Third Party Press

My M53/MG42

JohnB593

This started out as a parts kit for a M53. Work started off by adding a replacement MG42 nose shroud/muzzle piece. I got the new build receiver halves from Brian at BRP Guns. All the needed cuts were measured off with a micrometer and work started on cutting all those out. A bolt extension was necessary for a SA gun as was a new spring and trigger pack. BRP again. With the help of a couple of buddies we got everything done and the gun ready for paint and the firing range. Paint used was DuraCoat Flat Black. I have to say this build was not a cheap undertaking and took the best part of two years. I took it to a range for a test shoot and found that a couple of small tweaks were needed. That done now I need to go back and "blast" away as a buddy of mine said. I decided that I may as well "augment" my M53/MG42 with at least one Mauser so I picked up a nice, matching numbers, Yugo M48. Then another. Then two German K98's. Now I have found I have been bitten by the Mauser Bug! More to come I'm sure......

Attachments

• 8-22-13 3.jpg
    8-22-13 3.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 93
  • My M53 6.jpg
    My M53 6.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 89
  • 9-4 2.jpg
    9-4 2.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 75
  • 9-13 2.jpg
    9-13 2.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 77
  • 9-17-14 2.jpg
    9-17-14 2.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 78
  • 12-5.jpg
    12-5.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 85
  • 12-17-14 2.jpg
    12-17-14 2.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 90
  • completed 002.jpg
    completed 002.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 109
  • 1-26-15 001.jpg
    1-26-15 001.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 106
M53

I am currently working on the same project. Just need a bolt and SA grip stick to finish up. After firing a full auto MG42 I had to have the next best thing.

Looks good congrats!

JDiehl

You may want to check out my listing for 8mm ammo for sale. 300 rounds loose per ammo can, or 80 rounds on stripper clips per box. :thumbsup:

Beautiful! Well done... Thanks for posting.. I have the Wise Lite and love it... Still nothing like building your own.. As for Mausers,.. they are addictive and just finished rebuilding my third G33/40... but you only need one while changing barrels or belts right? Ha Ha

What tweaks did you need to do? Mine loves Romanian as I'd get lots of light primer hits on Yugo that worked fine in my G43's...

tweaks

The bolt wasn't catching the round and pushing it into the breech because I didn't have the gun completely cocked. It is still very hard to pull the charging handle all the way back so what I have to do is push it all the way back with my foot with the stock on the ground. Like starting a old Harley LOL. That plus a good oiling and greasing.

Thanks! I had a hard time fully cocking mine when it was fresh out of the box. I went to an FJR lehr schulle event in Indiana and Brian from BRP was there. The one thing he reminded us all about was run them wet.. they love it like that.. It's held true for mine... Next to my FG42 that MG was a bear to lock n load! Boot prints on the handle for sure.

Have you had any ammo issues or will yours eat everything?

ammo issues

None so far. All I shoot is this which is pretty darn good ammo. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one with cocking "problems". LOL

Attachments

• mo ammo 001.jpg
    mo ammo 001.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 31
  • mo ammo 002.jpg
    mo ammo 002.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 27
All my other 8mm rifles love that ammo.. My MG not so much.. I can take a belt of it get a few hits out of say 10 tries.. Switch to the Romanian I bought perhaps 10 years ago and no failures...Found some Israeli and Portuguese that also no issues...

Binary trigger for semi auto M53????????

https://bearingarms.com/bob-o/2016/01/09/binary-firing-system-better-bumpfire/
Would it be possible to use a "binary trigger" in a semi auto mg42? I have seen video on YouTube that shows the binary trigger in action and while it wouldn't fire nearly as fast as a real mg42 would it would make the semi mg42 clone a little closer to the real thing. So what's everyone's opinion on it working in a semi auto build for a mg42? I have a m53 kit that I plan to get turned into a semi auto and thought the binary trigger would be neat for a semi auto M53.

The bolt wasn't catching the round and pushing it into the breech because I didn't have the gun completely cocked. It is still very hard to pull the charging handle all the way back so what I have to do is push it all the way back with my foot with the stock on the ground. Like starting a old Harley LOL. That plus a good oiling and greasing.

Have you tried pulling the cocking handle all the way back without the recoil spring? You may have a misalignment between the rails and the buffer where your home made bolt extension rubs against the buffer spring. Also, did you shorten the recoil spring by about 2 inches to compensate for the additional length of the bolt extension?

Military Rifle Journal
Back