Third Party Press
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: ZF41 Study

Is that a scope you have in your pocket?

Ken, we spoke a number of years back by email , spoke mainly about the 4X Scopes . IMHO I have found that the collecting of ZF41 Scopes & Mounts appears to be a much larger collector base for these in Europe than the USA. I believe it has to do with the availability and abundance still in Europe and there affordability as well . The Information You have posted just proves that the ZF41 Scopes & Mounts are a collecting field unto themselves . Thank You for sharing Your info and I commend You on your effort to bring to light this very informative informations . I myself had no idea how intricate these ZF41 Scopes truely are and the differences between the types . Keep up the great work. Best Regards .

Thank you all for your kind words. I would always appreciate your help.
    What I really want to write is from now on. Things I have written in the past postings are facts you can believe. Hereafter I would like to express my thoughts and hear your opinions.

Before going back to ZF41, I have to write about the lubricant markings found on optical equipments.

Lubricant markings and production years
    As you know, scopes are not dated but most of them have lubricant markings. I have thought studying on these markings might give more information on the scopes. The meaning of the markings are well known. It indicates the type of lubricant applied to the scope. So I have focused on the date referring to each lubricant types.
    1.K.F. (Invarol)
    Adopted on 27th May 1940 (From Allgemeine Heeresmitteilungen).
    2.Light blue circle (Vakuumfett 1416)
    Date of adoption is unknown, but appeared in the first version of the manual for winter warfare dated 5th August 1942.
    zielfernrohr15021101.jpg
    3.Light blue cross (Instrumentenfett 1442)
    Appeared in the revised version of the winter manual dated 1st November 1942.
    zielfernrohr15021102.jpg
    4.Light blue triangle (Lubricant unkown)
    It is said that the marking appeared in the late 1943 but I have found no date yet.

If you look through cxn on my database, you can see these markings coming right in this order. From these, I have estimated very roughly the production year of the optic relating to the markings.
    K.F.: 1940-41
    Circle: 1942
    Cross: 1942-43-44 (mainly in 1943)
    Triangle: 1943-44-45 (mainly in 1944)

I know this is far from perfect, but I believe it would be interesting clue on this subject together with further study.
    (For more information, see my webpage: http://homepage3.nifty.com/zielfernr...rnrohr_039.htm)

Hi
    Have you ever seen an ar K98 ZF41 with flat rail in the L block of 1942 ? If not , how do you explain cxn first type ZF41 with blue circle on original L block mount with flat rollers ? just a thought.
    best regards
    Attached Images Attached Images

This is very helpful! For your records, I have cag 41/1 serial number 5697 with a cross. It is in an unnumbered late 214 mount. It came in an unnumbered tan-painted case.

Xavier,
    Thank you very much for your comment. Really beautiful rifle and scope. I have little information on the rifles. So the 42 rifles with flat rails are not seen. It is easy to say perhaps the blue circle is already from 1941 since no confirming document is found yet. But I have thought the circle was one result of winter war in 1941, so I would think the other way. I guess they produced only flat railed K98k-Zf41, no normal railed one made together in the same line in 1941. If the scope was mated at the same time, they should all have flat rollers. Now digging up my data for flat rollers, I see very early ZF41 with K.F. and also several blue circles. I know my data is not enough, but what I see is the lowest serial# for flat roller circle is 71k and highest 88k, which means at least 17k scopes were produced. And they are not only flat rollers but also normal rollers mixed together. This means at that time, both flat and normal railed K98k-Zf41 existed, which means it might be a bit late from 1941. Remember, they had to prepare for the next winter, it is possible to think they have tried to switch the scope if the new scope is available.

prez1981,
    thank you for your data!

Hi Ken
    the L block from Borsigwalde (AR) is a late block of 1941, I agree. K98 DUV of 1941 with flat rail do exist as well.
    I have never seen a K98 ZF41 of 1942 with flat rail but that does not mean they do not exist in the beginning of 1942.
    best regards
    Xavier

Very well done Ken and thank you for sharing this. This will be pic stickied for reference and your excellent work provided a link.
    http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread....eference-Index

Hello,
    have this fzg+ ZF41 serial#3592 in my collection. Seems to be a very high serial for a ZF41.
    Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hambone,
    I am glad if this will be someone's help, because I have learned a lot from others and is still learning!

Amberg,
    thank you for the data, nice scope!