Third Party Press
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mauser 98k "bcd 43"

Default Mauser 98k "bcd 43"

Hi all,

I have a Mauser 98k "bcd 43". I want to know all about it including its section in the Wehrmacht ( Heer ? / Luft ? / Kriegs ? ).

Tell me if you need more pictures.

Thank you !

Default Bcd43

hi and welcolme...It's a neat rifle. Made by Gustloff werke in 1943. It's cool as it's a double letter suffix and I cant recall seeing one before. I really like the barrel code there.
    I'm not to versed in them and SimsonSuhl will chime in for sure with the answer.

The different branch markings were phased out in 1941 and stock marking was almost not used at all by some of the makers. Gustloff kept putting eagle/H on their stocks pretty much till the end. The "C" on the stock and the "f" on the recoil lug are sub-contracter codes and can be looked up in the book "kreigsmodell" as they are all listed there. I'm sure others will chime in and add to what I've started.

Looy,

What can you tell us about it?

**--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    **Wanted - Original un-dicked with late Steyr (bnz45) stock... Long shot but......
    ** --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree, a very nice rifle, - the barrel was made by FN using a semi-finished barrel blank. This steel firm is not known with certainty, but it is fairly commonly encountered.

The "f" recoil, and "C" stock are subcontractors as Mauser99 stated, both Saxon firms, "f" from Leipzig and "C" an office table/desk maker in Dresden.

Gustloff Weimar, was an assembler, they made very few parts on the rifles they assembled. They did make some stocks and some barrels but they are rarely encountered.

Like Steyr, Gustloff's rifle production was a sideline, and insignificant aspect of the company overall. Both were part of a much larger corporation, and both were essentially givernment corporations (with a facade of a privately owned enterprise)

No way to say with certainty which branch of service the rifle served, though the Army/Heer would be by far the most likely. Most production went to them- that is why the ss-scumbags restrained their industrial involvement in the early war period. As whether you produced the rifle or provided the labor, distribution and acceptance was an Army affair and not until the later period did this start to change (and you see more ss involvement in private enterprise)

In the early stages, Himmler himself stopped ss overtures to buy up small arms factories for this reason. His resources were best applied in the occupied territories- Poland and the Protectorate, where they had a great deal of influence over industries (Brunn actually did weapons research for the ss!).

If you can, try and show us the full barrel coding?
    Hence, that which we have to express in a precise way, is the liberty of each limited only by the like liberties of all. This we do by saying: - Every man is free to do that which he wills, provided he infringes not the equal freedom of any other man. Herbert Spencer

Thank you "mauser99" and thank you "SimonSuhl".

I give you others pics and now you have all the markings of the rifle including the barrel coding.

Last edited by looy; 01-18-2011 at 04:16 PM.

Here are the last ones

Thanks for the extra pictures! Very good quality, and they should the numerous subcontractors so typical of Gustloff Weimar. Almost all being from Saxony or Thüringen (bolt sleeve from Z-M), -except the barrel.

You did not image the bottom flat of the bolt? What is the markings under the bolt handle- opposite of the bolt handle serial? Easy enough to guess but one never can be sure with Gustloff!
    Hence, that which we have to express in a precise way, is the liberty of each limited only by the like liberties of all. This we do by saying: - Every man is free to do that which he wills, provided he infringes not the equal freedom of any other man. Herbert Spencer

The finish with the pitting looks odd to me.

**--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    **Wanted - Original un-dicked with late Steyr (bnz45) stock... Long shot but......
    ** --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looks ok to me.

Here are all the markings on the bolt I didn't image. There is no more :

And the markings under the buttplate :