Third Party Press

Help needed with Union pistol in paybook

Amberg

Hello,
bought this paybook, because of the WWI rifle registrations.
Pistols are not my thing, but I would like to know what the "Union" pistols were. Searching the net I only found some 6.35 mm pistols with "Union" on the grips. But the Wehrmacht did not introduce any 6.35mm pistols officially. Could it be a "Ruby" in 7.65mm?
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1989.jpg
    IMG_1989.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 51
I found the below. It may be French...

UNION PISTOLS

The UNION pistols were developed by a gunsmith from Marseilles, Mr. Marcel Seytres. His workshop was located at 17 Rue Denis Papin in St. Etienne.

The first UNION pistols appeared around 1925 and production ceased a bit before WW2.
These pistols have numerous common points with the 1906 Browning. This type of weapon was very popular between the two World Wars and numerous French, Belgian and Spanish manufacturers were inspired by it.
This manufacturer (UNION), nonetheless brought improvements as evidenced by the numerous patents that we have discovered.
Upon examination of a Seytres manufactured pistol, is obvious that the manufacturing was of very high standard and this had led the administration and certain organizations to equip their personnel with this pistol. The company seemed to be doing well since, following the fire that destroyed gun maker Societe d’Armes et de mecanique Generale of the city of Louhans, mr. Seytres hired part of its personnel, including two Spanish foremen: Mr. Larena (machining operations) and Mr. Etchebum (Assembly operations).

At the time, daily production was around 50 pistols in 7.65 French Long in order to participate to the French army trials of 1933.

There were two models with unlocked breach similar to the Spanish STAR and one locked breach similar to the 1911 Colt.

The results of these trials are described in part three of this article. Later still, the Seytres company built Colt inspired pistols in 9mm Parabellum (Luger) and in 7.63 Mauser for the civilian market under the brand name of UNION-FRANCE.

Some of these weapons also incorporated a fire selector and an adjustable rear sight. The firm apparently tried to sell these weapons to foreign countries, particularly to China, as a 1941 report by the Shangai city police shows. One can encounter UNION pistols marketed under the names FURIA, GALLIA and VERNAY-CARRON.

These pistols must not be confused with Spanish –made UNION I and UNION II brands (Made by Esperanza y Unceta in Guarnica) which are, strangely, marked in English

UNION PISTOL IN 6.35mm (.25acp) SIX SHOT.

This is a small weapon, of simple but good quality manufacture. Its shape is elegant, with an “aerodynamic” rear end, slightly thicker slide faces where the markings and grasping ribs are located. The markings read PISTOLET AUTOMATIQUE FRANÇAIS “UNION” FABRIQUÉ À SAINT ÉTIENNE CAL. 6,35
UNION pistols feature an automatic magazine safety to prohibit percussion when the magazine is removed, and a safety lever on the left side above the trigger.
Top Photo caption: Although the grips installed on UNION pistols have various contours, they all share the same markings. One can see the brand in a banner on top, and lower, a medallion with the feathered Indian head and the words “Trade Mark”.

KJ

Last edited:
Thanks!
The soldier started his service in October 1942 with Reserve Infantry Regiment 8. Renamed into Grenadier Regiment 285 in September 1944.
Northeast France and Italy.
As soon as it will have arrived, I'll post some more info.
Thanks

The markings read PISTOLET AUTOMATIQUE FRANÇAIS “UNION” FABRIQUÉ À SAINT ÉTIENNE CAL. 6,35

Thanks a lot!
please compare with the first paybook entry: "Union Pist. Aut. Francais"

Could be a 6.35mm Pistol. But the Army never had any 6.35 pistols (officially).
What do you think?
Thanks

Thanks!
The soldier started his service in October 1942 with Reserve Infantry Regiment 8. Renamed into Grenadier Regiment 285 in September 1944.
Northeast France and Italy.
As soon as it will have arrived, I'll post some more info.
Thanks

Great info! :thumbsup:

Another interesting detail is the change of the soldiers last name in his Wehrpass.
He was German, but born in Poland and his last name was Polish. This was changed!

Attachments

• IMG_1985.jpg
    IMG_1985.jpg
    254.6 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_1987.jpg
    IMG_1987.jpg
    257.5 KB · Views: 23

Military Rifle Journal
Back