you have to do is google k98 parts and the top 4 sites all have cleaning rods or you can go on eBay or gunbroker... Haha

What's with the Haha? Am I funny? Do I look like a clown? Do I make you laugh? Go get your shine box. I just bought an original today. Thanks for your advice.

My repo cleaning rod is too thick on my RC as well. It fits my other mausers, however. Is this a similar issue you are having?

Some VZ24 and M48 rods are sold as K98k rods and they are too thick for the K98k bayonet lug hole.

for an RC I would just get a reproduction cleaning rod.
In my experience an original 10 inch cleaning rod will run you $100 when you find it.

Liberty tree has plenty of both sizes for 25..but that is the issue myself and the OP are running into. The repo rods are too thick.

Is it too thick?

My repo cleaning rod is too thick on my RC as well. It fits my other mausers, however. Is this a similar issue you are having?
Yes, that was the issue. I ordered a USED original one today for for $47.00 plus shipping, 10 inch with a tapered end.

Military Rifle Journal
Back