Third Party Press

byf 44 Kriegsmodell

mrfarb

No War Eagles For You!
Staff member
Picked this one up from the trader. There was some concern that the stock was shellacked when I bought it. When I got it, the stock did have something on it (dried oil or cosmoline maybe) in a few places. Normally i leave these untouched but this one just needed the slightest cleanup. So lightly that the original green house paint that's on it didn't get touched. Anyway, typical L block Kriegsmodell, nothing super rare or anything, but has a few quirks I saw. Has partial firing proof on the barrel shoulder, most likely from operator error. I'm fairly sure a machine was used to stamp these and the operator let it get away from him?

Only other anomaly is the 3 e/135 inspections on the triggerguard. I'm guessing the pressure of increased production affected everyone. I'm posting this as I'm testing out my photo equipment since I had to pack it up when my daughter came home from college (she went back), also as a preview to another late Mauser Kreigsmodell that should arrive soon, it's what I'm calling a Unicorn. Check back Monday night. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• side.jpg
    side.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 466
  • serial.jpg
    serial.jpg
    221.7 KB · Views: 404
  • bolt.jpg
    bolt.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 320
  • code.jpg
    code.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 312
  • cutout.jpg
    cutout.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 264
  • e140.jpg
    e140.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 245
  • keel.jpg
    keel.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 236
  • stock.jpg
    stock.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 268
  • tguard.jpg
    tguard.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 289
  • wrist.jpg
    wrist.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 278
Beautiful example Mike. Must have been chaotic times at the MO plant. byf44 l-block, about late January 1945?

KJ

Last edited:
I'm guessing this one was assembled early Jan 45 but that's a wild a$$ guess.

One thing I forgot to mention is I think the bolt is an armorers bolt and not a late supplied FN bolt since it's blued. Armorers bolts are received were blued and would have not been refinished, supplied bolts were in the white and would have been phosphated in this range in my opinion. That and I think the supplied late FN bolts lack the e/140.

Interesting info regarding the late FN bolts being supplied without the e/140. I have been curious as to why some lack the e/140 and this now makes sense.

I'll have to pay more attention to that little tid bit in the future.

Nice one Mike. Glad it turned out well. I know a lot of people were wondering when it was up.

The blueing looks FANTASTIC.
Obviously, this is original condition. But, blueing like that always raises red flags immediately when I see it on gunbroker and the like. Outstanding looking example.

Where it sat in order to have acquired house paint spatter, but to have survived in such condition is amazing!

What are You on a mission or something to own every L block out there Now . Bet your glad you bought this one , I know I am happy for yah!!! . Great Condition . Best Regards.
:googlie

Military Rifle Journal
Back