Third Party Press
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mauser 98k "bcd 43"

Default bcd 43

Very nice rifle! Good job on your photo documentation. I will have to drag out my bcd43 to compare. In their own way, the bcd 43's are an interesting version of the k98.

Thank you very much to everyone for the informations !

This rifle was found in an attic in eastern France.

The upper band isn't original to the rifle is it? Double letters are late in the year and I don't remember H-bands even early in "43, my d suffix is speed milled. JL

If you look again, the bands are m/m.

Still think that pitting is very odd..

**--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    **Wanted - Original un-dicked with late Steyr (bnz45) stock... Long shot but......
    ** --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can't say if the upper band is original or not but the lower band is marked "4922" so this one seems to be added. I think..

What is the "SS" look alike on this picture ? I don't pretend it is an SS marking but it always disturbed me...

Nobody can tell me what is it ?

Quote Originally Posted by looy View Post
    Nobody can tell me what is it ?
    There are plenty of assembly type markings under the woodline on a Kar.98k receiver which no one (here) can explain. Such markings likely differed from factory to factory (e.g. Polish glyphs on Radom produced receivers). I doubt if anyone can tell you with certainty what the "4", "11 Y", or "W" mean either.
    WTB/WTT: (1)late E/H marked bcd stock either standard or semi-Kriegs; (2)unnumbered late MO Zf-41 stock, Kriegs or standard stock; (3)transitional late unnumbered type dot stock which uses bandspring and has bayo mount but no cleaning rod hole; (4)unnumbered byf standard stock as typically found on some byf 44 K and L block rifles; (5)unnumbered E/H bnz standard stock as typically found on bnz.4 and bnz 44 N, O, and P block rifles; (6)any bnz Kriegsmodell stock either with E/H or without

Here is another oddball mark

Attached Images Attached Images
    **--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    **Wanted - Original un-dicked with late Steyr (bnz45) stock... Long shot but......
    ** --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree, these are probably some sort of assembly markings- establishing certain "internal" quality assurance standards or inspection. Lost to us today, but probably of some importance then.

By 1943, Buchenwald was heavily involved with Gustloff's assembly, but you can't tie any such markings to the ss -neither as a property marking or some form of ss acceptance/accountability.

Not that collectors don't try.. but in 1943 the ss were not big players in industry or weapons acceptance-distribution (especially in Germany proper). In the General government (unincorporated Poland) and the Protectorate (Bohemia/Czech- including dou in Slovakia) they did have a great deal of influence this early but still the Army and Speer's Ministry still held most controls (they did have heavy handed ss oversight and security, especially dealing with labor).