Third Party Press

Book Inventory Status

mrfarb

No War Eagles For You!
Staff member
I thought it only fair to post this on our forum. We are down to about 60-70 books left to sell out of the first 1000 copies. We held back 20 books from this printing to offer a first volume boxed set when the last book from the 3 volume set goes to print.

So, if you know somebody looking to get one, get it in the next month or so. We will probably be sold out after the Show of Shows in February- we may actually sell the last book there (fitting, since the first was sold there last year).

Most may not realize this, but Bruce and I bore the full cost of this project, start to finish- research, travel, pre-printing cost, printing cost, etc. We self published and self printed this book. At this time, we don't have the resources to reprint Kriegsmodell. It's very expensive to do, and since most guys have one it would take too long to sell enough to recoup the cost of printing- this comes out of our pocket and our collecting money. Maybe, MAYBE we will print some more when the first volume comes out, as I forsee some built up demand when that book comes out.

It's been a great run. We sold most of the books the first 6 months, and were happy to have a slowdown at the end, and will have sold out in 1 year. We enjoy bringing our version of the best 98k book to collectors out there, and the next book will be no less than the first- better if you ask me, and I'm a late war collector (or was :thumbsup: )

Thanks

Mike (and Bruce)

An outstanding book Mike, Bruce. What's going to happen is that there will be those trying to put together the three sets with the first one out of print. The Clawson big book initially sold for $80. Five years later it was almost $800. Same thing with Still's Axis Pistols, etc.

In an ideal world, we would just print another 1000 copies and have them handy, to hold the price of the books down. The reality is we aren't a big publishing house. I once saw Jan Still bemoan the fact his book was selling for $300-$400, saying he shoud print some more. It still hasn't happened, and I know why- he did the same thing as us, self printed.

Bob, we didn't keep track of those stats, but a good portion went to Germany! By far Germany and Austria love the book, along with France and Italy (and throw in the UK too).

Next volume should be ready in about another year, so early 2012? Let's hope, lots of work left to do.

I just got my copy a little over a week ago, my wife ordered it for me for Christmas. Thank you Mike and Steve for all of the time, money and effort both of you put into such well researched book. I wasnt aware of the publishing/ printing circumstances, a true labor of love, I am thrilled that I didnt miss out on it.
Cant wait for the next one.
Thanks again!

I hope I am not off topic. I was at a little 175 table gun show today in Leesport, PA and a book dealer with a large selection of collectors books said he could not keep the Kreigsmodell book in stock and was having trouble getting more copies. He had one copy which sold along with a copy of BOTW while I was talking to him. I pointed out to the buyer and the book dealer that 2 more volumes were to follow.

Mike J

I take pride in my library, and buy good reference books even in areas I don't collect (e.g., I have "Inglis Diamond" by Law and have only two Inglis pistols). What happens is that because Kriegsmodell is not all over Amazon, all over the shows, etc., not as many know about it nor how good it is. We are the front small part of the bell curve, the early consumers. By the time the masses of the bell curve find out, that edition will be sold out. They'll be watching for the second, and particularly the third volumes, then will want Vol. 1 and 2 to complete the set.....and of course those volumes will be out of print. Same thing happened with the Angolia "Uniforms and Traditions". Everyone had III, but could not find I and II. In several years "Kriegsmodell" will be a $200+ book when you can find them. The next volume will sell quicker, and the last volume will sell quicker than that.

Books like this have a more limited following than general interest books, thus smaller printings. However, over time they just become more desireable. A good library is an investment in itself, not only in knowledge (which is valuable) but in the literal (pun intended) sense as well.

Quite a run on books this last weekend. Don't think we will have any at the show of shows, unless we hold back a batch. I've removed the link from the www.kriegsmodell.com website to prevent overselling.

If you are coming to the Show of Shows to buy a book, let us know before hand and we will hold one for you until Friday.

I hear you on the investment hambone. I was at a garage sale had to be 3 years now and picked up a bunch of old books i thought we could use at work (gunsmith) from time to time. i got before it was reprinted death from above, LC smith shotguns and Plans, Springfield 1903 rifles and the krag rifle. apparently the last owner liked brophy. the best part all i wanted was the 1903 book they had 10.00 on it. they were closing on the last day (sunday) and said for 20.00 i could take them all!!! i found out later the prices of some of these book so investment indeed!!!!!! I do also see that they RARELY ever sell for this huge prices at least from my exsperiance.

later
vaughn

Last edited:
More effort than most can begin to appreciate.

Having spent considerable time, expense, travel and effort in only contributing to two different texts on Trainers, I most certainly have an appreciation for the work these two fellows have done laying down things long over looked in amazing detail.

Flawless, no. No firearms text to date (particularly any thing NAZI related)
has been 100% conclusive nor will one ever be.

Considering the amount of time that has transpired since these weapons were made and used, and the circumstances of the geographical area where any documents had to survive, and the fact that eye witnesses to all of that are becoming few and far between, KM is amazing.

Bruce for sure (as I have known him for sometime), and Steve I am sure clearly "let the guns do the talking" and have an eye for detail and lust for knowledge that is rare.

KM is without a doubt the most definitive work done yet on those late 98K's.

That all said, we should not demean early works on any of the Third Reich stuff. Considering the rate at which information used to move, Olson's book and Back Bone 1 and 2 paved the way.

You get something out there and then it brings forth contradictions and more information.

If you are a student of Third Reich Weapons and you ever stop learning, somebody better call the undertaker.

Wandered off a bit there. Just that I truly appreciate what it had to have took, even on today's info super highway to produce KM.

You guys have definately left your mark and done much to enhance the knowledge of us all.

KM and Mauser22

Thanks Jim and coming from you a real compliment. Its going to be a really tough year (2011) with likely the last 6 months causing a divorce (dut to the work load required to get Vol.1 to press). I really dont know how big Vol1 is going to be but we are shooting for nearly the same page count but again no limit there. Just depends on how much poop we can squeeze into the little box. Hopefully by Feb.2012, we will have the next one ready.

Jon is really backing up Vol.1 to a big degree, enough so that we are putting his name on the dust jacket.

If we get enough demand, we will bite the bullet and go through a second printing for Kriegsmodell. Mike and I will be evaluating the whole process in the next few months and by SOS we should have an idea of how close we can get to committing to a reprint.

A big thankyou to all you guys on the forum for all your support and help. Part of the ongoing work for Vol.1 requires both Mike and I to hit the road this spring and summer for image collection for Vol.1, so we "might be in your neighborhood".

B.

Military Rifle Journal
Back