Third Party Press

PTR-44 & FG-42 semi autos

FG42 and PTR 44

Folks I want to add my two cents here on these guns. I have a SGM FG42 (number 034) in 7.92x57. I saved for the entire time after I made the down payment and reserved mine. I have NEVER regretted it. It is not only a beautiful piece of workmanship it is a really nice shooting gun. It keeps on running and still shoots as good as it looks. The PTR44 was purchased knowing that it would need work as I got a discount on it. I have build a few MP44 semi-autos so the first thing I did was take it apart and check everything. The angle of the gas rod/bolt carrier was off as was the cam on the bolt. A little bead of weld and a new angle cut on the carrier and some light file work on the bolt took care of that problem. It shoots great and never jams unless it is a ammo problem. I think the current available ammo is a little underpowered but it works well with a weak recoil spring. The original gun was made to be a throw away when it wore out so I do not expect the reproduction to last 5000 rounds without doing a rebuild. I visited DSS while I was stationed in Germany - from 1986 until 2013 - and saw some of the interesting weapons they were developing. I was very interested in the First Model FG42 and the VG 1-5 but there was no way to import them back to the USA when I returned home. For the same reason my Mauser 712 with a lot of original accessories ended up being sold to a high Russian Official via a Holt's Fine Guns and Firearms auction.
Harry

Military Rifle Journal
Back