Third Party Press

Bolt screwup, help needed...

JohnB593

I forgot to put the bolt in "safe" before trying to disassemble it and of course it snapped the firing pin forward. Now I need to know how to fix this problem so I can reinstall the bolt in the gun and THEN put it on "safe", etc. :facepalm:

All you need to do is to pull rearward on the cocking piece far enough to move the safety lever to the center position.
There is a slot in the side of cocking piece that the rim of an 8mm shell case will fit into and can then be used to pull rearward against the spring tension.
You can also use the edge of a wood table to push against the underside of the cocking piece to get clearance to move the safety.

You are very welcome! I had the same with my first 98k in the 90's, my grandfather said "I had this problem, all of my comrades had it and now you have it too", then he showed me how to fix this.

I didn't figure I was the first to have this happen. LOL It's easy to have happen but, as I have found out, easy to fix. Thanks again for the input guys!

There is a slot in the side of cocking piece that the rim of an 8mm shell case will fit into and can then be used to pull rearward against the spring tension.

Who among you know a German document that describe this operation?

Military Rifle Journal
Back