Third Party Press

KKW Sniper

Shootin Shack Guns

There is currently a KKW on one of the gun auctions (gun broker) with a ZF41 scope and base. Is there a serial number range that KKWs with scopes fall into? I'm not an expert on German optics so am trying to be careful.????

I looked at it and it's in the correct range. There aren't enough photos of the base to be 100% sure though.
I owned one and took detailed photos of the base and posted them here or on gunboards.

The front end does not look correct. It appears as though the original front end (duffle cut) got lost and was replaced by something else. The barrel bands should be held in place with pins instead of springs.

The front end does not look correct. It appears as though the original front end (duffle cut) got lost and was replaced by something else. The barrel bands should be held in place with pins instead of springs.

Yes, the rest is a train wreck !!!

Thank you. I missed the springs on the forend. I was so busy looking at the mount. I was thinking there were a bunch of repo mounts floating around a couple of years ago that were waffenamptd DUV. It sure takes the fun away having to be soooo careful that it's real.

You are getting the base and mount confused I think.. the base is soldered to the barrel. The mount is separate and is a standard k98k duv mount.
There aren't enough clear photos of the base to be 100% sure. The rifle was sporterized I'd say and was assembled with parts avail.

orig zf41 equipped kkw's are in the 270,000-271,000 range. Stock with be marked with Su19 and Su2 proofs.

You're right, I was referring to the mount. I remember Sarco was selling bases and mounts for sniper k98s a while ago and all of a sudden every gun show had snipers for sale.:facepalm:

I have never seen a sniper trainer except in books. The price for this one seems high. What do peoe think the value of this particular rifle is, and what would a textbook correct example go for?

I have never seen a sniper trainer except in books. The price for this one seems high. What do peoe think the value of this particular rifle is, and what would a textbook correct example go for?

I agree, I think snipers trained directly with K98k in 7.92 X 57.

There are .22 cal sniper training rifles. There are pictures of them in Speed's book. Mauser 99 had one I think? I don't have any idea of the value of this type of rifle. That is a good question though, who would have trained with a .22 cal training rifle?

There are .22 cal sniper training rifles. There are pictures of them in Speed's book. Mauser 99 had one I think? I don't have any idea of the value of this type of rifle. That is a good question though, who would have trained with a .22 cal training rifle?

I think you mean the Gustloff SN 242564, will be truly original ??

Kkw

Wrong stock
Appears to be reblued if you look at the front sight
Bolt should not be numbered
Appears the number has been removed from the scope mount

Looks of pictures but little detail of what you really need to see.

I think this one was rebuilt. A Gustlof KKW upper and lower band would be held together with pins not with a spring. To my knowledge only the Mauser's used the spring. But if the Gustloff is in the right range for the snipers, Mauser99 said that it was, and the parts were correct, this rifle could still be worth money. I was hoping that someone would give their opinion on this rifle and their opinion on what a completly correct rifle would bring. I would also like to know what group or groups would use this rifle.

Kkw

These were made late in the war. Don't think rebuilt but put together on a correct receiver barrel grouping.

Last one I saw which was 10 years ago brought $5K.

The ZF41 KKWs are all AFAIK Gustloffs in a particular SN range and have e/WaAs. Some Gustloff KWWs also have e/WaAs but no optics; not sure if there is an SN range for them. Most of the ordinary Gustloff KKWs you see are only e/N.

Military Rifle Journal
Back