Third Party Press
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M.89/36 Belgian

Default M.89/36 Belgian

As a followup to Pat's Belgian M.35. I've been looking for one of these for awhile in matching shape. I like them because I like oddballs, reworks, repairs and this is a quintessential "rework" ;) This one has the original sling and rod and is 100% matching. These are generally found well used. The Belgians saw some of the writing on the wall by the mid-30s and knew they needed service rifles, quickly, which could serve alongside the M.35. They had plenty M.89s and upgraded these. The M.89s were rebarreled, M.89 stocks salvaged and pieced together inletted for the new barrels, and the bolts upgraded with a Mauser rear end welded / installed. As you can see, the M.89 bolt front end body was used, the old serial on the back lined out, and the new serial stamped on the front of the stem. If anyone has another nice matching M.89/36 or M.35 holler because I'm looking for them and I trade
    Attached Images Attached Images

Also, note this rifle is stamped with a "U" on the buttstock. There is a theory that these were so marked to indicate training use by the Germans. Below is a pic Peter U sent me showing the M.89/36 in use. I thought it was Luftwaffe troops, but Peter informed me these were Belgians serving in the Luftwaffe, and training at a castle near his home (Tks Peter).

I have an all matching Anciens Etablissements Pieper Herstal M1889/36 in my collection. I'll try to post some pictures in a few days.

Quote Originally Posted by UNPROFOR1994 View Post
    I have an all matching Anciens Etablissements Pieper Herstal M1889/36 in my collection. I'll try to post some pictures in a few days.
    Very good! Those rarely turn up here, so that would be great if you posted some pics.

Nice rifle Hambone!

Gorgeous rifle Hambone, thanks for sharing! A very, very appealing example.
    Best,
    Pat
    For My Fallen Brothers:
    WW 2001
    WS 2004
    MD 2009
    JH 2009
    ER 2009
    DS 2009
    DN 2009
    WB 2014

Never Forgotten.

Very nice! Now you just need one with the modified bayonet lug.

Thanks guys. Peter U found me a cool original Belgian M.31 combat helmet and well, I need rifles to go with my helmets, and I thought something as reworked as a M.89/36 could be justified as a need, not a want, (i.e., goes with helmet, fits rework/rebuild collection). But man, it was tough finding one. Same thing with an M.35 like Pat posted.

Very nice model 36 rifle!!!!! those from MAE are made , sometimes, with brand new,not used yet , spare parts .
    The ones from Anciens Etablissements Pieper Herstal are more worn out ,the parts came from used 1889 rifles and many go to the colony's .
    About 100.000 where produced for the Belgian Army in both factory's belg.jpgwo-i-afrika-5-soldiers_in_the_belgium_congo_-_nara_-_197079.jpg
    Last edited by BATANGUENO; 04-04-2015 at 04:33 PM.

Yes, that is is nice one! I wish mine was all matching rather than the "Bitser" it is. At some point mine got a matching s/n added to the left buttstock in French fashion, perhaps post war somewhere. They are a very interesting conversion!