304.4 KB · Views: 234
  • 100_1388.jpg
    100_1388.jpg
    312.2 KB · Views: 181
  • 100_1389.jpg
    100_1389.jpg
    318.2 KB · Views: 167
Not something you see ever day! Super cool. :hail:

Do you have any of the other variations? I've heard there are 3, but I've never seen any of them in detail.

Do you have any of the other variations? I've heard there are 3, but I've never seen any of them in detail.
Ryan, You are correct there is three variations... I only have the second but a collector friend of mime and just a bayonet collector has all three.. A type three showed up at a local show around here (NC) about 7 years ago but he did not want to sell it because his father a veteran brought it home as a souviner...BILL

Anyone have a picture - period or recent - of one attached to a rifle? I've never seen one attached.

S42 bAYONET vARIATIONS

I too have this same bayonet. I would like to see comparisons of all three models if anyone has all three to show off. I have looked at one that has sheet metal grips and scabbard. I also understand that there are variations of the tools. Would sure like to see all of the differences.

hey guys... new to the forum here.

this thread brought me here... recently came across a knife, and it took me a couple weeks just to find anything close to it on the net. I think it is one of these SG42 toolkit bayonets, however I have yet to find one with markings and setup exactly like this one.

The general look is exactly like an SG42 toolkit bayonet that you see in pictures when googled... but a couple things are different.

First, the tool in the handle, im not sure it has the ilk or whatever the three letters are on the can opener part (but I havent attempted to clean it). However, on the black release handle for the tool, it does have a small number '14' on it.

Second, the rivets in the handle seem to be closer together than most pictures I have seen, so the top rivet closest to the blade is a little further down the handle and not as close to the blade as seen in the pictures above.

Third are the blade markings. All of these that I have seen have the 'cof WaA519' wing stamp all on the same side of the blade. mine has cof stamped on one side, and then just '519' stamped on the other side with the little symbol. There is no 'WaA' preceding the numbers 519 as seen in most examples. Also the base of the blade seems to be a darker 'black' like color.

Fourth, the little latch that clips into the black handle for the tool is more centered into the black handle, whereas a lot of pictures I have seen is seems to be off-centered to the right.

Wondering if anyone can shed any light on this... normally I would just assume this was a repo or fake, but I feel as this should be genuine b/c I got it from my gpas basement, who was a WWII veteran, and he wasnt a collector of anything and he didnt buy much in terms of that type of stuff. He didn't go to stores that would sell stuff like this and he didn't even know what the internet was. In fact, this knife was just hanging out with the rest of his tools, right next to the sockets and screwdrivers.

I am just trying to pinpoint exactly what it is and where it came from and all of that. I am not even concerned with value, because similar to what was mentioned above, this was a souvenir that he brought home from war.

I will add pictures later today. Thanks.

Okay... after searching multiple forums and even foreign sites... I FINALLY found a picture that looks exactly like the one I have. I will still upload actual pictures of mine tonight. One again, any info or help is much appreciated!

Here is the site I found it on:
http://www.waffensammler-kuratorium.de/SG42V/SG42Vda.html
(the site is in German, but if you use Google Chrome browser, it will translate it)

sg42vb5.jpg

sg42vb2.jpg

sg42vb6.jpg

sg42vb7.jpg

If it looks like the photos you posted, it is a first variation SG42. Bill's is a second variation. They were designed to replace the S84/98 bayonet, but it never happened for one reason or another and not many were made. There are fakes floating around, so post some clear pictures of yours in a new thread so we can take a look.

I know you said you are not interested in value since it belonged to your grandfather, but these are very rare (third variation especially) and complete examples in good condition sell for thousands of dollars.

Ok... got pictures now... took lots. Still very confused, cause the stamps are on seperate sides of the blade. and the one stamp just says 519. also on the tool that removes from the handle, you can see that its setup slightly different, and also on the can opener where the usual ilk marking is, it looks as though its a 'Kissing Crane' emblem. I know of the emblem because of another knife I have from that company. However, I searched the internet thoroughly and could not find a case of that company making a fake/repo/replica of this bayonet. So confused the more I read, haha.

Anyways here's all the pics: (thanks!)

87bde247.jpg372a3ac6.jpg4dd13677.jpg817e61c0.jpg

1a39ccb0.jpgc239b403.jpge6821141.jpg94cebb39.jpg

a6fba26e.jpg6e15e49b.jpg8a91d12d.jpg01eec182.jpg

2d5efaf5.jpga9b53593.jpgced21618.jpg2a3b7826.jpg

Last edited:
I'm no expert on these, but the scabbard and blade markings are unlike anything I have ever seen on an SG42, real or fake. The kissing cranes is actually the commerical logo of Robert Klaas (ltk), who did produce the tools during the war.

weird... well hopefully I can find someone that can offer some insight on it. would really love to know all the details of its origin, authenticity, value, etc.

weird... well hopefully I can find someone that can offer some insight on it. would really love to know all the details of its origin, authenticity, value, etc.

Keep an eye on this thread, we have some serious bayonet collectors that drop in now and then that will be able to tell you for sure.

I am subscribed to this thread, so I will anxiously await any kind of a post from someone that has any info to offer. I also submitted the bayonet to an appraisal company to see if maybe they can offer some more information on it. Once I get the results, I will be sure to update this thread so that future people searching for information can see it.

The mysterious nature of this bayonet has made it all the more interesting to me! I was really thinking it was a fake after seeing the kissing cranes logo, it made me assume someone patched it together and used a can-opener piece from a kissing crane knife... but now that you tell me that logo was the commercial logo and is correct for the period, it just makes me want to know more!

Now if I can figure out what the number 14 means, because it is marked on the handle of the toolkit as well as on one of the foldout items of the toolkit.

well... learned my lesson the hard way regarding online appraisals. Here was the result of my appraisal on this bayonet:

Description:
A good Second World War German tool kit bayonet. probably for a german machine gun unit

Measurements:
Height: 13 inches, Width: 2 inches, Depth: 1 inches

Date:
Second World War.

Value:
$100 - $120

Additional Comments:
That's sterling. The letters COF on the blade are code for the makers, which is rather uncommon.

WOW... I literally told them more than that in the description I sent with the detailed photos. What a waste of my time.

Wow, that's disappointing. Incidentally, I'd like them to point me to $100 tool bayonets and I'll buy them all day long!

Edit: You should really get in touch with the Bayonet Collectors Network and have them take a look at your pictures. A lot of hardcore collectors there from all over the world, I'm certain a couple of them would be able to help you (in addition to some of the formidable collectors here).

SG42 'TOOL' Bayonets

SG42 all models.jpg Here's a photo of all three(3) SG42 versions. There was the AR10 post
WWII copy also made. None of these are mine . . .

Ron Berkeley, USA

Military Rifle Journal
Back