Third Party Press

Mauser Oberndorf Sg98/05 Bayonet Production during World War I

Loewe

Moderator²
Staff member
Mauser Oberndorf is a well-known manufacturer of the German “butcher” bayonet, which resembles a butchers knife, but few realize that Mauser Oberndorf was not the actual manufacturer of the bayonets. Some years ago Jon Speed revealed the facts behind the production of the bayonets, in his Collector Grade book titled “Mauser: Original Oberndorf Sporting Rifles” page 50; however he left out much of the details of the relationship.

Today, Jon Speed tells us the rest of the story!

Jon Speed recently provided the documents from his archives that show the relationship in detail. During April 1915 Mauser Oberndorf contracted with “Unionwerk Mea G.m.b.H. Elektrotechnishe Fabrik Eisenwerk” at Feuerbach (northwestern suburb of Stuttgart) for the manufacture of 1,500,000 to 2,000,000 bayonets between July 1915 and July 1920, these bayonets were to be made at Mauser’s expense, who would cover operating costs and 1 Mark per bayonet. The contract also allows for a cancellation if the government doesn’t authorize the expenditure.

Although Mauser contracted for such a large number of bayonets, a million and half or more, the bayonets are not especially common, - though not scarce either. Many have been recorded and several studies list it in the “common” category of the manufacturers, however my own research suggests they are one of the “less common” amongst the commonly encountered makers. Known bayonets cover the range 1915-1918, the 1915 dated probably the most difficult to find, probably because production did not begin before July 1915, and 1917-1918 dated the most common date encountered.. Sawback blades are only known dated 1916 and 1917, my research shows 1917 sawbacks more common than 1916 dated.

The bayonets can also be found with Mauser Oberndorf made scabbards, which are a little less common and in my experience command a small premium over unmarked scabbards. How many bayonets were actually delivered is unknown, or Jon Speed did not say(**), but I suspect many were sent to Turkey, and that probably explains why the Mauser made bayonets are less common than you would expect. I have seen many cut down bayonets that have signs of Turkish service, and it is likely many ended up there.

Here are some pictures of the actual contract between the two firms, with the signatures of Mauser directors Schmid and Doll.

** Update, Jon Speed was able to determine approximately how many bayonets were made:

Paul , checked in my Mauser records and can say that app. 1,105,900 Bayonets were made by /for Mauser during WWI. I am sure the figure could be a bit higher as the Bayonet data for 1914-15 is not clear. I have a 1916 Bayonet with metal sheath with WFM name on it in small letters. Regards, Jon

https://gewehr98.wordpress.com/2015...sg9805-bayonet-production-during-world-war-i/

Attachments

• P1020156BK.jpg
    P1020156BK.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 59
  • P1020158.jpg
    P1020158.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 44
  • P1020160.jpg
    P1020160.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
This is GREAT information! Thanks to both Jon and yourself for providing.

I would agree with your observations that these bayonets are actually scarcer (in my limited experience) than some of the reference material purports. It is also worth noting that more than one marking variation exists for these Mauser examples. An interesting sub-set of details for further research.

I will pull out my pieces in the next day or so and post some details .....

That would be great Slash, post up whatever observations you think of interest!

I had thought of posting this in your forum, or rather duplicating it, but wasn't sure the interest regards WWI, as you guys are usually into WWII topics, - but if you like, you can duplicate the post there, or do one yourself using Jon's information.

Last edited:
I have oneon order!

I looked at one of these last Sunday at our Forks of the Delaware Historic Arms Society monthly meeting. I considered buying it but did not. I believe it was a 1917 blade and the back of the scabbard was marked Mauser Werke Oberndorf in very small letters. Not mint but decent condition.
I then received Loewe's blog about these bayonets and called the friend who had the bayonet and bought it. I will take posession at our May 8-10 Allentown, PA show.
Thanks again for sharing this information.

I currently have one WMO bayonet, with a Saxon Landsturm unit mark. It is unclear whether it is marked 15 or 16, bad stamp and the picture did not turn out. I have been looking for a WMO scabbard for it for a few years, but the only one I have come across was painted black so I returned it.

