Third Party Press
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: German GrB39 Grenade Throwing Rifle

Default German GrB39 Grenade Throwing Rifle

Revisited German WWII GrB39 Grenade Throwing Rifle
    This is one of my long time favorite weapons in my collection.. So here is some information on the weapon.........This is a grenade throwing rifle thus the name (Granatbuchse) GrB39.. It is a modification of the PzB39 antitank rifle. The breach and shoulder stock are the same, some parts like the bipod, bipodlock, carrying sling, sling band, and carrying handle are the same as on the PzB39 but are at different locations on the barrel. The barrel has been shortened to around 24 inches, at the foward end of the bbl. it has been turned down and threaded to accept the grenade launcher. The standard sights have been replaced by a complicated sighting equipment. The wooden forearm of the PzB39 has been removed and the carring sling has been moved to the right side, because of the new sighting system.. The launcher, threaded to the bbl. is the Scheissbecher, which was also used on the 98k rifle, firing the same grenades as the 98k grenade launcher.. There are three main type of grenades used for AT, AP work. A)anti -personnel (Gewehr Sprenggrnate) B)small anti-tank grenade (Gewehr Panzergranate) C)large anti-tank grenade (Gross Gewehr Panzergranate).. The propelling unit is a wooden bullet blank cartridge, I do not have one in my collection... The cartridge case used is the standard 7.92/13m/m case as used in the PzB39 anti tank rifle.. I hope members enjoy
    Attached Images Attached Images

As usual, great stuff Bill, thanks for posting, pic stickied for reference.

Great stuf bill!!

But I have to ask, how is this better than a K98 that looks to be lighter and can also shoot 8mm when needed? Can it shoot them farther

**--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    **Wanted - Original un-dicked with late Steyr (bnz45) stock... Long shot but......
    ** --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello,
    just a quick note on the grenades: There was only ONE grenade to use with the Granatbüchse 39 !!

A special variation of the "Große Gewehr-Panzergranate" (large anti-tank grenade) was made with a reinforced stem. This stem was dark brown and the grenade got the addition "mit verbessertem Drallschaft" (with improved stem).

All other grenades were too weak to launch them from the Gr.B.39 and it was forbidden to use them.
    It could be a deadly mistake to use the wrong grenade because of the powerful cartridge 318.

Here a picture of a Gr.B.39 with accessories. Note the launching cartridges and the label in the box ("mit verbessertem Drallschaft")

Cheers
    Michael

Thank you Michael, great information and picture !

Jeezus Bill !!!!

that is awesome. can i ask how you even come about something like that?

Well, these treasures are rare, even in their home-country. But sometimes you have luck ...

A rare combat photo from Italy

Senior Member BerlinerLuebecker's Avatar

Your collection is truly unbeatable, Bill! And thanks for the additional pictures and info, Michael, very informative on this neat piece.