Third Party Press
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Unexpectedly, Received a 98k bring back that was my grandfathers

Default Unexpectedly, Received a 98k bring back that was my grandfathers

Hello everyone, i am new here but plan to stick around and learn alot of history. I have been wanting a K98 for a while, i submitted my C&R license a couple weeks back with the intention of collecting a few Mausers. A couple days ago i got an unexpected call from my brother that my grandmother had found some guns of my grandfather who had passed away some years ago. Turns out one was a Mauser he had brought back from the war, you couldn't believe my excitement. I have researched and read alot the past couple days and have learned my Mauser is a BYF 44 F built in Mauser AG Oberndorf. Every serial number i can find on the rifle matches, and the bore seems to be in good shape after i cleaned it. The rifle has sat in an attic for who knows how many years, i would like to protect the metal and maybe clean it up without destroying any character. I don't want to restore or refinish, but what is the best way to protect the rifle and prevent any future damage as i plan on having this rifle in the family for many years. Thanks for reading, i hope to see you guys around alot.

Last edited by brunnels; 03-24-2015 at 12:51 AM.

That is an absolutely fantastic looking byf 44 f block. I wouldn't do a thing to it other than oiling the metal carefully.

Good for you buddy glad you started your collection with a nice bring-back K98k Mauser and it was your Grandfathers too an even bigger plus. Agree with jbmauser oil the metal, clean your bore for storage, and a nice dry place for storage prefer a safe in my opinion just make sure to get a golden rod for it. Hope this rifle remains in your family for many years to come. And you may find the bring-back papers too that would be a big plus with this rifle.
    "Don't use your musket if you can kill 'em with your hatchet"

Major Robert Rogers 1757 Founder of the U.S Army Rangers

Very sharp rifle! The receiver almost looks like it had a high-polish finish on it... Enjoy!
    My best to you,

- Samuel

Danke schön!

Great luck! Nice looking rifle. He didn't touch a thing on it which is the way you want it.
    Looking for 10" cleaning rod, early style e/214 #91, nazi style e/26 #04

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior1354 View Post
    Good for you buddy glad you started your collection with a nice bring-back K98k Mauser and it was your Grandfathers too an even bigger plus. Agree with jbmauser oil the metal, clean your bore for storage, and a nice dry place for storage prefer a safe in my opinion just make sure to get a golden rod for it. Hope this rifle remains in your family for many years to come. And you may find the bring-back papers too that would be a big plus with this rifle.
    Totally agree with Warrior1354 on the care for your new k98. And the fact that it was brought back by your grandfather is awesome. I think it's great when there is family interest in the historical pass. I also appreciate you wanting to take proper care of the rifle by first asking for advise before maybe doing something really stupid and destroying a piece of history. Thanks for sharing.

Wow! You can't beat THAT way to acquire a nice rifle. Preserve and pass down. As much as some vets's families try to sell everything off I like it when stuff is kept in the family.

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior1354 View Post
    Thank you, yes i plan on keeping this rifle in the family for as many years as i am around. It would be neat to find the bring back papers but i am not really counting on it as my grandmother has moved a couple times, and most people in my family never even knew of these rifles she found.

Im definately going to buy a Golden Rod and keep this rifle in tip top shape to keep the condition the way it is.

I know this rifle is missing the Sight hood, and cleaning rod. I have found an original cleaning rod, but would you guys recommend me hunting down an original sight hood or would this be one of those instances i should just leave it. Other than the cleaning rod and maybe the sight hood i won't modify the rifle in any way, so no need to worry guys.

So here we have an unmolested true bring back, as pure as they get. Unless this rifle was shipped in a crate (in which case their should be capture papers) it doesn't support the bolt M/M stories about soldiers forced to remove the bolt when they boarded the ship and ending up with someone else's bolt when they disembarked. Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by GunKraut View Post
    So here we have an unmolested true bring back, as pure as they get. Unless this rifle was shipped in a crate (in which case their should be capture papers) it doesn't support the bolt M/M stories about soldiers forced to remove the bolt when they boarded the ship and ending up with someone else's bolt when they disembarked. Any thoughts?
    Sorry guys, i will ask my Grandma and mom if they have any info on bringback papers, or any story on how he brought the rifle back, but that is one of those things they probably know next to nothing about.