Third Party Press

Steyr M95 Long, Czech property marked, Possible bring back, Unit markings German?

rockisle1903

Bought this rifle recently at auction..It is a Steyr Model 95 long rifle acquired by Czechoslovakia denoted by the S Lion 6 marking on the barrel shank...It is still in the original 8x50 chambering...The rifle is duffle cut and was wondering about the Unit markings on the butt plate and the stamped in the side of the stock...Any help would be appreciated...

Attachments

• steyr m95 001.jpg
    steyr m95 001.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 86
  • steyr m95 003.JPG
    steyr m95 003.JPG
    283.6 KB · Views: 65
  • steyr m95 007.JPG
    steyr m95 007.JPG
    272.4 KB · Views: 72
  • steyr m95 008.jpg
    steyr m95 008.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 60
  • steyr m95 002.jpg
    steyr m95 002.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 93
  • steyr m95 006.jpg
    steyr m95 006.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 82
  • steyr m95 005.JPG
    steyr m95 005.JPG
    283.1 KB · Views: 78
SA marking

Normally such SA markings as on the butt stock indicates use by the Finnish Army. After the winter war in 1939 they were getting guns from everywhere. Could be that their german Allies passed it to them. Harry

I'm guessing the buttplate unit mark is probably Czech. Maybe a poorly stamped 'NG' for Národní Garda (National Guard), 8th Battalion? The Guard existed for 4 years or so (1935-1939) and would like have received substandard weapons like the M95. 'NC' doesn't seem to fit with anything Czech or Austro-Hungarian.

Stock markings are probably not Finnish IMO.

Edit: Found a pic of some Národní Garda men (from Turnov apparently) in training in 1936. Certainly looks like an M95 in his hands.

Attachments

• vz28-7.jpg
    vz28-7.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Thanks for the info Ryan. I figured the buttplate markings were Czech. It is the stock markings I am most interested in. Great photo also. And again thanks for the help, Mike

St could be for "Steiermark". I've once had a M.95 rifle with a H.St. marking on the butt of the stock, it was Heimwehr Steiermark. However, the font was much larger and it was in one line, with the two dots as I have written it.

It could be unit stamp of Narodní Garda, anyway there was probably other marking under it, the depot stamp is for HQ Brno, i assume the ST stamps could be a inventory stamp, not from begin there.b.r.Andy

I highly doubt the stock markins are finnish. I have only seen one example of a finnish stock marked with the [SA] mark and that appeared to have been an unusal example done by a field depot http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinMarks02.htm (scroll down to the very bottom). In my experiance, the [SA] mark is invariably applied to the receiver or barrel shank of finnish used weapons.

Sorry to bring back a thread from the dead, but I can't for the life of me find this rifles pics on my hard drive to start a new one...Anyway, I believe this rifle may have been marked to belong to the Sturmabteilung and would be possible that this rifle may have been Volkssturm issued due to the fact the SA was in charge of them...Here is a thread that shows a very similar SA mark on a trainer...
http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread.php?28830-Early-BSW-made-KKW-SA-marked
Any thoughts on this would be appreciated, thanks for looking...

Military Rifle Journal
Back