Third Party Press

MP44 receiver blocks

shortfal

I have a few things going on regarding the possibility getting some receiver blocks (trunions) made for the MP44's. Having made the rear receiver repair pieces I'm thinking there might be a market for the blocks as there seems to be more parts sets out there than I might have thought. Many are cut real bad with part of that block often being totally missing. It's the heart of the rifle and welding cut ones is often not practical.
I'm doing one only on my manual Bridgeport now. Not making a lot of sense time wise for more than a proof of concept exercise to see what is needed to make one.
Wondering how many might be saleable if I got a production run going from a CNC shop.
No idea of cost at present or if it would happen at all.
Pete

Hi Pete,
Depending on the cost I might be in for one. I am sure there are others who would be too.
Kevin

MP 44 Trunnions

Pete, it is a good idea, but you would need to come in at under what originals are going for.

I see them now and then, I guess that they are one of the few parts that survive on these ground dug guns.

Now, if you could make a complete semi registered receiver, those would sell!

Now and then, I see semi MP44s on Gunbroker? There is a 9mm gun on there now. Has anyone ever gotten the official ATF approval on these?

Pat

There is a complete semi receiver on GB now -

There is also a PTR receiver with a single saw cut for sale there.

I would be interested in a couple of trunions - if the price made sense -
The ground dugs seem to go for about $350 -

ground dug

I've seen the prices guys are getting or trying to get for some of those. Many I've seen are pretty much only good as interesting paperweights!
One on GB now looks to fit that description.
How about that admitted unusable barrel at over $200? We might be crazy about these guns, but hopefully not FOOLS.
My opinion FWIW.
Pete

originals??

Pete, it is a good idea, but you would need to come in at under what originals are going for.

I see them now and then, I guess that they are one of the few parts that survive on these ground dug guns.

Now, if you could make a complete semi registered receiver, those would sell!

Now and then, I see semi MP44s on Gunbroker? There is a 9mm gun on there now. Has anyone ever gotten the official ATF approval on these?

Pat
Original good unrusted ones? Not seen often at all I think. I'd be reluctant to build a high dollar gun on a less than near perfect block that's pretty much the heart of the gun. New made blocks of quality 4140 steel will certainly cost more than questionable or even good looking ones on GB.
How many complete semi rec. could ever sell? Good question!!
Looking at the details in the book STURMGEWEHR re the rec. sheet metal stamping I doubt one could ever even recover tooling costs, much less make any money producing a semi rec. It'd have to be a labor of LOVE. Look at the deep draws and the detail on that sheet metal. Kick a$$ dies needed for that kind of work. My pieces are childs play compared to a whole rec. shell.
I shot that 9MM gun on GB along with the other one the guy built at Knob Creek 3 creeks ago. Worked quite well and felt better than I'd have thought a 9MM MP would. I'm surprised no one has bid it up. There was another on GB quite a while back. As I recall it went for mega bucks. Same builder I think.
If anyone has ever submitted a built semi from a parts set to BATFE tech, It'd be news to me.
Pete

You have to wonder why Recon cut the PTR44 semi receiver they have on GB, and why they didn't leave it as a regular semi, that would have brought a higher premium - perhaps it wasn't working as it should?

I would not build a semi around any of the ground dug trunion's on offer - I looked at looked at them, but, both have inherent issues for me - I currently need two (saw cut) receivers and trunions.

Pete already can count me in if the price is right, I got a picture of one. already done and its great looking, except it does not have the block pin and ejector pin holes pre drilled and the two indents on each side are not present. As a builder I could do those , if this cuts the price then, so be it a 80% receiver block works for me

as a builder ( that's not a assembler) if you don't know the difference then your not skilled or a assembler.

I would and have used dug trunnion blocks, there is nothing wrong with them. that includes other dig items for the mp-44 better that the PTR stuff and its real

the reason the recon PTR guns are cut is because jerry has had lots of problems with certain rifles and decided to get rid of them and get back his investment. I think the price he is asking is slightly high, but that's me and its jerry right to ask whatever he wants..
I thought about buying his PTR -44 lower in semi-configuration but I was not sure if it would fit and function.

I would be in for a pair at least.
Price is what it is, it ain't going to be cheap, but nothing on these guns are.

There was a guy at the SAR show a few weeks ago selling a dug trunnion block that looked absolutely horrible, didn't even look like machined steel anymore the pitting was so bad, it was just a jagged surface. I'm sure some could end up being usable, it all depends.

The cut PTR on gunbroker was cut because it was missing the locking shoulder in the trunnion. No way to fix it, and super dangerous. Ordered a set of US made parts from Jerry a week or so ago, and happened to ask him about it.

