Third Party Press
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Winter Triggers, manual insert, etc.

Collector /Militaria Dealer Gerard's Avatar

more photos....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    WTB: K98 rifles that are matching and untouched. See my want list:http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread....ched-condition

Gerard,

Yours is definitely original. The quality of construction is the key to determining legitimacy, and some salient features.

The looseness is normal when it is not installed on a rifle. The spring clips ar pushed out by the TG when installed, and the plate fits tighter.

Let's merge this thread with the sticky, farb, and continue detailed discussion over there.

Jeff
    Collecting latewar K98k rifles and snipers and scopes, and WWII German 6x30 binoculars.

INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

It may be that your plate is from a different maker, but I suspect that isn't the case. Like Jeff said, your winter trigger is original by the design features. Attached is an original eeu 15 marked version- note that the weld attachment is not in the direct center of the trigger handle, common on these in my experience. The fakes you see are different and have the pin in the middle of the handle, like the eeu44 posted. I'm not sure if it's a hard and fast rule, but thats one way I use to tell them apart as the fakes are pretty close copies. Also note the Mod.98 marking differences- from what I have seen originals should look exactly like yours. Lastly, note the thinner metal used on the handle loops.
    Order the new K98k book at www.thirdpartypress.com
    Don't forget to visit www.latewar.com for info on late war 98k's.

Default Winter Trigger

Here is an odd one... 44 WaA66 ...BILL

Afew more.....BILL

Well, that's the thing. In my opinion, there really are few good fakes.

The "s" marked triggers are regarded by some as "fake", but I do not believe that word fits those triggers at all. I believe (for whatever that is worth) that the "s" triggers were produced at a very minimum on wartime tooling, and quite possibly pre-May 1945 as well. They are identical in every regard to all the known wartime triggers in all aspects of manufacturing method and materials.

The "s" code has been attributed to Dynamit A-G Vorn Alfred Nobel, St Lambrecht (Austria), they made ammunition primers, and sheet metal production may not have been a stretch (think Smith Corona and Frigidaire and other wartime manufacturers producing weapons outside thier normal wares due to capability based on existing equipment). But tht is admittedly unlikely.

There has also been speculation about postwar production for existing militaries which continued to field the K98k post WWII.

The faked "ofh" and some "eeu" varieties do not even approach the construction quality of the "s" triggers, though some "eeu" ones come closer than the "ofh" junk.

My opinion only, again, but there it is.

Jeff
    Collecting latewar K98k rifles and snipers and scopes, and WWII German 6x30 binoculars.

INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Quote Originally Posted by bill grist View Post
    Here is an odd one... 44 WaA66 ...BILL
    That indeed is an odd one, Bill. I have to admit, there are things about it that make me uneasy, like the "k98" hand stamed and the lever and rivet construction.

Any other markings that can't be made out on the photos?

jeff

INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Quote Originally Posted by ditch68 View Post
    That indeed is an odd one, Bill. I have to admit, there are things about it that make me uneasy, like the "k98" hand stamed and the lever and rivet construction.

Any other markings that can't be made out on the photos?

jeff
    I agree with Jeff, that one is questionable just based on some of the construction. How and when did you obtain it?
    Order the new K98k book at www.thirdpartypress.com
    Don't forget to visit www.latewar.com for info on late war 98k's.

Quote Originally Posted by ditch68 View Post
    Well, that's the thing. In my opinion, there really are few good fakes.

The "s" marked triggers are regarded by some as "fake", but I do not believe that word fits those triggers at all. I believe (for whatever that is worth) that the "s" triggers were produced at a very minimum on wartime tooling, and quite possibly pre-May 1945 as well. They are identical in every regard to all the known wartime triggers in all aspects of manufacturing method and materials.

The "s" code has been attributed to Dynamit A-G Vorn Alfred Nobel, St Lambrecht (Austria), they made ammunition primers, and sheet metal production may not have been a stretch (think Smith Corona and Frigidaire and other wartime manufacturers producing weapons outside thier normal wares due to capability based on existing equipment). But tht is admittedly unlikely.

There has also been speculation about postwar production for existing militaries which continued to field the K98k post WWII.

The faked "ofh" and some "eeu" varieties do not even approach the construction quality of the "s" triggers, though some "eeu" ones come closer than the "ofh" junk.

My opinion only, again, but there it is.

Jeff
    Hi,
    My "s" marked winter trigger. Fits and works perfectly on a K98k.

Also a picture of a MP44 gas plug S marked.

Regards,
    Antoni

This one could have used some lube: