Third Party Press

Louisville SOS

feldmütze

Back from the SOS, I saw a couple of bolt m/m Kar88's, one bolt m/m Gew91, about 4 K98a's, one being a very nice '18 Erfurt. For Gew98's, about 8 total. There was a '15 Simson, bolt & handguard m/m, no rod, a lot of rust scale....serial # 2599. The owner was real proud of it, had it marked $1050, & wouldn't go lower than $750. There was a pretty rough '13 Mauser G98, and a decent '17 Sauer with lid. It was supposedly matching and it had a nice fiddleback walnut stock, but the hand guard was way off on appearance compared to the stock.

I saw that $1800 "rare sauer" and laughed. I looked over that $725 '13 obie good. Was rough , really bad bore and a depot salvage on top of it all. There was a another $875 depot salvaged 16 obie next to Miltons table...same guy had a gorgeous Patt'14 for $1200.... I was really tempted by that lovely peice. Had a matching 15 spandau with me and got irritated at all the sharks trying to get me to put a cash price on it when I clearly said trade fodder only. One arrogant guy said everything's got a price and money will sway anybody... I interrupted him and said "not me buddy" . Was gonna drag the 14 erfurt 98a around with flash hider but had to rethink that after all the sharks attention.
Looked at a fellas real od 147 1938 98. It appeared to have a legit matched stock set and all other parts...but sported a gew98 barrel serialed w/prefix to it. Looked like one of those long barreled south american 7mm match rifles. Still not sure it was legit , but he had only just got it and intended to take it out of the wood tonight for a looky see.

2599 would be a new confirmed high for Simson/15, nice report! Any 1913 dated is tough to find, and JPS/17 can be tough too... How was CB's KS display? I am sure exemplary.

Craig didn't have his display. The wife of the fellow that was supposed to drive it down hurt her shoulder & he couldn't come. Hopefully next year he'll have the display.

Probably a politician (crook)... they count on it every other November.

One arrogant guy said everything's got a price and money will sway anybody... I interrupted him and said "not me buddy" ...

Sorry to hear that, - yes hopefully so.

Craig didn't have his display. The wife of the fellow that was supposed to drive it down hurt her shoulder & he couldn't come. Hopefully next year he'll have the display.

Man I hate thinking about that rifle...anyone know the guy or has his contact info - the guy I mentioned with the gorgeous Patt'14 next to Milton's table. I hate to drive the 60 miles to L'ville tommorrow and find out he left out tonight and old school milton does not have a cell phone for me to badger him on. Thinking of maybe selling that spandau and taking that patty 14 home.

Probably a politician (crook)... they count on it every other November.

Even my joisey Itallian wife thought the guy and a few others rather rude.... and of course some other choice words from her otherwise charming personality.
I had too much vodka and beer last night to care to det into it with those types..gave'em short shrift. Now handfull of other guy - collectors for sure I had pleasant conversations withon gew98's. That alone made it worth the show... and of course tannernite.

Wanted to say alot of the dealers and collectors were packing their stuff up today so yes he most likely will not be there tomorrow. And I also that rifle and yes it was nice hope you find the guy and get it.

Wanted to say alot of the dealers and collectors were packing their stuff up today so yes he most likely will not be there tomorrow. And I also that rifle and yes it was nice hope you find the guy and get it.

Anyone grab an SOS show guide that showed dealer names and contact info with table location. I forgot to grab one - that may give me what I seek to contact the fella.

Sorry for the letdown but there may be a silver lining of sorts: if I can get two tables next year I may expand the exhibit a bit to include a couple of colonial service pistols and some interesting visuals. I'm also looking at an alternative method of getting the goodies down there. We aren't about to drive it and I'm not about to trust the goodies to the vagaries of airline baggage handling....

BTW, I saw two G91s in the show; Eisel had one (rough) for under $1K and somebody else the other.

As was the case last year the place was crawling with Spandau 71/84s. There were also a number of needleguns in evidence; at least two B65s.

There were also a number of needleguns in evidence; at least two B65s.

I saw a M54, a M57, and two M65s. The M57 sold and I bought one of the M65s; the one without the Beck conversion. Were there others? I always get stuck behind my tables. The M54 was much better than the one I have and I seriously considered it. The M54 and the 2 M65s were the ones from the Julia auction last year.

Military Rifle Journal
Back