Third Party Press

Need help with a potential P08 purchase...

stcappelli

I have the oppurtunity to purchase a vet bring back 1941 Mauser (byf) P08 Luger that I came across while checking out a RC for my friend. It has random pitting on the outside, with about 60-80% of the original finish remaining. All numbers match on the outside (the owner said the internals matched as well). The owner said he receieved it from a widow of a veteran, and that the pitting on the side was from blood/sweat/sitting in the vet's holster like that for some time. No bring-back papers. He hasn't fired it, but insists the bore is clean. It includes one post-war magazine and the holster the vet kept it in (a USGI leather holster). He is asking $675 obo, and said he'll help me out a little on the price if I bundle the P08 with the K98.

Having purchased several wwii weapons before but not a Luger, what should I be looking for? All waffenamts are intact, there are no import marks, and the numbers on the outside all match. And aside from the pitting, it's in good shape. My only concerns are that I do not know if the interals match, that it may not fire properly (since he says he has never shot it), and what a reasonable price would be. Like I said, I'm new to Lugers and I'm not really sure what they go for in this condition. Are there any ways to address or check these issues (matching internals/if it's shootable)? I'd like a decent piece of history that might be worth something later, but I can also bring to the range every once in awhile in the meantime. Any advice you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

My best to you,

- Sam

Disclaimer: Lugers are not my thing, but I do own one. I did a lot of research before I bought one and I keep up with the Luger forums.

Without seeing the extent of the pitting it is hard to judge. Pictures always help especially with lugers. Are the grips wood? I see mismatched shooters go for 600 plus dollars so I would personally go for it if I wanted one. BUT at the same time I think you could get one in much better condition for a few hundred more (3-400).

Hopefully others on here can help you better than I!

Take some photos and put them up on

http://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php

Ask questions. Some of the best Luger minds in the world there. Got some good ones here too. Lugers are a unique breed ranging from a couple hundred bucks to tens of thousands, depending on a variety of variables. Having said that, a byf41 is not particularly unusual and as mentioned, the pitting is impossible to evaluate without pictures. I have a byf41 Luger for sale on Gunbroker right now, all matching with an OK holster and desirable tool for $1,999. Good luck.

KJ

byf41's are about the most common luger out there. I buy them matching (less mag) for $11-1200. Given the description with no pics, price seems about right depending how bad the pitting is. Keep in mind also that there is a large price disparity between your described 60-80% condition

Thank you for your replies and comments! The Luger forum seems like a good place to get some info, I'll try to start a post there.
The owner was kind enough to send me some pictures, so now we can get a better look at the pitting/remaining finish. The reason I said earlier that there was 60-80% finish remaining was because I had trouble remembering exactly how much was really left. The pictures should help give us a better idea.

P1010001.jpg
P1010010.jpg
P1010013.JPG
P1010020.jpg

My best to you,

- Sam

Finish is rough. Replacement grips. But if it is all matching it still is a $675 pistol.

yep $600 shooter

this is the type of luger you take to the range,

shame not care for

Given its current condition...should you buy it I would go ahead and clean it up and make her a little more presentable.

According to your skill set you could do a nice cold blue job without a lot of effort...would do wonders for the gun.

Couldnt tell a lot about the bore but @ least it didnt look dark.

Good luck.

Thanks for the replies guys. I made a post in the Luger Forums and they've provided great complimentary information along with what I've been told on here. One poster said that it might be a Russian Capture/refurb due to the replacement grips, and while I didn't see any import marks or the RC rebuild X on the P08, I think there's a good chance it could have been an early import and spared the RC X, as some K98 RC's I've seen are.

Regardless, I'm going to try to pick her up for around $600 (the seller has a decent byf 43 RC k98 that I'm going to try to bundle with this for my ROTC friend) and depending on how severe the pitting is, I'll clean up a little and maybe try a cold blue like agalland has suggested. Should make a nice little shooter and piece of history to match the K98 I picked up the other day. Better pics will come if I go for it!

Also; here's the link to my post in the Luger Forums incase someone would like to see the info/reference:
http://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=33510

Thanks again,
- Sam

Military Rifle Journal
Back