Third Party Press
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: RESEARCH PROJECT - Amberg 1916-1918

Quote Originally Posted by CLG View Post
    Not sure if you are still tracking these, but here is my 1917 Amberg:
    As Paul said: yes, we are still working on that project.
    Thank you very much for the contribution!!
    Your rifle fits perfectly into my thoughts about that marking.
    More later.

Thanks
    Wolfgang

I look forward to the fruits of your research! I posted additional pictures on a separate thread.

Amberg 1917, 2866 p- 8G7-0, Barrel Code: BC. 742, Bolt Code K5 7G7 0BS
    Last edited by mauser1908; 11-02-2019 at 09:10 PM.

Since I had been asked to participate, but have never found time yet, I finally did examine my three Amberg rifles fitting to this period:

1. Amberg 1917, serial 5600 q (I think q, but might also be a g?) receiver side marked "3 H7 0" (yes, looks like there is a space between 3 and H7), Letter G on receiver bottom
    2. Amberg 1917, serial 1893k, receiver side marked "3E7 0", Letter G on receiver bottom
    3. Amberg 1918, serial 437f, receiver side marked "8E8 0". Can't remove H band from rifle since sitting so tight (this rifle surely never had been apart since spiders and plants fell out when I removed the magazine guard), so can't tell on the receiver bottom code

All rifles are all matching numbers, never reworked, reblued, reproofed or anything else - and original WWI configuration.

Edit: just a wild guess (if neither of you have made this one themselves previously) - the German proof post WWII interestingly always coded the year with letters, but leaving out the letter I (maybe because it can be confused quite easily with J if not stamped properly?). Using this system for the months would work too, especially since the higher the serial blocks they only reach up to letter M highest in your listing, which would equal December:

A - 1 (January)
    B - 2 (February)
    C - 3 (March)
    D - 4 (April)
    E - 5 (May)
    F - 6 (June)
    G - 7 (July)
    H - 8 (August)
    J - 9 (September)
    K - 10 (October)
    L - 11 (November)
    M - 12 (December)

This would for my rifles mean H7 be August 1917, E7 be May 1917 and E8 being May 1918. And it would fit that rifles made in early no letter blocks would use parts made in December from previous year (M6 and M7 coded).
    Last edited by Absolut; 12-02-2019 at 08:57 AM.

That is exactly what I think!
    I only made one mistake in my previous assumptions. I thought, the first digit is part of the date. But Stephan convinced me that it is more likely a batch#.
    Some time ago I got the production numbers for Amberg rifles from November 1916 - November 1918. Dr. Dieter Storz from the Bavarian Army Museum, was kind enough to provide the data. This will help a lot for further research.
    Please do not expect any results within the next few weeks.
    Thanks
    Wolfgang