Third Party Press

MG 34 1943 Matching,posibly unissued.

a j s

I bought this one off of a Scottish museum,about 25 years ago.This was there best Nazi MG and talk of deactivation was in the air and so they suggested sending it out to the colonies to save it.
This Brunn is apparently a rare portugese export model with its number of 355 on the top cover.Also the letters T A by the trigger group are for the portugese. The blue is also near commercial quality,not the dusty blue of the Nazi military.The barrel is also original matching.
It is shown with some MG 34 xtras,the early Anti Aircraft front sight has the ERMA logo.The belt of Nazi ammo shown has an interesting history,it was assembled in Austria in 1945 along with other belts by a young teenager who found the belts and bullets to be plentiful,this gave him something to do.When he later imigated to New Zealand he bought them out with him.mg 34 033.jpgmg 34 002.jpgmg 34 005.jpgmg 34 006.jpgmg 34 010.jpgmg 34 043.jpgmg 34 012.jpgmg 34 027.jpgmg 34 025.jpgmg 34 050.jpg

Attachments

• mg 34 052.jpg
    mg 34 052.jpg
    292.1 KB · Views: 144
  • mg 34 017.jpg
    mg 34 017.jpg
    318.1 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:
mg 34 046.jpgMore, Note the MG 42 main spring beside the MG 34 main spring,the MG 42 is the double wire wound.mg 34 049.jpgmg 34 055.jpgmg 34 060.jpgmg 34 069.jpgmg 34 076.jpgmg 34 020.jpgmg 34 009.jpgmg 34 019.jpg

Last edited:
Wow! I have to admit I like your 38 with machined feed cover best still, but I have never seen an mg34 in this condition. Great :happy0180:

Wow..thats a bueat...

The 42 gets all the glory for its feed rate,but the 34 really is a better looking machine imo.

Not as bulky looking and a lot of gun for its size.Compare the receiver to a .30Cal and it really shows a higher level of engineering.

The bipod makes it a lot easier for quick emplacement and the lafette is superior to what we had in terms of a tripod.

Great gun.. a real treat to look @ ...thanks for sharing.

Magnificent weapon, one of the best I've seen easily. Thanks for sharing AJS, pic stickied for reference.

Wow..thats a bueat...

The 42 gets all the glory for its feed rate,but the 34 really is a better looking machine imo.

IMO, I have to agree. The machining and finish are outstanding. Really enjoyed the pics. Thanks for sharing.

Portugese contract

Interesting as I have a MG 34 also from the same Portuguese contract that has serial number 7082. It is also all matching. Since it was deactivated and we cannot add new MG's to the MG registry since 1986 in the USA, I had a semi-auto receiver build by TNW with the same serial number as the rest of the gun. It is also a beauty as these contract guns did have a nice finish on them and it appears the Portuguese did not use them much. Harry

Nice MG. Portuguese guns are always all matching, unless they've been tampered with postwar. Also, they were never used in WW2 so hence unissued condition. Did you get the matching transit case with it with accessories inside?

Interesting as I have a MG 34 also from the same Portuguese contract that has serial number 7082. It is also all matching. Since it was deactivated and we cannot add new MG's to the MG registry since 1986 in the USA, I had a semi-auto receiver build by TNW with the same serial number as the rest of the gun. It is also a beauty as these contract guns did have a nice finish on them and it appears the Portuguese did not use them much. Harry

Nearly a direct hit!!! I own Portuguese contract MG34 transit box number '7042'!!!! Very close...

Again, smoking hot MG ajs. Your stuff is truly top notch, as good as it gets. That would be the sun of my collecting universe ;) I am glad to know that some Scottish museum curators saw the beauty in it and did not allow it to be vandalized by dewatting.

Thanks for your kind words,especially from you Hambone as I know you are passionate about Nazi MGs.Not sure about the Ammo,its all sorts from just this youths random pick up and fitting to the belts.
No it didn"t come with the transit case ZF41 K98K,pitty..I was lucky that a local Dealer/Collector was in Scottland at the time,shooting Grouse and tasting Scotch,he was able to put the deal together.I like the fit and precise machineing on the Mg 34s,The Butt is such a snug fit compared to MG 42s
Alister.8mm 004.jpg

Last edited:

Military Rifle Journal
Back