Third Party Press

WWII German 're-packed' ammunition: How to tell?

Pat

Staff member
I've seen some foreign produced ammunition (Czech/Polish/Dutch/French, but captured by Germany) described as 'repacked by the Germans' and would like to know how one would be able to tell. Is it referring only to the German made labels for foreign calibers? I've also seen some ammunition in it's original boxes with a black 'X' marked over the label. Is that an indication?

Thanks,
Pat

Pat, I have a sealed crate of 1200 rds Czech military 1938 date 7.92 that has a German label over it and re stenciled and green overpainted crate. From what I've seen the Germans would relabel existing packaging. However, with this Czech, the individual boxes of 15 rounds bear their original Czech labels, only the main crate is German marked.
Regards,
HB

Thanks for the response Hambone. Any idea about the black 'X' seen marked across original labels of assumed capture ammo, Polish in particular?
Thanks,
Pat

Most of the inked "X" boxes were repacked post war out of Romania. WW2 German repacking was quite distinctive by comparison. Some 15/20 round boxes were complete and correct but still received the black ink "X". Most of the 7,9 ammo, including some made for Romania by DWM, was included in that bunch. Tennessee Guns was the original importer IIRC. JH

Jim,
I'm a bit confused. Are you saying the 'X' could have been applied either during the war by the Germans, or post-war by the Romanians?

I've included a pic of some 'X' marked pre-war Polish 8mm as an example.
Pat
8230050347b04392c086809ce715e6ac.jpg

Hi Pat,
Sorry for the confusion. Post war repack. I will try to find some German repacked Polish labels. JH

Pat,
Here are a couple of German repack labels for 7,9 Polish boxes. The labels are applied over the top of the 15 round box. JH

Attachments

• Polish 7,9 German label.jpg
    Polish 7,9 German label.jpg
    280.9 KB · Views: 43

Military Rifle Journal
Back