Third Party Press
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: ZF41 Study

Default ZF41 Study

Hi all, this is my first time to post a thread in this forum.

I had been studying especially on ZF41 scopes.
    My website:
    http://zielfernrohr.b.la9.jp/index.htm

And had been collecting data of them (serial# and markings) and compiling them into a list. After working on for about 10 years, now I have managed to show almost every marking patterns connecting to serial numbers on each manufactures.
    List of ZF41:
    http://zielfernrohr.b.la9.jp/ZF41database.pdf

For further study, I would like to share information I have got and express my thoughts and hear your opinions or acquire new information.

I would start with basic facts on ZF41 scopes.

External appearances
    Except for the difference of the markings, 3 type exist. ZF41 Type1, Type2 and ZF41/1.
    See how to distinguish those types.
    zielfernrohr15020701.jpg

"Longer ocular tube" on ZF41/1 means by that you can see its end out of the rear rainshield. It also means the main scope body is shorter, so the total length of the scope is same.
    zielfernrohr15020702.png

ZF41 Type2 and ZF41/1 are similar in appearance but VERY different inside.

I knew Luc from Belgium. I have talked with him at an other forum, before his website. He had seen my website, but somehow did not understand the difference between Type2 and ZF41/1. He called ZF41/1 as Type2 too.

I will write about inside, the optical components of ZF41, in the next posting.

Ken
    Last edited by kentomon; 03-12-2016 at 09:29 AM. Reason: changed URL

Ken, you did a great job with your work. I think most do not comment, because it is simply perfect.

Really nice work.
    It a great source of information, specifically as a small thought of buying a ZF41 in forming in my mind at the moment.

Thanks a lot for posting this. The is now part of my reference library..

BR
    Scharfschuetze

Really great work, thank you!

Thank you for your comments. It is really good to get replies when thinking a bit that perhaps no one will be interested. Now, I will continue with pleasure.

Optical components

There is a large difference between 2 types, ZF41 and ZF41/1. Between Type1 and Type2, the difference is only the size of the objective lenses.

ZF41 has 9 elements (lenses) in 6 groups. 2+1 in objective cell, 2+2 for erecting lens, 1+1 for ocular lens. The main objective lens is a doublet (2 lenses as one), while all other lenses seem to be single lenses. The main ocular lens is buried into the ocular tube and cannot be taken out. 2 erecting lenses are separated by a spacer and held in their positions within the erector cell.

ZF41/1 is a simplified version of ZF41 and has less lenses. It has 7 elements in 4 groups. 2 in objective, 2+2 for erecting, 1 for ocular. I do not know what exact difference is made with 2 less lenses than ZF41, but I am sure that the quality of view is poorer.

I had been long thinking of making drawings of both types to show the difference of the optical systems, but I had not enough time and ability. So here is one (ZF41/1) from wartime US ordnance report (dated 14 Feb.1945).
    zielfernrohr15020703.jpg

I have to say, I have disassembled only a few scopes. And I also know there are transitional or experimental variants whose systems I realy do not know. So new informations are always welcome.

Next time, I would like to write about the production of ZF41.

Ken
    Last edited by kentomon; 09-19-2016 at 04:49 AM. Reason: Corrected misunderstandings

It's amazing how much information you have amassed on these! Very nice work and great presentation.

I encourage everyone with a ZF41 to submit the data. I will send my data, I only have 1 scope.
    Order the new K98k book at www.thirdpartypress.com
    Don't forget to visit www.latewar.com for info on late war 98k's.

Great job. Thanks for your hard work.

Great work! I remember coming across your site years ago but I think was very little English at that point.
    Looking for 10" cleaning rod, early style e/214 #91, nazi style e/26 #04

Senior Member Winchester Cowboy's Avatar

Excellent work and a great job!

I will submit my ZF41 data as well.

Ken,

Thank you for joining and sharing your research work. It is appreciated.