Last edited:
I think the parts and the last PTR recon has posted were beyond fixing and that is why it was cut. Otherwise, why wouldn't they have fixed it? I happen to have a couple of pretty good originals here but I would be in for a US made one.

blocks

Pete already can count me in if the price is right, I got a picture of one. already done and its great looking, except it does not have the block pin and ejector pin holes pre drilled and the two indents on each side are not present. As a builder I could do those , if this cuts the price then, so be it a 80% receiver block works for me

as a builder ( that's not a assembler) if you don't know the difference then your not skilled or a assembler.

I would and have used dug trunnion blocks, there is nothing wrong with them. that includes other dig items for the mp-44 better that the PTR stuff and its real

the reason the recon PTR guns are cut is because jerry has had lots of problems with certain rifles and decided to get rid of them and get back his investment. I think the price he is asking is slightly high, but that's me and its jerry right to ask whatever he wants..
I thought about buying his PTR -44 lower in semi-configuration but I was not sure if it would fit and function.

You may be referring to the one rec. block I'm doing from a piece of 4140. It'll get done grooves and all. If I do some or have a number made they'd likely be complete. The grooves are easy with the right cutters as are the pin holes. That long stepped through hole, the magwell and the cuts at the rear for the locking block are what gets the attention.

I don't see any reason other than the pivot pin hole dia. why a PTR trigger housing would not work on an original receiver.
One of my semis lives with a PTR rec. I got a few years ago from Recon and a real MP44 trigger housing with the full auto sear mounting removed and Recon compliance parts somewhat reworked.
Be aware that a PTR barrel has a slightly smaller dia. where it goes into the rec. and the pin is about .070 further forward. You can see it on a PTR where the pin is closer to the flute in the side of the rec. I don't know why they were done that way, but they are. Not particularly usable in a MP44 without major rework.
Pete

The cut PTR on gunbroker was cut because it was missing the locking shoulder in the trunnion. No way to fix it, and super dangerous. Ordered a set of US made parts from Jerry a week or so ago, and happened to ask him about it.

Thank you, PTO -

This was what I thought might be the case - I emailed him to make a cash offer on the two auctions, and he didn't mention anything was wrong with the parts, when he turned down my offer.
Afterward, it was my 07 builder, who is more experienced in these types of things, pointed out that there was likely a reason the receiver had been cut.

Now this is why this forum is useful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shortfal - Please PM when you're done with your project - I am in for two, unless I find what I need in the mean time.

Yeah thanks for sharing that, I have a guy I know that was thinking about it and I can warn him off now.
Kevin

Is there a public domain (and accurate) drawing of these trunnions available?
I know a hard core machinist (who is also a gun guy) who might have some insight on CNC'ing a batch of trunnions.

What good are trunnions when there are no new sheet metal receivers being made? From my understanding removing a cut/damaged trunnion from a cut receiver can and will destroy the outside sheet metal. Or am I missing something?

A question on the trunnions:
On a loose, out of the receiver trunnion, can one remove the locking block / shoulder from one trunnion and put it in another?
I have a dug trunnion and an IMA receiver chunk with the shoulder, and wanted to swap out the pitted one with a nicer one.
I'm assuming the ejector will come out easy enough once you press the two pins out. That about right?

The sheet metal can be removed without destroying it. Takes time and care but can be done. You got the mustang logo, think of the work that some of those restoration artists can do with thinner sheet metal and a tig welder. I would say that the chances of damage are less wleding together with an intact trunnion than trying to weld it all together and welding the trunnion.

Here are a couple prints from original drawings. I also have a really nice modern drawing with all the specs done by Orin Harding but it is copyrighted so I will not post it here.

Attachments

• 73.JPG
    73.JPG
    175.2 KB · Views: 61
  • 76.JPG
    76.JPG
    174 KB · Views: 61
drawings

Here are a couple prints from original drawings. I also have a really nice modern drawing with all the specs done by Orin Harding but it is copyrighted so I will not post it here.

Got to be real careful believing any of the drawings out there. The one that looks to be original German does not match perfectly with a genuine block out of a receiver. I bought a set of block drawings off Gunbroker done by a machinist. Those do not not match up with my block either. My block is perfect having been removed by me from a live MP44 receiver shell.
Also bought the whole set of 44 prints off GB. Had some sears made off one of them. Turned out the sears made were exact to drawing but did not match up with an original sear from a 44 lower. Lost some $$ on that screwup. Should have just had my wire EDM guy copy the original. What WAS I thinking???
Pete

Military Rifle Journal
Back