Attachments

• IMG_1052.jpg
    IMG_1052.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1053.jpg
    IMG_1053.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1054.jpg
    IMG_1054.jpg
    266.2 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1055.jpg
    IMG_1055.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1056.jpg
    IMG_1056.jpg
    282.2 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_1057.jpg
    IMG_1057.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 42
I am glad the information was useful, I am sure Jon feels the same way, - he is a tremendous resource, on Mauser in particular, but his knowledge and experience covers much more also. Our interests coincide on many areas, the economy and industry of 19th and early 20th century Germany also.

I saw your comments John, from the blog post about the bayonet, I am glad you went forth and picked it up, with a matching scabbard it is a very nice find. I have owned a few MO bayonets, the 1918 I used in the blog post was one of them, but the bards, I have only owned a couple and seen only a handful more over the last 15-20 years. Though I am sure they are not "rare", they are a elusive.

Cyrus, that is one hell of a bayonet, unit marked are rather rare, but such a neat one is really rare, - I have not studied the maker marking variations to the extend Lance has, but the only really noticeable maker marking difference between the years seem to be the "dash" (-) between the "Mauser" and "A.G.", all 1916 have one, as do most 1915's, but a few 1915 seem to lack the marking (though it could be worn or the angle of photograph). All 1917 lack the dash. The bards come in at least two different marking patterns also, and seem to be original to the bayonets (delivered together), as i have recorded a few with matching inventory numbers that correspond to both bayonet-scabbard. (both bayo and bard have matching digits on them, one can assume they were issued together as the numbers match and the makers do also.)

Wish I could find a good picture of a MO bard, I sold the couple I once owned, here are two of them, - both were MO, with serial numbers, but m/m, but back then I didn't have a good camera. The last one I sold, I think I had three altogether over the years, I couldn't find a picture of. - The really rare scabbards are the F.Herder-Solingen ones...

Attachments

• m1.jpg
    m1.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 45
  • m4.jpg
    m4.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 39
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 43
  • ms2.jpg
    ms2.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 41
  • ms3.jpg
    ms3.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 46
  • ms4.jpg
    ms4.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 38
Picked up this Mauser SG98/05 W/15 today on a flea market.
The blade is ok, but the hilt ...... :-(

Attachments

• IMG_0083.JPG
    IMG_0083.JPG
    287.4 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0084.JPG
    IMG_0084.JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 33
Still, 1915 are tough to find, the 1916-17's are easiest, but recently Jon has sent more details on WFM Sg98/05 production, though nothing that is related to the actual bayonets and collecting them. But these books show the nature of the contract to make them, the books on cost accounting were enormous and very detailed, here are some pictures Jon sent, to share with those that are interesting in the relationship (and its complexity)

Paul, to add to the Bayonet story !! Something which few folks have ever seen, nor realized occurred, was the intensity of German Cost Accounting on manufactured products. I have sent a pic of the WFM Cost Calculation book from 1917 of the 98/05 Bayonet. This is almost 2 X1 feet and 12 pounds . There is a steel 12 inch ruler at bottom for scale. It holds single cost books for each part and has data on each machine process and what this costs in Salary and Material and Waste by the month!

1. Main Book
2. Title of Book- Cost Calculations for Bayonet 98/05 in 1917
3. Shows inside page with Cost calculations by the month
4. Book Title for Salary Costs
5. Total Cost Book Title
6. Inside page shows All basic costs
7.Shows some of the single Parts books

Attachments

• P1020164.jpg
    P1020164.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 22
  • P1020165.jpg
    P1020165.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 22
  • P1020170.jpg
    P1020170.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 28
  • P1020172.jpg
    P1020172.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 14
  • P1020173.jpg
    P1020173.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 16
  • P1020175.jpg
    P1020175.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 23
  • P1020177.jpg
    P1020177.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 16
More wonderful information Paul, thanks for posting these. I'm still working on the details for the maker marking variations as discussed. You are hitting on the details in your post above, however. There are two or more variant blade markings and at least four different scabbard markings.

On another note, I have found the 1918 pieces to be quite scarce as well. Not as difficult to locate as the 1915 dates but far from common. Are these your observations also?

