Third Party Press

ZF41 Study

Recently having purchased a rather uncommon ZF41 mount, I thought I should share some detail shots of it also in here. It is one of the mounts which were used on the Gustloff KKW .22 training rifles, see here for a near pristine rifle that Hercules shared with us: http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread.php?38954-Gustloff-KKW-ZF41-Sniper

They are rather "easily" identified by the six digit serial number on the mount - since no (WWII German) K98k rifle ever had six digits, it is quite obvious they were for something else. My research showed that original ZF41 sniper training rifles were in the 269.000 to 272.000 serial range. My scope mount carrying the 270.330 is right in this range. Note that interestingly it seems these letters were painted white, there is still some paint visible.

For what I've been able to find out (and if my memory serves me right) these mounts were originally issued with jve coded ZF41 scopes. So if someone has a spare jve coded scope or someone else even the top half rings in a matching condition, I'd be pleased to buy them to hopefully recomplete the scope.

Attachments

• zf41_01.jpg
    zf41_01.jpg
    233.7 KB · Views: 36
  • zf41_02.jpg
    zf41_02.jpg
    218.2 KB · Views: 51
  • zf41_03.jpg
    zf41_03.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 40
  • zf41_04.jpg
    zf41_04.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 34
Great find and thank you for sharing!

In the old book "The German Sniper 1914-1945" by Peter R. Seich on the page214, there is a picture of ZF41 with a lower serial number of KKW on the mount.
The caption says: A "ddv" code ZF41 sight originally paired with a Gustloff KKW rifle (143635).

Perhaps it is reasonable to think the earlier serial range (143k-) used ddv (or other Type1) ZF41, and the later serial range (270k-) used jve ZF41/1 (Type3).
I wish to know their scope serial numbers.

Merkblatt für den Karabiner98k-Zf.41

I have re-typed the whole “Merkblatt für den Karabiner98k-Zf.41”, and for those who are not used to reading German Fraktur, I have uploaded it in my website.
http://zielfernrohr.b.la9.jp/zielfernrohr_095.htm
As an appendix, I have also added concerning part of H.Dv.130/2a Ausbildungsvorschrift für die Infanterie, parts written on Zielfernrohrgewehr and Zielfernrohrschütze. Sorry for no English translation.

ETO Report

Hello
Perhaps you will find this more interesting.
It is the ETO Ordnance Technical Report on ZF41/1 dated 14 Feb. 1945.
See my website for more information.
http://zielfernrohr.b.la9.jp/
zielfernrohr095004-3.jpg
The rifle is byf44 50691f.
pic2-2.jpg
And the mismatched scope is numbered 49712f.
pic2-1.jpg
I believe they were mismatched after the capture.

I have acquired a copy of newly published magnificent book and was shocked to find out the knowledgeable author still stuck into the prejudice that the first of the 1.5 powered scopes were made as the “Z.f.40”. He even says only about 3,000 of them were made and remarked later for the use with K98k.

The scope started its development after the order from Heer around 1938. There is no doubt it was originally intended to go on with self-loading rifles. But these rifles had hard time in developing and it was December of 1942 that Gewehr41 was finally adopted. On the other side, K98k-Zf41 was introduced in July of 1941 and ZF41 were already in mass-production. Only when some Gew41 were ordered to be made with rail for scope, also the scope was ordered for mass-production. This was around 1942 to 1943.
From the observation of the scopes, that is clearly explained.
Early Type1 scopes have no designation. These scopes, only made by cxn and bmj, might have been used with experimental self-loaders. And then mass-production of Type1 ZF41 begins by various makers. Around 1942, cxn begins to manufacture Type2, improved ZF41, and this is when ZF40* was ordered. And soon then followed the simplified Type3, as ZF40, by several makers.
From the extension of the serial numbers, I would estimate the production number was at least as bellow.
ZF40* 5,600 (only cxn)
ZF40 cag 3,900, cxn 7,000, dow 15,000: total 25,900 (some mixed with ZF41/1, exclude other makers i.e. dym, eso)

I had been claiming that ZF40 is NOT early scopes and trying to share the information for more than 10 years, but still in vain. Many people will read the book and with no doubt believe “ZF40 are early scopes” not knowing what “early” are.

Which reminds me, I had a discussion in Japan for more than 20 years ago on the length of G/K43 rifles. Although I had both real rifles in my hands, some people never believe me they are the same, just because it is a “fact” written in some books that K43 is 5cm shorter!
I really hate those “facts” without enough consideration.

Is the ZF-41 mount etched, stamped or scribed? The picture above appears stamped as have several others I have seen.
As a general rule for Borsigwalde they were pantograph engraved with the last two digits of the serial acid etched on the top of the rings.

All originals I have seen are this way. BYF and duv included.
Me too I just couldn’t state that unequivocally as I can for ar. I’ve seen stamped mounts I thought original but they weren’t on rifles so.....There are so few original matching mount rifles, I can count the ones I’ve seen in 35 years on one hand, as to make it difficult.

Thank you trinxet and Matt!
I have made a next one.
Take a look at the earliest ZF41 type scope called "ZF1.5x1.3".

It seems quite a lot of people are interested, but I will keep going on!
This time, I have shown the difference of the 3 types.

Thank you trinxet as always!
Now this time, I have shown the transition of the German lubricant markings on military optics. I have been saying for more than a decade that the marking will be a clue to presume the date of its manufacture. I would welcome any opinions on these.

Military Rifle Journal
Back