Last edited:
Great, I hope to see your detailed examination soon! Mine are only cursory observations, based upon limited observation. 10-15 years ago, I was heavy involved in recording all German bayonets, Imperial through 1945, so i have a large database on them, but the last 5 or so years I have slacked off recording them, mostly because I stopped buying them.

Yes, my observations also show 1918 less commonly encountered, but 1915 even less so, the vast majority encountered seem to be 1916-1917 dated. However i am sure you have more reliable information, as you collaborate with bayonet collectors and I do not.

More wonderful information Paul, thanks for posting these. I'm still working on the details for the maker marking variations as discussed. You are hitting on the details in your post above, however. There are two or more variant blade markings and at least four different scabbard markings.

On another note, I have found the 1918 pieces to be quite scarce as well. Not as difficult to locate as the 1915 dates but far from common. Are these your observations also?

Two more Mauser 1915 from a fellow collector over here.

Attachments

• Foto 2.jpg
    Foto 2.jpg
    286.5 KB · Views: 43
  • Foto 1.jpg
    Foto 1.jpg
    285.2 KB · Views: 44
Wolfgang, that is a damn nice one! In that condition it is probably worth a good pfennig or two!

Wolfgang, that is a damn nice one! In that condition it is probably worth a good pfennig or two!

Check it out Paul; it's not a nice one but a nice two! There are actually two bayonets there. A pair of 1915 dates - one a Transitional S98/05aA and the other a S98/05nA. Very nice! Thanks for posting Wolfgang ....

Indeed Lance, I entirely overlooked that! Which probably shows the 1915's should have the dash (-) between the "Mauser" and "A.G."; I wasn't sure about 1915 earlier, some seem to lack it, but the pictures have lousy angles, but this seems to suggest 1915 should have the dash and it was only dropped later.

I have not been able to record too many WFM/15's especially ones with clear dates to identify them.

Trademark Varitions

I have not located all of my notes regarding this interesting topic but wanted to put some information forward. Also having some camera issues so will try and add some detailed pics later. Have tried to record the subtle differences in the information below. As mentioned previously there is some variation in the markings of the WMO bayonets. This is especially notable in the scabbards but also on the blade's ricasso markings as well. There are at least three blade markings:

Type I Blade

WAFFENFABRIK
MAUSER A.G.
OBERNDORFa.N.

This marking is approximately 8mm by 20mm in size (extreme outside dimensions) and is found on some of the 1915 dated bayonets. The widest portion of this trademark is the WAFFENFABRIK top line.

Type II Blade

WAFFENFABRIK
MAUSER-A.G.
OBERNDORFa.N.

Note the addition of a dash between the Mauser and AG as mentioned by Loewe in a previous post. This marking is again approximately 8mm by 20mm in size and is noted on 1916 dated S98/05 and some of the earlier 1915 marked examples. The inclusion of the dash is the only essential variance between this marking and the Type I Blade.

Type III Blade

WAFFENFABRIK
MAUSER A. G.
OBERNDORF a. N.

This marking is found on the 1917 and 1918 dated pieces and is very similar to the first style except in font and size. The marking here is presented in a nominally larger, thinner font than the first two styles. The marking in this case is approximately 9mm by 23mm in size. The widest part of the Type III Blade marking is the third line due to a notable spacing increase adjustment between the OBERNDORF and a. and N. In some cases the beginning O and concluding N. of the third line barely fit onto the ricasso! There is also additional spacing between the the A. and G. in the second line. On some occasions the dots after the A and G appear to be missing although this may be from use or perhaps die stamp wear. The depth and clarity of this stamping is not as noticeable or distinct as the Type I & II Blades.

There are at least four WMO scabbard markings confirmed for the S98/05:

Type I Scabbard

WAFFENFABRIK
MAUSER-A.G.
OBERNDORFa.N.
+ (centered)

I have used a + sign here but the character is in reality a small stylized Maltese Cross and can be seen in one of Loewe's earlier posts.

Type II Scabbard

WAFFENFABRIK
MAUSER-A.G.
OBERNDORFa.N.
* (centered)

In this marking the Maltese Cross has been replaced by a "six armed" asterisk or star symbol. This symbol is slightly larger in size than the alphabetical characters. Note that both Type I and II Scabbard markings include the dash between the Mauser and AG in the second line of the trademark. I suspect that in keeping with the blade markings these are the earliest variations and date the star symbol as later than the cross as it would have been a simplification. This is merely a conclusion or speculation on my part.

Type III Scabbard

WAFFENFABRIK
MAUSERA.G.
OBERNDORFa.N.

This third scabbard marking eliminates any fourth line symbol as well as the dash between Mauser and AG. It should also be noted that there is virtually no space at that location in the actual marking. The R and A in the second line are very close together. The Type I, II, & III Scabbard markings are all relatively consistent in size at approximately 6mm by 9mm measured to their extreme outside dimensions, not including any fourth line symbol. An interesting anomaly of the Type III Scabbard is that numerous examples have been observed which are missing part of the concluding K in line one and the N. of line three. Perhaps a damaged or worn die stamp?

Type IV Scabbard

WAFFENFABRIK *
MAUSER A. G.
OBERNDORF a. N. *

This trademark is noticible different than those previous and is reminiscent of the Type III Blade marking in its wider, spread-out spacing and larger size. This marking is much wider being approximately 7mm by 15mm in size. The asterisks noted above are very small (but detailed) five point stars in the actual marking. Note again the spacing increase adjustment between the OBERNDORF and a. and N. There is also noticible additional spacing between the the A. and G. in the second line. This is the final scabbard marking variation that I am aware of.

In German Bayonets - The Models 98/02 and 98/05, Anthony Carter speaks of a scabbard marked with a five point star in the second line. Based on the description provided, the marking would have this appearance:

WAFFENFABRIK
MAUSER * A.G.
OBERNDORF a.N.

I have the utmost respect and admiration for the late Anthony Carter but my personal research and observations have been unable to confirm this marking. This said, it may certainly exist as well as other additional marking styles yet to be discovered.

The information presented above is based on available reference material, pieces in my own collection, and data/observations received from other researchers. As noted elsewhere, I have drawn some conclusions based on the available information in an attempt to determine the date progression of the markings. As an example, although scabbards are not dated one can draw some information from the observations of trademark styles found on pieces bearing matching issue, property, or rack numbers. Some of these conclusion may inadvertently be in error. Additional information, thoughts or comments (even if to the contrary) are encouraged and appreciated.

Last edited:
That is a first class analysis Lance, almost makes me regret loosing my Mauser Sg98/05's! At a minimum I wish I had taken better pictures of them...

Perhaps those with some nice examples can follow Wolfgang's and Cyrus's lead and post up their examples.

Not the best of photographs but here are a couple of shots of a Type II Scabbard marking from my collection.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 27
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 22
Type III Blade marking on a 1917 dated S98/05nA. Note the spacing of the third line and how close the OBERNDORF a. N. stamping is to the edges of the ricasso. Also evident is the uneven depth and quality of the marking in general. The bayonet is from my collection and was blued/refurbished in the early IIIR period with a crossguard stamped for issue to the RLM (Luftwaffe predecessor).

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 19
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 21
That is a first class analysis Lance, almost makes me regret loosing my Mauser Sg98/05's! At a minimum I wish I had taken better pictures of them...

Perhaps those with some nice examples can follow Wolfgang's and Cyrus's lead and post up their examples.

That really is first class analysis! Thanks.

I only have one more 1917 Mauser SG98/05 in my collection. Have to dig it out. But I'll ask the other collector, who provided the W/15 photos. As you can see from the attached photo, he has some more SG98/05.
Thanks

Attachments

• 98:05.jpg
    98:05.jpg
    297.1 KB · Views: 44
Paul and Wolfgang, thanks for the kind words. Understood Wolf; looks like your friend might have another S98/05 or two! Great collection and love the display.

Here is a photograph of the Type III Scabbard marking. I do not have one of these and have not seen many of this variation. The pic was collected from an Internet auction listing posted by a seller in France a year or so ago. This is the first scabbard type that does not exhibit the dash between Mauser and AG. Note also the close spacing as well as the weak N. of line three and the half missing K at the end of the top line as discussed above.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 23

Military Rifle Journal
Back